Home Cigar 101

Bic vs Torch

So I have always been told that you should always use a torch butane lighter for your cigars, which I have always done. This has always seemed like such a no-brainier to me for the years that I have enjoyed the hobby. There has always been this idea that zippos and cheap bic lighters will affect the taste profile. I myself use a Xicar torch. However it recently occurred to me that bic lighters are fueled by butane. The same odorless, tasteless fuel in your torch. Have we been misinformed all these years? I know zippo fluid has an odor so I'm not including this, but why has this unjust stigma come about? Why have I always read and been told NEVER to use a bic? Thoughts?

Comments

• RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    I think it has to do with the purity.Could be way off, though.
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    I use a Bic.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The way I understand it, the bic is fine to use. The purity of the better fuels help the refillable lighters have less problems but the bic lighter fuel shouldn't be so inferior that they impart a bad taste. That being said, you should avoid drawing the flame of any lighter into your cigar. Keep the flame away from direct contact with the foot of the cigar and rather hold the foot in the heat of the flame but not in the flame itself, so the heat will do the work. This will avoid scorching the tobacco and will yield a better flavor.
  • CvilleECvilleE Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭
    Check out this thread. Close to the end of the second page, a topic about burn problems gives a few in dept thoughts about this very thing from some of the veterans of the forum...hope this helps

Lighter Discussion

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used a bic for years, still do when my torch is on the fritz, it's easier to scorch the wrapper with a bic, in my opinion, the precision of the torch means I only toast the foot, exactly where I want. The trick to the bic is the slow outside roll. I'd have to show you, if you don't already understand that reference.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    Amos Umwhat:
    I used a bic for years, still do when my torch is on the fritz, it's easier to scorch the wrapper with a bic, in my opinion, the precision of the torch means I only toast the foot, exactly where I want. The trick to the bic is the slow outside roll. I'd have to show you, if you don't already understand that reference.
    Where's your youtube video? I looked on youtube for your video of "the slow outside roll" but I found something completely different. But,.............. I think the technique in this other video I found is important too.
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    Bob is right on track with his info....lighters are a commodity that a lot of people like me....love to buy because of how they look, perform and cost,,,etc. It's like cutters...while there are a lot of different types of cutters they pretty much do the same thing except in ways we like...straight cuts, V cuts, scissor cut, and on and on. Lighters produce fire...it's what they do and torches produce heat around 2000 degrees Fahrenheit which when you consider it...that's pretty f'n hot and when you light a cigar with a torch regardless of whether it's a single, double and triple you are using a heat source that can cause your cigar to become an incendiary that will cause it to taste different esp. when you draw that kind of heat all the way up your cigar. It will scorch it and that acrid taste will translate into a less than perfect taste of your cigar and it will take at least 10 minutes of smoking to get your cigar back to where it should be...tastewise. Soft flames have a heat index of around 1200 degrees which means you can light your cigar w/o much worry of scorching the tobacco. A good rule of thumb is to never let the actual flame touch the end of your cigar and it's pretty easy to draw on the flame w/o letting the flame touch the end. It takes practice to do this or you can just take the cigar between your fingers and let the heat of the flame light your cigar...this takes a good minute or so but worth it IMO.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mainly use a bic unless it's a little windy. One if these days I'm going to get a nice soft flame that I can adjust the height of the flame with. That's my main complaint with a bic, it starts off with a nice flame then dwindles down to a little fart of a flame when your toasting the foot.
    Bics used to be adjustable. I think I still have one in a junk drawer somewhere.