Home Cigar 101

2nds

RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
How much do you guys "trust" seconds?Let me explain. 2nds are pretty much billed as being a premium cigar that had some kind of visual defect, or something minor like not being the right size. I'n my experience, though, 2nds have more of a variance from smoke to smoke. If I have 10 Padrons, they'll probably all be close to the same flavor. If I have 10 Padron seconds....I feel like I can get anything from dog crap to the holy grail. Am I crazy?

Comments

• curtpickcurtpick Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭
    Ive smoked a few and all were really good.
    Family, Friends, Golf, Cigars, Fine Whiskey, Good beer.... is there anything else ?  Follow on instagram @crguy1961
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    curtpick:
    You've had better luck then me!
  • curtpickcurtpick Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭
    Rain:
    curtpick:
    You've had better luck then me!
    cant remember but think my last one was an aj fernendez. Was included in a bomb recently. Vinny sent it to me . Taste,burn, was excellent. Maybe vinny can chime in on who made the stick.
    Family, Friends, Golf, Cigars, Fine Whiskey, Good beer.... is there anything else ?  Follow on instagram @crguy1961
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every rocky P second ive had has been great. I was eyeing the AB's but I have no clue which blends they mightb be... I dont really feel like gambling
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    Rain:
    How much do you guys "trust" seconds?Let me explain. 2nds are pretty much billed as being a premium cigar that had some kind of visual defect, or something minor like not being the right size. I'n my experience, though, 2nds have more of a variance from smoke to smoke. If I have 10 Padrons, they'll probably all be close to the same flavor. If I have 10 Padron seconds....I feel like I can get anything from dog crap to the holy grail. Am I crazy?
    If I had 10 Padron seconds I'd definitely take that risk.
  • christian1971christian1971 Posts: 467 ✭✭✭
    I didnt realize I bought seconds when I got a mazo deal on RP Vint 1992. When I got them they were a very light brown, and lengths varied slightly. They tasted fine, but I still prefer not to get seconds.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love the idea that you could get a premium cigar at a bargain because it was "just too ugly" for them to put their band on. I hope that they are what they say they are. But most of them I see lately,......they won't even tell us which blend they are. I got some that were described as seconds of a specific blend that I knew I enjoyed. I've had a few lately (now that they've got 8 months or more on them) and one of them was amazing. The other two were just pretty good. I don't know if this goes along with your theory of them being different from stick to stick or if it's just me. Seems like I can't get any same cigar to provide consistent experience for me lately, so it's probably just me.
  • pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    I burned through a mazo of 20 AJ overruns and all of them were good. Granted they were overruns and not 2nds, which I believe means they had extra tobacco laying around that was used to roll cigars that are "premium" but not part of their normal production blends. Your mileage may vary with 2nds. 20 cigars for 30 to 50 bucks is pretty tough to beat.
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    Not every 'second' can be just like a first run product. There are some brands where the seconds are just as good...it really depends on the manufacturer as to what they consider a "second"...not all of them use the same kind of QC in these terms.
  • HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    Every rocky P second ive had has been great. I was eyeing the AB's but I have no clue which blends they mightb be... I dont really feel like gambling
    Same here - was actually about to post the same thing. I have had RP 1990 and I think Fusion (yeah, it's been a while lol) that were every bit as good as the regulars. But like I said, that was a long time ago.

Also was curious about the AB seconds but I at least want an idea of what I'm getting, even if it's just wrapper type, but it appears that you wouldn't know if you're getting a maduro, habano whatever until they arrive.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    When I first got into the hobby (late 2008/early 2009), I burned through 7-8 bundles of Decade seconds, 4-5 bundles of Perdomo ESV seconds, and a few other brands of seconds here and there. I never had a problem with any of them, great value. On the vast majority of them, I couldn't even spot what made them seconds. There were a few here and there that had obvious spots on the wrappers, but I never ran into any construction or flavor issues with any of them.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recently tried the Gordo seconds don't know if they were actually NUBs or not but they at very good.
  • PAtoNHPAtoNH Posts: 429
    +1 on RP seconds. I've only smoked one bundle but all were very nice and I plan to get more in the future.
  • Perdomo ESV had seconds that were really good. wish they still had them.