Home Ratings & Reviews

Rosalones by JDN

0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
Let me preface this by stating that I am normally not a big Joya de Nicaragua fan. I find their cigars good, but not something I generally reach for.

But this Rosalones is a very well made, mild to medium body, even though some state medium body I'd lean more toward the lighter side of medium.
The wrapper is a dark brown criollo. Very nice looking cigar.
It has a bit of pepper/spice to it, but it is not overpowering and has an almost cameroon taste to it, which I think is why I found this cigar to be very much to my liking.

This is one of those cigars that caught me off guard. I wasn't prepared to like this cigar, but I sure do. I wouldn't consider it as sweet as a cameroon, but it has a lot of the same notes of a cameroon.

It is definitely one that I will look for getting more of.
If you've tried it, I'd sure like to know what you thought of it.

Remember, I'm still trying to understand how to "review" the cigars, so be kind when you make judgement of this short review.
In Fumo Pax
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
Atmospheric pressure and crap.

Comments

• MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    0patience:
    Let me preface this by stating that I am normally not a big Joya de Nicaragua fan. I find their cigars good, but not something I generally reach for.

But this Rosalones is a very well made, mild to medium body, even though some state medium body I'd lean more toward the lighter side of medium.
    The wrapper is a dark brown criollo. Very nice looking cigar.
    It has a bit of pepper/spice to it, but it is not overpowering and has an almost cameroon taste to it, which I think is why I found this cigar to be very much to my liking.

This is one of those cigars that caught me off guard. I wasn't prepared to like this cigar, but I sure do. I wouldn't consider it as sweet as a cameroon, but it has a lot of the same notes of a cameroon.

It is definitely one that I will look for getting more of.
    If you've tried it, I'd sure like to know what you thought of it.

Remember, I'm still trying to understand how to "review" the cigars, so be kind when you make judgement of this short review.

Join the club in not knowing how. I always say my reviews are more for me than for someone else, but I'm happy to share if someone finds them entertaining or useful.

I think I might have to try one of these based on your review. It seems like cameroon is seeing an upswing in popularity right now. I see it mentioned a LOT on the interwebs. I've enjoyed some but not so much others, but I feel the same way about criollo. I don't think "Cameroon" is monolithic anymore than I think any other wrapper moniker could be. It's a generalization. I tend to like Criollo, so I'm interested in this one. I'm intrigued by the JdN in part because I've enjoyed other JdN, especially the Celebracion, but would like a hint of the spice removed and a touch more sweetness. If the Rosalones does this and keeps the complexity, I'd really like it.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • DynaguyDynaguy Posts: 51
    I tried these on a whim as well and was very pleasantly surprised. I prefer fuller bodied cigars, but have found the Joya's to be sort of rough. The Rosalones have the same profile, but dialed back. They will be part of my regular rotation from now on. By the way, construction on these is top notch.
  • big chunksbig chunks Posts: 1,607
    I really enjoy these with coffee, I'm thinking with a little bit of rest they will be hard to beat especially for the price
  • allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    If you look at the marketing blurb for Rosalones, these were supposedly made for the European market. It makes sense that it's less in-your-face like the other JdNs as I don't think there's a huge demand there for big, powerful cigars unlike the American market. They've been on my must try list ever since I saw that they were released.
  • ImgemboImgembo Posts: 661 ✭✭
    Like the review. I have almost pulled the trigger on these a few times. I have stopped my self because i find that i do not enjoy fuller smokes ( what JDN ioes welll) as much any more. This might be right up my ally
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    im gunna have to get one or two. i like everything JdN has done so far, with the CyB being the weak link of the line (but still a damn fine cigar). i have a feeling ill like this one too.