Home Cigar 101

Mold question.

VisionVision Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
I found a few spots of mold on a few ISOM I just put in my wineador. They have been removed and separated. Now Im talking real small amounts.... half the size of a BB if not smaller. Should I pull all the cigars out of the wineador? None of the other cigars around them seem to be infected and the mold was on the top of the cap and not touching any other cigars. RH is at 70% (Xicar digital calibrated) and temp is at 65.

I did google the shizzzz out of the topic and all I found is to remove all the cigars, dry box 400-500 cigars and wipe the entire thing down.... Really??

I am also lowering the RH to 65% once my Boveda get here. I have ATM the 69% and had some KL at the bottom which I remove and hope to get beads in there soon too. I just when thru every uncelo'd cigar and all look fine, not moist, and are in great shape. I am going to watch them daily for the next month or so. I should of checked the ISOMs.. I just looked at the 5 others I have that didn't make it in the wineador and they all have very small spots. Meh... Im not worried..... anymore..... but would still love some insight.

Comments

• Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    I'd say your risk is probably minimal, but not zero. So it comes down to how much effort you want to put forth to reduce that risk even lower. What you found probably reduces your risk to zero, but that's a lot of work to put in. What you're doing probably reduces your risk some, but not to zero, but the value of going beyond that is really a personal decision. If it were me, I wouldn't go all out, I'd stay in the "Meh" camp.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It sounds like you caught it before it had a chance to spread, maybe these sticks were infected when you got them? keep a eye on that tray & see what happens. I wouldn't think it would affect the wineador itself, I did have to disinfect a traditional humi earlier this year, the whole process took about two weeks :(
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    I used to care about mold, now I don't. I wipe it off, put it straight in, and it doesn't break out. Call me crazy, but every time I saw it I separated them and wiped down. I never saw it come back... All my humis are 65, so I don't expect it to come back either. I did have a crazy spike earlier this year and a mold breakout in one box in my Wineador. Wiped down, put back in, no problems. I've got isom that showed up with them, wiped down, put right in, no issues.
  • perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    I used to care about mold, now I don't. I wipe it off, put it straight in, and it doesn't break out. Call me crazy, but every time I saw it I separated them and wiped down. I never saw it come back... All my humis are 65, so I don't expect it to come back either. I did have a crazy spike earlier this year and a mold breakout in one box in my Wineador. Wiped down, put back in, no problems. I've got isom that showed up with them, wiped down, put right in, no issues.
    I'm glad to read this, I had an ISOM tubo that had a spot on it. I wiped it off and put it in the humi and so far so good.