Home Cigar 101

What is that spicy flavour in the back of my throat?

Maybe not the best subject line ever.  I just finished smoking a Don Pepin Garcia Series JJ.

The finish was pretty spicy; only something I can compare to when you're eating some mexican food and get a chili stuck in the back of your throat.

I was wondering if this was something to do with my palate or (more likely) the type of tobacco used.  If so, what type of tobaccos or regions are most associated with this?

Thanks.

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i read the title of the post "what is that spicy flavor in the back of my throat?"

all i could think of was "delicious"

but seriously... its usually assosiated with stronger tobacco, as in a ligero leaf. some growing regions will bring that out. If you want less of it age the tobacco morew or use milder tobacco in your blend.
  • If you didn't like that, try the JJ with the Maduro wrapper. It's a little milder on flavor, but still very good and still medium bodied, not as spicy.

Ligero is definitely one leaf with that 'spice' quality. I agree with kuzi, delicious.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know this is a really old thread but I checked to see if this was discussed before so here we are.

Some cigars give me that sensation back at the top of my throat. Not really a flavor but a feeling like the top of my throat is wanting to close up. The flavors that I sense elsewhere while smoking theses cigars is pleasurable but this feeling annoys me somewhat. It happened again just now while smoking a Joya de Nicaragua Celebracion. There have been other sticks that have given off this sensation but the only one that I can remember exactly which stick it was would be the Perdomo 20th Anniversary Sun Grown. In fact I just dug another Perdomo 20th Anniversary Sun Grown out of the humi and I'm smokin' it now to see what happens. Yep, it's happening again with the perdomo even though the perdomo seems to be a bit smoother flavor overall than the Joya de Nicaragua Celebracion. Carbonated beverages seem to help wash the sensation down somewhat.

Is this sensation due to what is called spice?

And is it from ligero leaves in the filler or binder or the wrapper?

Is it from Sungrown Wrappers?

• MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    I know this is a really old thread but I checked to see if this was discussed before so here we are.

Some cigars give me that sensation back at the top of my throat. Not really a flavor but a feeling like the top of my throat is wanting to close up. The flavors that I sense elsewhere while smoking theses cigars is pleasurable but this feeling annoys me somewhat. It just happened again just now while smoking a Joya de Nicaragua Celebracion. There have been other stick that have given off this sensation but the only one that I can remember exactly which stick was the Perdomo 20th Anniversary Sun Grown. In fact I just dug another Perdomo 20th Anniversary Sun Grown out of the humi and I'm smokin' it now to see what happens. Yep, it's happening again with the perdomo even though the perdomo seems to be a bit smoother flavor overall than the Joya de Nicaragua Celebracion. Carbonated beverages seem to help wash the sensation down somewhat.

Is this sensation due to what is called spice?

And is it from ligero leaves in the filler or binder or the wrapper?

Is it from Sungrown Wrappers?

I have some ideas, but don't really know the answer. However, I've noticed that this is more likely to occur if I'm not well hydrated before or during a smoke. Don't know how much that helps, but that's one reason I keep the big cup of ice water near, even if I'm pairing with something stronger.

Can't say I remember it with the Celebracion. Really like that smoke.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
    there is a fine line between "spice" and "harsh"

i do find that when Nicaraguan tobacco falls below about 67% rh it tends to get a bit harsh. the pulpy texture of the smoke comes out a little too much.

to me, the difference is that spice is on the palate and harsh is on the throat.
    hope that helps at all?

though it is interesting to see a post i made 5 years ago.
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    there is a fine line between "spice" and "harsh"

i do find that when Nicaraguan tobacco falls below about 67% rh it tends to get a bit harsh. the pulpy texture of the smoke comes out a little too much.

to me, the difference is that spice is on the palate and harsh is on the throat.
    hope that helps at all?

though it is interesting to see a post i made 5 years ago.
    Yeah, it was very un-kuzi-like in some ways.

I think your assessment about the fine line between spice and harsh is correct.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
    Martel:
    Yeah, it was very un-kuzi-like in some ways.

I think your assessment about the fine line between spice and harsh is correct.
    i had not discoverd my love for medium bodied cigars yet. but it is what it is. we all have our own cigar journey.