Home Ratings & Reviews

Jose L. Piedra

Anyone smoked one of these? I picked one up today and will likely light it up tomorrow. As a newbie, I'm not really sure what to look for. Anything in particular?

Comments

• laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    TheShaun:
    Anyone smoked one of these? I picked one up today and will likely light it up tomorrow. As a newbie, I'm not really sure what to look for. Anything in particular?
    Hey Shaun...Pm sent bro'.
  • TheShaun:
    I bought a box of these 3 months back...i have smoked one so far...im go to let them rest for about 5 months or so then try another one. Now these are an entry level Cuban cigar...nothing special...but its still a decent cuban smoke. I have the Cazadores size...almost 6x43...great stick to enjoy in the morning with a cup of joe.
  • vankleekkwvankleekkw Posts: 404
    These are great smokes for the price. They usually only need about 6 months past the box code to smoke good.

Only if they are legal that is. ;)
  • TheShaunTheShaun Posts: 425
    vankleekkw:
    These are great smokes for the price. They usually only need about 6 months past the box code to smoke good.

Legal for me. I'm in Canada!
    TheShaun:
    vankleekkw:

Legal for me. I'm in Canada!
    OK Shaun... you don't want to rub that one in, on these forums. LMAO
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Let's weigh the two things:

1: I'm in Canada, so I can legally get Cuban cigars.
    2: I'm still in Canada.

I don't know, to me the two seem to cancel each other out, eh :)
    j0z3r:

Hey...I was trying to NOT get something started Joe.

But that was just mean, LOL
    haha, all in good fun Doug, I like you guys, you gave us Jean-Claude Van Damme and his real life embodiment in Georges St-Pierre, what's not to love?
    j0z3r:

Don't forget
    3. I paid $6 for a $1.50 cigar since my government taxes the crap out of tabacco
    j0z3r:
    haha, all in good fun Doug, I like you guys, you gave us Jean-Claude Van Damme and his real life embodiment in Georges St-Pierre, what's not to love?
    Jean-Claude Van Damme AKA. "the muscles from Brussels" = Belgium

GSP = Canada
    vankleekkw:
    j0z3r:

Don't forget
    3. I paid $6 for a $1.50 cigar since my government taxes the crap out of tabacco
    That's the worst part!
    TheShaun:
    j0z3r:
    Jean-Claude Van Damme AKA. "the muscles from Brussels" = Belgium
    Alright then...Jean-Claudde should have been Canadian. :D
    vankleekkw:
    j0z3r:

Don't forget

Now that is just a low blow... usiing my own words against me.

It is true however. If it weren't for the unbelievable regulations and taxation on tobacco products there would be a few decent B&M's in this country.

I looked into it a little, to see if it might be something I could transition into.
    There would be no problem with competition, cause there really isn't any.
    The problem is with these outrageous taxes our sticks are so bloody expensive that there just aren't that many cigar smokers here.
    The regulations cause the poor store owners to ask so much for their sticks, both Cuban and Non-Cuban, that it is just a joke trying to find a source of good quality sticks at a price you could actually afford to smoke them.
    I mean paying like $25.70 for a Hemmingway Short Story is just an example of what I'm talking about.
    Just to make the comparison easy... C.COM lists these sticks at $6.58

That's why even tho the Cubans are legal up here... not too many guys can afford to smoke most of them, and certainly not all the time.
    It's crazy, isn't it Doug? We're following close behind here, though not quite as bad yet. Here in California, I wanted to buy a Padron in a cigar shop but couldn't bring myself to pay $10 for a cigar that sells for about $4 on here. It's all part of the same disease, public intolerance of smoking tobacco causes would-be smokers to re-evaluate the decision and cigar shops have to raise prices just to turn a profit. I think it's a sad state when people can't indulge in what they want because the government says it's no good...I can't wait to see where this ends up if our "health care reform" act gets put into action. If cigars and cigarettes aren't outright banned, the taxation and resulting price increases will be such that only the people with money will be able to partake.
    All these talks about the piedra got me "thinking" about smoking a Crema. Ummm, it was tasty.
    Just smoked this stick earlier this afternoon. Found it to be just blah. Nothing good, nothing bad in terms of flavour. Had a couple uneven burns, could have been me, could have been that the stick was out of the humidor since Friday, could have been the breeze by the water. Had varying draws throughout. Again, not sure how or why. Would not buy again.
    Are those the ones that are mixed filler, machine made?
    j0z3r:
    Are those the ones that are mixed filler, machine made?
    Probably. It was a pretty cheap cigar..... by Canadian standards anyway.
    Yes, these are a mixed filler machine made smoke. Also, try to remember that all sticks from the island need aging. The smokes that we are used to from other countries have had time to sit and age, most ISOMS taste harsh right away with a little amonia flavor to them. This is because they are young, this also makes them a little bit stong.

So I've read. ;)
  • vankleekkw:
    Yes, these are a mixed filler machine made smoke. Also, try to remember that all sticks from the island need aging. The smokes that we are used to from other countries have had time to sit and age, most ISOMS taste harsh right away with a little amonia flavor to them. This is because they are young, this also makes them a little bit stong.

So I've read. ;)
    Yea...let them rest for a while....my box code was January 09....pretty tasty now. Also they are not machine made anymore....they are hand made now...they earlier generation of JLP were machine made. Will make a great smoke after letting it rest for 6-12 months or so.