Home Cigar 101

Too much heat!

jayjay Posts: 1
Unfortunately my air conditioner has gone out & I can't fix it anytime soon. With this latest heat wave here in Southern California the room where I store my cigars (in humidors of course) has been getting up to as high as 100 degrees on some days. Humidity levels are good, ranging from 65%-70% RH depending on the individual humidor. Temps inside the humidors are ranging from 80-90 degrees. Will the cigars survive this heat or are they suffering irreversible damage?

Comments

• Renaissance_ManRenaissance_Man Posts: 973 ✭✭
    Dude! That's high! Try to not get over 80-85... Bring it down to the basement?
  • jay:
    Unfortunately my air conditioner has gone out & I can't fix it anytime soon. With this latest heat wave here in Southern California the room where I store my cigars (in humidors of course) has been getting up to as high as 100 degrees on some days. Humidity levels are good, ranging from 65%-70% RH depending on the individual humidor. Temps inside the humidors are ranging from 80-90 degrees. Will the cigars survive this heat or are they suffering irreversible damage?
    Watch out for beetles....
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I see beetles in your future...

"Long ashes my friends."

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    you may not get beetles.

most of the high end companies will fumigate.

i still think a basement would be a good option. its usually a bit cooler down there.
    Its not just the heat that "creates" beetles... You have to have some eggs there first. Otherwise - beetles start emerging as soon as temperatures hit 65... They love any environment with temps above 60-65... Yes, true that at higher temps they thrive, but do not spook him so much as of yet. However, it IS pertinent for you to lower the temp. If there was even ONE egg in ONE poorly made cigar... you are in for a LOT of trouble... :(.. Good luck!
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Renaissance_Man:
    Its not just the heat that "creates" beetles... You have to have some eggs there first. Otherwise - beetles start emerging as soon as temperatures hit 65... They love any environment with temps above 60-65... Yes, true that at higher temps they thrive, but do not spook him so much as of yet. However, it IS pertinent for you to lower the temp. If there was even ONE egg in ONE poorly made cigar... you are in for a LOT of trouble... :(.. Good luck!
    you mean 75* my humidor is in the neighborhood of 70 all year round and never have i once had beetles. the accepted standard in the industry is 70/70. i doubt it would be the standard if that was in beetle range.
  • KamelyonKamelyon Posts: 109
    I am now grossed out. I can't stop thinking about how many beetle eggs I have smoked in my cigars...*shudder*
  • HugemooseHugemoose Posts: 458
    Yeah have your humi live in the basement. That's were mine is now because it stays at a constant 69 degrees nearly year round. I used to have it in my room but it fluctuated too much.
    kuzi16:
    Renaissance_Man:
    you mean 75* my humidor is in the neighborhood of 70 all year round and never have i once had beetles. the accepted standard in the industry is 70/70. i doubt it would be the standard if that was in beetle range.
    Nah... 65... They are tough little creatures. 65 is enough for them to live... Probably above 75 to properly hatch though... But if the eggs are there they might hatch at 70 as well... I should have clarified this lol... Hm... In any case - pray you have no eggs... If you see ONE cigar covered in little holes quickly take it out and check ALL your cigars... i hate freaking beetles!
  • MAJORdorMoMAJORdorMo Posts: 356
    To all the people who suggested basement: I don't think many people in SoCal have basements.
    Alternative?
  • Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    Yeah, California doesn't have many basements at all, you might want to try putting them in your fridge or a cooler or something jay. I know it's not all that great with cigars, but I think having them a bit cooler would be better than roasting.
  • HugemooseHugemoose Posts: 458
    MAJORdorMo:
    To all the people who suggested basement: I don't think many people in SoCal have basements. Alternative?
    Wow really?! hmm......

Invest in a wine fridge I suppose. That would probably be your best bet. Otherwise freeze them to kill any potential eggs. Even then mold could be an issue if it remains at a high temperature.
  • kent1146kent1146 Posts: 86
    MAJORdorMo:
    To all the people who suggested basement: I don't think many people in SoCal have basements. Alternative?

Basically, do whatever you can to keep your temps as close to 65-70 degrees as possible... ideally, put it in a room.environment with that temperature, like a basement. 

If you don't have that available, then stick it in a wine fridge and keep it as close to 65-70 as possible.  You may be able to pick one up off of Craigslist for as cheap as $30-$50 if you are lucky.  If that isn't an option, then stick it in a cooler and rotate ice packs in/out to keep it as close to 65-70 as possible.  If that isn't an option, then bag them up and stick them in the fridge until your AC situation is fixed.

Try your best to reach 65-70 degrees.  If that is not possible for whatever reason, it is better to store it in a cooler environment below 65, than it is to store it in a warmer environment above 70.
    Your other option is to send me the cigars and I will take care of them. I will mail you a cigar a day for smoking purposes and keep a cigar for me as a fee for the storage... ;)
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I've never had central air and I've done this

With either NO HUMIDIFIER or ALLOT OF BEADS I've taken ice packs (the gel kind) or those plastic ice cubes (I think I have "OCEAN LIFE" one) and I wrapped them in a towel and placed them in a dish in my humi... This brings the temps down quite a bit and if you try to wrap them enough they won't bring up your Rh too much and they will stay colder longer.

Not perfect, but I'd say too moist of a cigar is better than beetles!