Home Cigar 101

Humidity Pillows in Packages

Renaissance_ManRenaissance_Man Posts: 973 ✭✭
Cigars 101

I just wanted to give a tip to everybody regarding Humidity Pillows. I have been getting cigars in the mail sometimes with the pillow placed in a pretty bad way, which can result in disastrous effects. When you place a humidity pillow right next to your cigars, you end up with cigars covered in gel. However we look at it - it is not a very desirable situation. The least, if the cigars themselves are not affected, you end up with sticky and gooey cellophane wrappers, which on their turn stick and glue to your other cigars. To avoid this ALWAYS separate the pillow from direct contact with the cigars - the same way you do with your regular humidifier in your humidor. You have several options (all of which I have employed in the packages I send):
1. You put all the cigars in an additional plastic baggie and then put them and the pillow in your zip-lock bag.
2. You put everything in the box and put the pillow on top of them in the actual box. Don't worry - it will still help... Not a very good option though...
3. You wrap the cigars in cellophane or thin garbage bag plastic and then slip them in the zip bag with the pillow.
4. You put a paper/cardboard card in-between the cigars and pillow within the zip bag.

There are a lot of other ways, of course, but the bottom line is - try to separate the cigars from direct touch with the pillow. It will make your trading partner very very happy!

Now how do YOU guys put ur pillows :)? Any other ways we can do this?

Comments

• T. GervaisT. Gervais Posts: 239
    So your saying I probably shouldn't put a humi-care pillow in my humidor in close proximity to my cigars? Because thats exactly what I have going on right now.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    T. Gervais:
    So your saying I probably shouldn't put a humi-care pillow in my humidor in close proximity to my cigars? Because thats exactly what I have going on right now.
    Actually in the humi they aren't such a problem. I use them in one of my humi's, and have for over a year now with no problems.

I wonder if it has something to do with pressure from flying when an orderis shipped out that way.

For a while C.Com was sending out pillows which were over-filled and they were popping during shipping. Then there was a time when the pillows were coming almost dry. But lately they have been just right. Not too much or too little water added.

If you are worried about direct contact with your sticks...place a small sheet of paper or cloth to just cover over the humi. It will still affect your RH in the humi just as well.
  • Renaissance_ManRenaissance_Man Posts: 973 ✭✭
    I agree with Laker... I use them too in my humi - the cheapest way to add "more" humidification. You can put them in close proximity - do NOT put them ON them or laying next to them or covering them somehow...
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    I have never heard of one bursting or leaking when in a humidor or if your using for temp storage in a baggie. The only ones I have heard probs with are the ones coming from an air shipment...I assume the pressure wreaks havok with them.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i thought that the pillows came in a little mini bag that was just big enough to fit one pillow. at the top were holes to let the humidity out. this solves the gel problem.
    kuzi16:
    i thought that the pillows came in a little mini bag that was just big enough to fit one pillow. at the top were holes to let the humidity out. this solves the gel problem.
    Not really... The gel still gets out. There are several factors that influence it:

1. It is an older humi pillow/bag.
    2. It is pretty hot out.
    3. The package has changed from places with higher pressure to places with lower pressure or vice versa - something that happens ALWAYS when you send a package to more than 200 miles away.
    4. There has been some fumbling around in the post office and the package has gotten kicked around a bit - it happens ALL the time.
    5. There was pressure applied to the pillow/package/bag

I am sure there are other reasons as well, but these are the most common ones. It is interesting really. We think that once the pillow is in its little bag its all perfect, but its far from the truth. The only thing of this sort that I have found 100% does NOT leak out gel or crap has been the DryMistat tubes...
    I have never ever heard of a problem with the Boveda Packs -My favorite choice for humidification-thats what I use in all 3 humis -never had the first hint of a problem. AND they work perfectly ...
    I do use the humi pillows at work for temp humidification ...
    gmill880:
    I have never ever heard of a problem with the Boveda Packs -My favorite choice for humidification-thats what I use in all 3 humis -never had the first hint of a problem. AND they work perfectly ...
    Hm... Never tried the Boveda-s... Gonna look them up now. Do they work on the same principle? If they are cost effective (they do not cost majorly than pillows) I will prolly switch to them... I was looking at humidification disks too today. Any experience with these? Its these small disks and you peel off the top and they have a ready solution in them already....
    Renaissance_Man:
    gmill880:
    Hm... Never tried the Boveda-s... Gonna look them up now. Do they work on the same principle? If they are cost effective (they do not cost majorly than pillows) I will prolly switch to them... I was looking at humidification disks too today. Any experience with these? Its these small disks and you peel off the top and they have a ready solution in them already....
    If you look around diff places you can find them a little cheaper ...they are probably not as cheap as humi pillows but in the long run -never having to worry about drying out etc etc and they work and work perfectly ...just toss and forget ///they are worth a little more to me ...I usually replace about every 10 weeks -so about 5 times a year roughly ///not bad for the peace of mind and perfect control ...I think you will be very happy with them if you try them several people on here swear by them myself included ...