Home Cigar 101

How did THIS cigar get THAT name?

Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
First off, who named Diesel cigars Diesels and why? I've googled but I can't find the answer. Does anybody know?

And if anybody would like to ask a similar question about another cigar, or if you know an interesting story about how a particular cigar got it's name please ask and or contribute.

Comments

• SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm.....I would assume the name just sounded good and manly. Whether AJ came up with the name or someone in advertising with Ccom/CI would be interesting to hear.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    Good question and nicknames for cigars are pretty much produced to sell cigars....a good name for any brand will cause a certain percentage of people to buy them. I know Shorty Rossi is a big part of this branding and his "star power" tends to push the brand very well.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Interesting to think about. Starpower has a lot to do with it i think now that you mention it. Diesel, Wicked, Ruination, Man O War, Undercrown. Then again there is Feral Pig, Dirty Rat, WTF and Raji's Untimely Demise. A lot of makers seem to stick with basics like Vintage so and so or Their name and maduro or habano. Than again who would want to smoke something named Aroma de Satan's Bunghole, Perdomo Nut$ack or... i dunno...Acid.....
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Jetmech_63:
    Interesting to think about. Starpower has a lot to do with it i think now that you mention it. Diesel, Wicked, Ruination, Man O War, Undercrown. Then again there is Feral Pig, Dirty Rat, WTF and Raji's Untimely Demise. A lot of makers seem to stick with basics like Vintage so and so or Their name and maduro or habano. Than again who would want to smoke something named Aroma de Satan's Bunghole, Perdomo Nut$ack or... i dunno...Acid.....
    If it was a limited Viaje or Tat, I'm sure some people would scour the Earth for Aroma de Satan's Bunghole....
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    I swear that I remember when they first came out there was something about Shaquille O'Neal having something to do with it. I know for sure that either Ccom or CI's description used to include the phrase "Shaq Diesel" in it. Maybe it was just a rip on Shaq's album and I got it mixed up somehow.
    alienmisprint:
    I swear that I remember when they first came out there was something about Shaquille O'Neal having something to do with it. I know for sure that either Ccom or CI's description used to include the phrase "Shaq Diesel" in it. Maybe it was just a rip on Shaq's album and I got it mixed up somehow.
    Man, I used to collect the catalogs but eventually my hoarding had to stop. Now I wish I still had them!!!
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    alienmisprint:
    That would be cool to find out the answer ....

Maybe Andy D or Tim B will stop by sometime and drop some knowledge.
    (HINT HINT)

I love hearing backstories on cigar names, especially when it's something cool & unique like the 3 Reynas.

Would love to have a thread dedicated to this topic.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jgibv:
    alienmisprint:
    That would be cool to find out the answer ....

Maybe Andy D or Tim B will stop by sometime and drop some knowledge.
    (HINT HINT)

I love hearing backstories on cigar names, especially when it's something cool & unique like the 3 Reynas.

Would love to have a thread dedicated to this topic.
    I'll edit my first post to include all cigars :)

• beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Ask Alex.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    alienmisprint:
    That's funny. I used to peruse the catalogs and every time I read that I would think "Shaq Diesel, what the hell does that mean???" LOL.
  • edelrionycedelrionyc Posts: 361 ✭✭✭
    You are right.... This cigar was originally called Shaq Diesel..... I guess after a while they decided to knock off the Shaq part.... I personally love this cigar. The original Diesel blend is amazing.... Google Shaq Diesel Cigars and you will see other sites that still classify them as such.... I didn't want to post someone elses website on here.
    edelrionyc:
    You are right.... This cigar was originally called Shaq Diesel..... I guess after a while they decided to knock off the Shaq part.... I personally love this cigar. The original Diesel blend is amazing.... Google Shaq Diesel Cigars and you will see other sites that still classify them as such.... I didn't want to post someone elses website on here.
    I wonder who dropped who. Could be that Shaq originally signed on but dropped. After all, AJ worked with Shorty Rossi on the Diesel Shorty.
  • Poker_SlobPoker_Slob Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AJ doesn't speak english...ask the guys at CI. They own that and many other brands. That might help your quest.