Home Cigar 101

which is better?

Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
To have a few coolers that you can manage to carry all by yourself, or one or two monster coolers that hold everything but take two to tote? Which is better? (Uh, tote means carry. And don't mention coolers with wheels. For the purposes of this opinion pol they are not to be considered.)

Comments

• jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    Get big cooler you can't lift (yet). Fill with cigars. Turn into lifting routine. Look like this.

• kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    If I recall correctly, You mentioned you have upwards of 3K cigars. I would definitely break those down into smaller units, otherwise you will always have to do major unpacking in order to get to cigars you may desire that are resting in the bottom.
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Do you find that you move your coolers often/ever? Do you have a good system of cigar storage inside the cooler that will be manageable if you choose to go with a really large cooler?
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    this just may be opinion, but wouldnt it be better to have your cigars packed in Batches rather then one large unit? Just in case of a mold or bettle break out?

A.j.

• beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    start smoking.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kaspera79:
    If I recall correctly, You mentioned you have upwards of 3K cigars. I would definitely break those down into smaller units, otherwise you will always have to do major unpacking in order to get to cigars you may desire that are resting in the bottom.
    3K cigars!? Did I say I had three thousand sticks? Maybe you're thinking of somebody else. (Even if I had that many it doesn't sound like something I'd admit to. LOL)
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    dr_frankenstein56:
    this just may be opinion, but wouldnt it be better to have your cigars packed in Batches rather then one large unit? Just in case of a mold or bettle break out?

A.j.

I think you're balancing the advantages of what you've mentioned, along with the portability factor against the disadvantages of smaller environments being more difficult to stabilize. I started using stackable food saver containers when I got bombed out of my "25-count" (they lied. more like 15, but it was a gift) humi. With beads and boveda, they have remained pretty stable, and I have them in a cabinet in the den so they don't stand out as ugly. The cabinet provides some protection against temperature fluctuations, and temp worries me more than bugs, mold, or even humidity at this point. Smaller is also a great way to organize the collection.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
    Martel:
    dr_frankenstein56:

A.j.

I think you're balancing the advantages of what you've mentioned, along with the portability factor against the disadvantages of smaller environments being more difficult to stabilize. I started using stackable food saver containers when I got bombed out of my "25-count" (they lied. more like 15, but it was a gift) humi. With beads and boveda, they have remained pretty stable, and I have them in a cabinet in the den so they don't stand out as ugly. The cabinet provides some protection against temperature fluctuations, and temp worries me more than bugs, mold, or even humidity at this point. Smaller is also a great way to organize the collection.

Great Idea on the stackers! and good points, I do like something clear ....either a large food service container or a small jar so that i can see whats in there and im not leaving the lid open for 20 minutes while I try to decide what I want.

Im probably just being paranoid.

A.j.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dr_frankenstein56:
    Martel:
    dr_frankenstein56:

A.j.

Great Idea on the stackers! and good points, I do like something clear ....either a large food service container or a small jar so that i can see whats in there and im not leaving the lid open for 20 minutes while I try to decide what I want.

A.j.
    Vigilance regarding tobacco beetles is NOT paranoia ;)
    Bob Luken:
    dr_frankenstein56:
    Martel:
    dr_frankenstein56:

A.j.

A.j.

I havent had a battle with beetles yet... but im terrified about them! My biggest fear is mold... I cant leave a slice of bread on the counter without it sprouting mold in less then a day... so I take to my humi like a doctor before i stick my hands in there. I think 90% of humi issues (outside of improper humi care) are caused by our hands poking around in there and our breathing and sniffing all over everything. thus my fear as to my first trade packing weather to bag or not, humi or not, prepair for parachute delivery, etc etc etc.

to me these cigars are that one investment I truly just flat out have fun with and if they went bad id kick my own ass!

Aj
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    dr_frankenstein56:
    Bob Luken:
    dr_frankenstein56:
    Martel:
    dr_frankenstein56:

A.j.

A.j.

I havent had a battle with beetles yet... but im terrified about them! My biggest fear is mold... I cant leave a slice of bread on the counter without it sprouting mold in less then a day... so I take to my humi like a doctor before i stick my hands in there. I think 90% of humi issues (outside of improper humi care) are caused by our hands poking around in there and our breathing and sniffing all over everything. thus my fear as to my first trade packing weather to bag or not, humi or not, prepair for parachute delivery, etc etc etc.

to me these cigars are that one investment I truly just flat out have fun with and if they went bad id kick my own ass!

Aj

Yeah, I haven't had any beetle problems but I'm surprised I didn't since I had some A/C troubles in both the old and new places this year. Right before and right after I moved, in the middle of the summer, in Memphis. Things got a little hot, and I was keeping crazy watch over the sticks. I only worry more about temp because I seem to have gotten humidity under control; it fluctuates a little as temperature changes is all. I did have to do a moisture recharge on the beads when it got cold here, but it bounced right back. I just can't keep temperature very stable in my house. I think I'm fine for the winter, but we keep it warmer in the summer. I figure the temperature is what will most affect the presence of mold and hatching beetles at this point, so I concern myself with it.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I personally like the average 48qt...you can stack them and do what ever and sometimes running different humidities for some cigars...well it makes it easier.
    Money can't buy taste
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    If you can't carry it yourself.............it's an issue in my opinion.

Now if by "few" you mean 3 or 5, versus 2 big ones.......I'd rather have 4 or 5 smaller ones.....in addition to being able to carry them.....there are more "storage options"

• big chunksbig chunks Posts: 1,607
    I just bought an igloo 120quart cooler to replace 3 smaller coolers, I like it a lot better
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    Coolers....a great thing about em is they come in all sizes but they aren't all the same. Some seal much better than others and some are "carry" types while others have wheels...I buy the one with wheels because it's much easier to move from Point A to Point B.....an oh...I admit to having around 5000 cigars but it started in 1963.
  • jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    Cigary:
    Coolers....a great thing about em is they come in all sizes but they aren't all the same. Some seal much better than others and some are "carry" types while others have wheels...I buy the one with wheels because it's much easier to move from Point A to Point B.....an oh...I admit to having around 5000 cigars but it started in 1963.
    five thousand?! no wonder you said don't send you any cigars hahah. very cool Gary.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    jliu:
    Cigary:
    five thousand?! no wonder you said don't send you any cigars hahah. very cool Gary.
    did he tie you??
    Money can't buy taste
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Cigary:
    , Oh it was you.. I accused another member of having an excessive collection recently, but it was you.
  • allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    Geez.. we need a confession thread at this rate. Talk about hoarding!
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    allsmokedup:
    Geez.. we need a confession thread at this rate. Talk about hoarding!

I will get us started with an introduction template ;)

"Hello Cigars Anonymous members, my name is (insert your name here) and I have a problem. I hoard cigars and have enough to kill myself with a nicotine overdose. Thank you for your time and for letting me come to C.A. today."
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
    Ha ha ha...yes, it is I and remember that this collection started before most of you were born. Some of these cigars have been aged for 10 years and most of that collection is made up of CC's.
    I've actually sent out around 1,000 just to get this collection somewhat under control as others have bombed the living shyte out of me and continue to do so because they want me to try their new line of cigars...hard to say no to ones that have never been smoked before and have been resting for years. I trade back and forth with others through the years and some get really carried away because while I was just trying to trim stock they felt they needed to up and ante and would double down and send me twice the amount I sent them....these cigar people are an ornery lot.
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cigary:
    I've actually sent out around 1,000 just to get this collection somewhat under control as others have bombed the living shyte out of me and continue to do so because they want me to try their new line of cigars...hard to say no to ones that have never been smoked before and have been resting for years. I trade back and forth with others through the years and some get really carried away because while I was just trying to trim stock they felt they needed to up and ante and would double down and send me twice the amount I sent them....these cigar people are an ornery lot.
    Lmao Gary! Sounds like the pot calling the kettle black to me brother ;) Heck of a collection, congrats and would love to see a few pics of it someday if you were ever so inclined ;)
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cigary:
    Ha ha ha...yes, it is I and remember that this collection started before most of you were born. Some of these cigars have been aged for 10 years and most of that collection is made up of CC's.
    If it were before I was born, it would contain legal cuban cigars. ; )
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
    It would look exactly like you'd see on Hoarders as it takes up my entire study....12X12 where I keep them in coolers, tupperadors and humidors and bookcases. My wife thinks I'm a hoarder....BFD!!! lol
    0patience:
    Cigary:
    If it were before I was born, it would contain legal cuban cigars. ; )
    Yes, I have about 10 that are around 52 years old given to me by...a cuban friend of the family and no....I won't smoke them except for maybe the last 8 and leave 2 to somebody.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've tried coolers, tupperware and a dozen or so humis.

Momma has limited me to 4 humis, one larger humi she keeps special cigars from me (long story) and my tower.
    She says if it won't fit in them, then I best be making room for stuff.
    As some know, this is my couple hundred dollar score.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • I say the bigger the better. Easier to stabilize RH and keep it there. It's a pain to check and attempt to keep 2 or 3 smaller ones at a stable RH