Home Cigar 101
Options

Cigar gift etiquette question.

Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
(This is all hypothetical. Just someting that I thought about asking.) Let's say I'm planning to buy and give someone a box of cigars as a gift for a special ocasion. I want them to be well rested because I expect that they may want to open and share the smokes immediately. I'm planning to purchase the box soon and keep in my humi for 6 months or a year. Is it proper for me to break the seal and inspect the cigars before storage or does the recipient expect the seal to be unbroken?

I suppose an experienced BOTL could apreciate the fact that you inspected them and rested them but an ocasional cigar smoker might not l understand and might even be offended if the seal is broken. And if you don't know them too well you wouldn't want to come off like a know-it-all while explaining why you broke the seal.

Comments

• Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You shouldn't need to explain anything. It's a gift, correct?
    If you are selling them to them, that is one thing. But gifting them, there shouldn't even be a question.
    In my mind anyways.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    My opinion... I would expect the seal to be unbroken and the box sealed. And that is how I would present a gift as well. The chances are very slight there will be something "wrong" with the cigars, so inspection is probably not necessary. I believe they will rest well enough in the same condition they are purchased in. A sealed box.
    It would seem odd to me if I received a box that was opened. Not to say I would not appreciate any gift of cigars open on sealed.
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    If I got it from a person with no experience I'd want it sealed but if I know the person knows what they are doing is want it inspected
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience:
    You shouldn't need to explain anything. It's a gift, correct?
    If you are selling them to them, that is one thing. But gifting them, there shouldn't even be a question.
    In my mind anyways.
    Agreed
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, I don't think I would even notice if the seal was broken. I've bought boxes before with the seal broken. It's not something I really put a thought into.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    Break the seal. Anyone offended by an open full box of cigars shouldnt get them. Anyone on the forum would welcome them with open arms, as should anyone else.

Actually they would probably piss and moan about how hard you hit them, then thank you and welcome them with open arms.
  • Options
    onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ddubridge:
    Break the seal. Anyone offended by an open full box of cigars shouldnt get them. Anyone on the forum would welcome them with open arms, as should anyone else.

Actually they would probably piss and moan about how hard you hit them, then thank you and welcome them with open arms.
    I tend to agree with this and I would be appreciative of the forthought you put into the gift. I can oly think of one occasion where your intentions might be misunderstood (by others in the party) so, IDK.