Home General Discussion

Tobacco Barn

I visited a friend in Kentucky.... tobacco country!!! Couldn't help but to pull over to the side of the road and snap a photo. image

Comments

• That's a cool picture. I'm stealing it and setting it as my wallpaper.
  • Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    punkrawk_99:
    That's a cool picture. I'm stealing it and setting it as my wallpaper.
    At the risk of being unoriginal, I'm doing the same. Great pic.
  • kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    Thats a sweet pic ............. i honestly and truly have no intenions of copying what the other posters are going to do .......................................................................... ok i lied its my screen saver
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Did you put your crop in there???

Or take some for your own?
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    I'm putting it on my work computer just to make 'em crazy ..and that barn bears a striking resemblance to my grandfathers old barn before he passed away and its since been torn down ...damn nostalgia ...
  • rad1964rad1964 Posts: 190 ✭✭
    That image reminded me of the days I picked tobacco. Only the girls worked in the drying barns. But at lunch time the guys conveniently set up shop right outside to peek in! Nice picture.
  • right on you lucky dog
  • rad1964:
    That image reminded me of the days I picked tobacco. Only the girls worked in the drying barns. But at lunch time the guys conveniently set up shop right outside to peek in! Nice picture.
    Georges Bizet !!... right on the money with that one.....
    "The factory bell rings and the cigarette girls emerge from the factory, greeted by young men who have gathered to flirt with them ("La cloche a sonn
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i have seen many a tobacco barn in my day. i grew up hunting with my father and the land that we hunted on was owned by a tobacco grower. Ive harvested tobacco. ive seen it drying in the barn. ive helped break it down before it gets hung up.

when i say a cigar is "barnyard" the smell of the tobacco barn is what i remember.

my father and i would get out of his Jeep Cherokee, get out coats on, load up the guns, let out the dog, and walk right through the tobacco barn to get to the fields.

barns like the one pictured usually have a room attached to them thats about 10' x 10' that can be closed off to keep heat in. in this room they pull the tobacco off the stalk (its harvested from the field by cutting it at the base and jamming it on a long spike. when these spikes are full they ares put on trucks in the fields to take to the room). as they take the leaves off, they bunch them by the stem of the leaf to be hung.
  • Nice picture. Any idea what type tobacco it is? Kentucky is known for growing some of the best Burley tobacco there is. None the less, great picture. Here in NC, most of the tobacco is cured in gas heated barns. It's really ashame they don't do it much like this anymore.Sad [:(]