Home Cigar 101
Options

How many waters between PGs?

webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
So, given that propylene glycol evaporates more slowly than water, how many times should you water your humidifier block between adding PG solution? One PG to five H2O? One to ten? One to what?

No gratuitous bead recommendations required.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Comments

• Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm, when I used to have these type of humidifiers I'd use PG solution every time.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    It also depends on the blend...some are 50/50 and some might only be 5-10%
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    As often as it takes to maintain your desired humidity level.
  • Options
    blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    Somebody send this guy some beads, litter, or even gels. Given the past number of high humidity related issues with smokes, why am I not surprised to realize webby is still using a foam humidifier. Walmart for litter pearls stat! If you're adamant on insisting on foam, well I would say as soon as your humidity starts to fluctuate but it shouldn't be very often, couple a year maybe.
  • Options
    start with 50% ppg/50% water. You will note that this is slightly oily. after you add water - 4 or 5 times, or you notice that if you touch the surface lightly and get no oily feel - then add 50%PPG/50% water. If you insist on using foam, you may or may not know that you can purchase ppg in the US at a compounding pharmacy, usually a good bit cheaper than "cigar solution." Add distilled water 1/1 ratio and you have "cigar solution" without the associated packaging and marketing costs However, if you don't want to do beads - blurr also suggested other alternatives. It's enough of pain to stabilize humidity well even if you are using better methods than foam/ppg. I'm not saying that foam/ppg is wrong. I am saying that in my experience it has been more difficult to work with satisfactorily, particularly if you are continually buying, adding, taking away cigars as some of us tend to do. You may want to seriously consider getting away from using foam/ppg.
  • Options
    FNAFNA Posts: 55
    Lee says: "some might only be 5-10%"

Could you name names? I've never seen 5 or 10% PG solution. really, only 50%.