Home Cigar 101

Bands with too much glue.........

Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
How do you remove a stubborn band . If it's my first time to try one I like to save the band, but what's a good way to remove i when it's impossiblly glued and it's obviously gonna tear? Just smoked a 'core" and I destroyed the band because there was too much glue. :( What do I do next time? I've heard some of you guys mention using a razor blade. Any advice?

Comments

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Smoke it down close
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    If you want to save it, then I would recommend using an x-acto knife. You can be precise enough with it to not damage the wrapper leaf. I don't like waiting until the cigar burns down, however. Dealing with a longer stick is easier and safer when removing the band.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Smoke it for a little bit though, it loosens the glue somewhat. The knife is the way to go, just be careful not to cut the wrapper leaf.

• macs-smokesmacs-smokes Posts: 587
    Touch of soft flame.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't be a band geek. Rip it off.

I love this box of Nestor Reserve 2000 I grabbed off the knock down shelf. Sharp edged rectangular box pressed robustos with delicate wrappers and tight tight glue. I defy you to remove a band intact. Burnt one just last night. Rip 'em bands, I say.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    macs-smokes:
    Touch of soft flame.
    Ha! Funny you should mention that. I tried that trick on the "Core" but before I did I had first tried to peel the band to see if it would come off. So,......The leading edge of the band was raised a little bit,..............(Can you guess what happened yet?)........ I lit the band on fire. Told ya' I destroyed it. LOL
  • ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    Its kinda hard to do with a box pressed, but if you roll the band in your fingers it helps to seperate the two overlaping sections. I move to the razor blade after that.
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    ddubridge:
    Its kinda hard to do with a box pressed, but if you roll the band in your fingers it helps to seperate the two overlaping sections. I move to the razor blade after that.
    this is what i do....smoke it right up to it and roll it and normally it will come, but i agree there are some that won't come off like the Core. I think it has to do with paper construction of the band also.....the core band is on what seems to be basic paper rather than a thicker, more glossy paper.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    brianetz1:
    ddubridge:
    this is what i do....smoke it right up to it and roll it and normally it will come, but i agree there are some that won't come off like the Core. I think it has to do with paper construction of the band also.....the core band is on what seems to be basic paper rather than a thicker, more glossy paper.
    That's right. The Core band seemed like paper bag paper. Probably soaks up the glue and holds it tight.
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, this is one band I didn't really want to save, it was so ugly.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i try to save as many as i can,for obviuos reasons.most of the time just smoking them down to the band works.if its tricky i hold it up against a hot cup of coffee for awhile.
    no matter where you go, there you are.

• PAtoNHPAtoNH Posts: 429
    ya know… so many cigars have gigantic bands, foot wrappers etc. that it really bugs me when they glue them to the cigar… it just seems really lazy for a product that is advertised as "premium". Whenever I tear a wrapper because the band has been glued to the cigar a little part me dies…. :(