Home Pipes

newbie in need of help

Ag03Ag03 Posts: 26
I recently got into pipes and have been having a hell of a time keeping my bowls lit ! ive followed a few methods ive found online and nothing seems to work so now im interested in hearing your methods for packing a bowl and keeping it lit. I mean even with regular draws im relighting abkut every minute and a half to two min. im using a briar wood pipe that was not a cheapie but after seeing the price of some pipes its certainly on the lower end of cost roughly about 40 bucks from my local b&m. and im smoking a house blend of theirs. any help would be greatly appreciated !

Comments

• J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    I use the Frank method, which can be found online. I would also try the Bob method and Bob Tate also walks you through several different methods for flakes too, although you probably are not smoking flakes yet. I would also make sure the tobacco is not too moist. Almost all pipe tobacco is a little too moist (even if it does not feel like it). You should be able to pinch some tightly and it should stick together very briefly before it starts to come back apart. I would recommend even if you think it is right to let the amount you have taken out for your bowl to air out 5 to 10 min.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely pay attention to how moist the tobacco is. If it is too moist and sticks together when you pinch, it will be very hard to keep lit and will just get sour the more you puff. Generally, tobacco is dry enough if when you pinch it together, it starts to fall apart, but is not crunchy or crispy. Aromatics are usually a little stickier because of the added flavors

Also, make sure to lightly tamp down the ashes on top. This will keep the ember in contact with the tobacco.

Any combination of things can make it hard to keep a bowl lit. For me, tobacco moisture was the big problem for a while.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    J.S.:
    I use the Frank method, which can be found online. I would also try the Bob method and Bob Tate also walks you through several different methods for flakes too, although you probably are not smoking flakes yet. I would also make sure the tobacco is not too moist. Almost all pipe tobacco is a little too moist (even if it does not feel like it). You should be able to pinch some tightly and it should stick together very briefly before it starts to come back apart. I would recommend even if you think it is right to let the amount you have taken out for your bowl to air out 5 to 10 min.
    +1 to all of this. The Frank method, which is basically what I do, takes some time to develop the touch, and said "touch" will vary with various tobaccos, but when you get it right, oh boy!
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure what it is called but I gravity feed mine. sprinkle tobacco in until it overflows then pack it to the half way point. Repeat and pack to 3/4 point. Repeat and pack and roll it into the top of the bowl. Light and tamp. Light and tamp. Smoke and tamp lightly as needed. I find larger bowls smokes earier.
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    Pipe packing is pretty easy once you have developed known habits...Frank Method works and I was taught about 30 years ago as to how to pack and keep your pipe smoking w/o having to relight every 5 minutes...that makes the whole thing labor intensive and not really enjoyable. 1. Lay out a pile of your tobacco out on a paper towel ( at least an amount twice as much as your bowl )

2. Use your forefinger and thumb and take enough tobacco as it you were shaking the hand of a baby...light touch and don't squeeze it or compact it. Stuff it into the bowl lightly.

3. Use the same as above except use the technique as if you were shaking the hand of your Momma...a little heavier touch and compacting and then stuff that into the bowl lightly.

4. Use the same as above only use the technique as if you were shaking the hand of your Daddy...firm and then stuff that into your bowl with a bit more force and at the same time use those fingers to twist the tobacco in a circular motion to join the tobacco together as this will make a difference in how long your bowl will keep lit. As the flakes are conjoined combustion reaches down and keep the bowl smoking instead of having those gaps where it just

stops smoking....this is because tamping doesn't always ensure that the tobacco is joined together. 5. After the first few minutes gently tamp down the ash in the bowl...you might have to do this a few times esp. after the first time it goes out.

At the end of the day there are a few tweaks everybody uses that works for them...it's all about finding the perfect way that works for the individual and that's the fun of this hobby and finding your favorite tobacco.