Home Ratings & Reviews

OpusX

kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
just a heads up, the 2009 release of OpusX is smoking very well now. if you have a few you may want to light one up now.

Comments

• MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    I wish.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now why didn't I think of that? Oh, I know....:(
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    seriously guys? nobody has one?

buy them specifically to age. i never smoke them younger than a year. usually closer to 3.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    seriously guys? nobody has one?

buy them specifically to age. i never smoke them younger than a year. usually closer to 3.
    I have a couple, perhaps I should burn one this weekend.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I have some with 2 - 3 years and maybe some with more. I do have a forbidden x from 2004 left somewhere.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I only know when they came into my possession, not when they were made. I don't buy them by the box so all the Opus I have are a bit of a mystery for true age. They always smoke well in my opinion, great cigar.
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The oldest Ive had was from 2010 and I smoked it early this summer. Nowadays Opus X only last but a few months in my humi.
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    rwheelwright:
    I have some with 2 - 3 years and maybe some with more. I do have a forbidden x from 2004 left somewhere.
    Dirty dog.
    dennisking:
    rwheelwright:
    Dirty dog.
    ;-)

There was a huge Fuente event at Holts today. Carlos, Carlito, Cynthia and Liana were there. I'm pretty upset I couldn't go! Hopefully next year. It is a good thing I couldn't go because the amount of money I probably would have spent would have made me cancel the wedding!
  • perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    rwheelwright:
    dennisking:
    rwheelwright:
    Dirty dog.
    ;-)

There was a huge Fuente event at Holts today. Carlos, Carlito, Cynthia and Liana were there. I'm pretty upset I couldn't go! Hopefully next year. It is a good thing I couldn't go because the amount of money I probably would have spent would have made me cancel the wedding!
    Hey, a courthouse wedding only costs $25 around here, and really, isn't it the FACT of getting that really matters? ;)
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    I actually have a bunch of different sizes of 09s and haven't had one in a while. I was actually a bit disappointed with the 09 vintage when they first hit shelves. I found 08 to be much more flavorful and consistent throughout various sizes.

Thanks for the heads up Kuzi!
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Just don't think they are worth the price for the aging. I had a bunch, aged and new, and really did not see the value for the price, even at retail. An aged habanos regular production 5-7 years will far surpass an aged Opus of the same time frame IMO in regard to flavor, complexity, and finish. Frankly, I'd rather age boxes of habanos, and I sold my entire Opus collection to do just that.
    And that's the idea behind opinions. I couldn't handle nor taste the nuances of Opus X years ago. As my experience grew and tastes changed I can now appreciate them. However they aren't my favorite smoke. I still prefer Opus Maduro and Anejo #55s.
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    Just don't think they are worth the price for the aging. I had a bunch, aged and new, and really did not see the value for the price, even at retail. An aged habanos regular production 5-7 years will far surpass an aged Opus of the same time frame IMO in regard to flavor, complexity, and finish. Frankly, I'd rather age boxes of habanos, and I sold my entire Opus collection to do just that.
    and where was I when you sold them???
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    I agree with Catfish on this one. I picked up a handful in '09. Smoked one relatively fresh (probably 2-3 months on it) and was thoroughly unimpressed. Then I smoked one about a year later, still unimpressed. I smoked one more earlier this year, and although it was better, it still wasn't worth it to me. I ended up selling all the rest of the ones I had off to Marty back in like April/May timeframe.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    iduno...
    i like em with age. i guess to each his or her own.

i have been moving away from them though. i seem to be moving to the medium part of the spectrum as of late.
  • Gino USMCGino USMC Posts: 127
    Hhmmmm, very interesting. I will look into one or two of these. I do like me some Opus X.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I plan on smoking some in december. I have two weeks free for xmas and new years. I plan on smoking 2005 to 2012 opus. might even smoke one of my bbmf maduros as well. I really haven't smoked much lately but I think trying several years of opus x in as many days would be nice. never compared them before.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I read this thread with tears...Had 4 boxes that disappeared in a really big wind in April 2006. But someday....someday....sigh.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae:
    I read this thread with tears...Had 4 boxes that disappeared in a really big wind in April 2006. But someday....someday....sigh.
    yikes, that hurt!
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae:
    Was the really big wind a tornado? Otherwise, I'm really confused. Lol
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • big chunksbig chunks Posts: 1,607
    What's better aged or fresh opus x, I've only smoked one which I enjoyed, also what's better aged anejo or fresh
  • allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    As far as Anejos are concerned, they need at least a year nap. I've only had OpusXs with a year+ rest as well and they're fantastic, never had the opportunity to try a fresh one yet.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SleevePlz:
    jd50ae:

There was a whole slew of F2 tornadoes that hit my area April 2006 and the one F3 in the bunch landed directly on our home and property, I actually levitated as the roof lifted. Don't want to do it again.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    big chunks:
    What's better aged or fresh opus x, I've only smoked one which I enjoyed, also what's better aged anejo or fresh
    opus with age and anejos IMO are ready to go but do get better with age....I'm always more excited about the anejo releases for this reason
    Money can't buy taste
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Opus are best with 2 - 3 years on them, I haven't been able to keep an Anejo in my box longer than 5 months. Reserva 46 are my downfall, ROTT or aged.
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae:
    SleevePlz:
    jd50ae:

There was a whole slew of F2 tornadoes that hit my area April 2006 and the one F3 in the bunch landed directly on our home and property, I actually levitated as the roof lifted. Don't want to do it again.
    Glad you are a-ok and still with us JD, sorry about the Opus' loss though that SUCKS!!!! Heck of a story to be sure though!!
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • ndhaon91ndhaon91 Posts: 441
    I smoked one of this years Destino al Siglo Super Belis and was thoroughly impressed. Enough that I picked up a box at a pretty good rate. These should age really, really well.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I haven't had the destinos yet, but from what i hear they smoke almost like an aged opus. I wonder how they taste in 5 years?
  • lcpleellcpleel Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    '99s are smoking well too. if that helps anyone.