Home Ratings & Reviews

Joya De Nicaragua

GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
I had one of these back in 2002 when my girlfriend brought one back for me when she was down there building houses and what not. It was the strongest cigar I had ever tried at that time and blew me away. I finally bought a couple more of them and was completly unimpressed. The draw was super tight and it had trouble staying lit. I know there are a lot of people on the forum who love this stick and I was wondering if this is normal or if I just got a really tight one. I would love to get a few of those 2002 sticks.

Comments

• alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    I think it depends on what size you get. IMO the torpedo and robusto are both excellent sticks, but the draw on the Churchill and corona are super tight and really kill the whole cigar. The cigar you are talking about from 2002, did it have a plain brown band, similar to the one now but a little more understated? If so, that may be what I found at a B&M in Baton Rouge. The cellos were very yellowed and the guy working said they had at least 3-4 years of age on them. I bought one and smoked it there then proceeded to buy all the rest of his stock (which was only 8).
  • GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    I remember the band having the leaves on it but didn't quite look like the ones that are out now. Would you be willing to trade for one of them? I would offer to trade for more but I bet you want to keep them for yourself to enjoy. Thanks for the info anyway.
    I could maybe part with one, there anything else you want? Seems like kind of a waste to set up a trade for one cigar, lol.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Your girlfriend builds houses and buys you cigars? That's pretty sexy.
  • kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    my cousin who lives in canada ....... came across some joya de nicaragua's that dont look like any labels i have seen ....... i realy like them and have been swapping sticks with him whenever we see eachother ....... its so nice to be in buffalo right at the border only a stonethrow from canada .... the label is very basic beige/goldish band with lil white squares and a tobacco leaf in the middle and the logo around the leaf ...... i really want to find these so i can get a box.
    Check your PM King.
  • kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info alien ...... much appreciated ..... time to buy a box
  • GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    Hey Alien, thanks for the trade offer but I am away from my sticks for a couple of months so I need to hold off on a trade till I get back. I will PM you later.
    No problem man, and check your PM's. I believe what I have is the Classico, just that they have a few years of age on them.
  • ZAPZAP Posts: 186 ✭✭
    Just bought one of the torpedos from a local shop...noticed it was kind of a mushy feel to it as I pressed it a little....is that common with these?  Haven't smoked it yet..
    Not common at all, at least not with the Antanos or Classicos. All that I have had have been very solid.