Home Cigar 101

WTK Coolidor History

Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
When was the first time somebody decided a cooler would make a good humidor? I've searched breifly on the interweb for historical info but nothing on the actual origins of this method ever pops up. I'm curious how long it's been going on and anything else on how it got started.

Comments

• CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    I've seen posts at least 6 years ago on this subject so not sure when the initial subject actually became fact. It just stands to reason that whoever did the first one was an experiment based on fact as far as trying to keep a stable cigar environment and coolers are something that matches the criteria. Questions manifested as far as what media to use to keep RH stable because 1/2 the battle is keeping a stable temperature so having that part taken care of relative humidity is the other issue. Beads work but tend to be expensive esp. with the size of a cooler. The next best media is KL because it's a one way type and inexpensive to use. I'm sure that somebody would like to come forward and say they are the ones who started it all....."Success has many fathers...while failure is an orphan."
  • SasquatchSasquatch Posts: 307 ✭✭✭
    The earth cooled & then the dinosaurs started disappearing....... I would say at least 15-20 years ago when I first heard rumors of the fabled "coolerdor." This is by no ways a definitive answer, but guessing when Walmart started selling low priced coolers, somebody had an idea... My 2 cents.
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sasquatch:
    The earth cooled & then the dinosaurs started disappearing....... I would say at least 15-20 years ago when I first heard rumors of the fabled "coolerdor." This is by no ways a definitive answer, but guessing when Walmart started selling low priced coolers, somebody had an idea... My 2 cents.
    hahahaha

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *