Home Cigar 101

New show: Tobacco 202, looking for suggestions or show ideas

catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
Hey guys, I am starting a new informational show called The 202 show. Basically, the guys wanted me to start my own show for some time now, and I decided on doing a casual educational show that addresses the vast knowledge out there with folks in the industry. The types of things I am looking to address are the same things we see here all the time. Questions about the hobby, production, tobacco, etc... I will be including pipe tobacco as well as cigars. So if there is something you'd like to know more about, post it here. I am planning on making it interactive as well, so we can connect consumers to industry folks. It will be Bi-weekly and I will change this thread into a permanent link. So...any suggestions? Example: first show is about lancero's, how to smoke, why they are more expensive, flavor differences, etc... Next show is about tasting.

If there is someone in the industry you'd like to know about how they do something, ask here. I will be compiling topic ideas and guests for future shows. Thanks for all the support guys.

Comments

• Sounds interesting. Wishing you success.
  • perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    Being a history nerd I'd love to know more about the evolution of American tobacco in the cigar world.
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Make sure in tasting you go over retro.Also, maybe one about the difference in sizes IE smoke time, profile changes, filler/binder/wrapper ratio yada yada.
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anything and everything about plume. ........ why is is there plume on my sammich bread? :)
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    perkinke:
    Being a history nerd I'd love to know more about the evolution of American tobacco in the cigar world.
    this would b really interesting honestly, ad may take some digging. I bet I'll get some good info from the pipe world on it too.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    perkinke:
    this would b really interesting honestly, ad may take some digging. I bet I'll get some good info from the pipe world on it too.
    On the historical thought, the market for tobacco fueled a lot of ships to the new world, played a considerable role in funding the development of trade, once apon a time. I'm thinking that some of the ports in Scotland were particularly relevant. Now I'm trying to remember where I read that. If I can dig up the references, I'll let you know.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • SasquatchSasquatch Posts: 307 ✭✭✭
    Another history nerd here. I would be interested more in the history of the tobacco families & brands than anything else. You get bombarded with everybody's new blends & marketing, so it would be a refreshing change of pace. My 2 cents.
  • roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    Sasquatch:
    Another history nerd here. I would be interested more in the history of the tobacco families & brands than anything else. You get bombarded with everybody's new blends & marketing, so it would be a refreshing change of pace. My 2 cents.
    +1,
    One God, One Truth
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    Rain:
    Make sure in tasting you go over retro.Also, maybe one about the difference in sizes IE smoke time, profile changes, filler/binder/wrapper ratio yada yada.
    i second the retro....once i figured out how to do that it has really enhanced my smoking
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    So, going from the name, I'm guessing you're planning a sort of 'beyond the basics' show? I like the idea. I think a show picking apart different growing countries/regions and their typical flavors/influences would be really interesting.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
    Ken Light:
    So, going from the name, I'm guessing you're planning a sort of 'beyond the basics' show? I like the idea. I think a show picking apart different growing countries/regions and their typical flavors/influences would be really interesting.
    This is on the menu bro for sure. I am really diggin the historical perspective you guys are looking for. This may take some digging, and will be tough to get the old school cats on, but I will do my best. I know some folks in the industry have expressed interest in helping me. Really the main point is educate the consumers. I do want to cover basics, but I also want to cover intermediate, and any topic that comes up really.
  • Poker_SlobPoker_Slob Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ken is correct. I find this to be the most interesting aspect of our hobby. Also, I would be interested in a step by step account of what Puffy(for example) is doing to create his own brand. Thanks catfish for all you do on this forum!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    I want to know how to get the most of my cigar, whether pairing food, beer, or liquor. That could easily be a weekly topic like a pairing post. Also, what about pre-light activities. Kuzi mentioned citrus is usually good to cleanse. The history aspect seems very interesting as well.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    If you were interviewing or talking with some blender in the industry it might be fun to see what their ideal blend would be, if all tobacco were available to them including Cuban leaf, what they anticipate the cigar would taste like, etc. They probably get asked this a lot, though, but it's not common knowledge for the rest of us.

Good luck with the new program Dustin, I'm looking forward to it!
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    If talking to blenders and owners I'd like too know what cigars they favor the most... ie I know rockys favorite stick is the anejo shark
    Money can't buy taste
    Lee.mcglynn:
    If talking to blenders and owners I'd like too know what cigars they favor the most... ie I know rockys favorite stick is the anejo shark
    That's a hard one to get man. Most will not divulge that info, some will, just depends on the guy really.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know if this question would fit into your format ideas for your show but I've got a question that I can't seem to google an answer for. Who started the the coolidor craze? Who did it first? How did it spread? Maybe you can ask tobacconists and distributors when they first heard about it. If I had to speculate I'd say some sales rep probably came up with the idea to keep his wares cool while in the car. I started another thread on this subject last night (WTK Coolidor History) but I thought I'd ask you too.
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    I don't know if this question would fit into your format ideas for your show but I've got a question that I can't seem to google an answer for. Who started the the coolidor craze? Who did it first? How did it spread? Maybe you can ask tobacconists and distributors when they first heard about it. If I had to speculate I'd say some sales rep probably came up with the idea to keep his wares cool while in the car. I started another thread on this subject last night (WTK Coolidor History) but I thought I'd ask you too.
    For that matter, humidors would be fascinating to examine in their own right. Oh, and you could talk about kitty litter.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah! What about kitty litter? Can you do at least a short segment on getting to the true answers on kitty litter vs beads disputes. I know beads are supposed to be treated (cured?) in a way that attempts to achieve certain RH levels but other than that, are there any real differences?

Plus, I've heard it argued that kitty litter is not a “two way” medium and I've heard it argued that it IS a two way medium. (I've got one cooler with nothing but kitty litter and I haven't spritzed it in months. I'm opening it at least two times a week if not more. My guess is that it actually is a two way medium. But it's just a guess. I'd like to know for sure.)
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    Yeah! What about kitty litter? Can you do at least a short segment on getting to the true answers on kitty litter vs beads disputes. I know beads are supposed to be treated (cured?) in a way that attempts to achieve certain RH levels but other than that, are there any real differences?

Plus, I've heard it argued that kitty litter is not a “two way” medium and I've heard it argued that it IS a two way medium. (I've got one cooler with nothing but kitty litter and I haven't spritzed it in months. I'm opening it at least two times a week if not more. My guess is that it actually is a two way medium. But it's just a guess. I'd like to know for sure.)
    Put some in a box or bag or something with water. Come back later. See if it absorbed any. If you want to be really good about it put some identical KL in a box without water and compare the two. Science!!! lol
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ken Light:
    Bob Luken:

Put some in a box or bag or something with water. Come back later. See if it absorbed any. If you want to be really good about it put some identical KL in a box without water and compare the two. Science!!! lol
    ^^^^
    @Ken
    YEAH SCIENCE!!!!

And @Bob ....
    I bumped this thread http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/1/705665/ShowThread.aspx for you, give it a read there's mucho grande info there. Be sure to read the posts on page 1 too.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you just interview cigar models? Do they like cigars? Or try and get Janny Garcia on the show..hmmm
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Bigshizza:
    Can you just interview cigar models? Do they like cigars? Or try and get Janny Garcia on the show..hmmm
    I would agree with this, but if my wife found out I had...
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    It'd be nice to maybe cover travel, or more specifically cigar related travel. Arranging factory tours DIY style. Places that you could take the family with too. Cigar friendly cities both inside and outside of the US.

Also where will be able to find the show?