Home Cigar 101

New Member, New Humidor!

First post on the site - been smoking cigars for about a year now. At most I only smoke one every few days. Just acquired this 150ct "display humidor" off eBay since I liked how I could show off the "collection." image Anyone have this humidor? Any good news on it? I just started seasoning it today - I've been salivating just thinking about popping the cigars in there. Unfortunately I live outside Detroit, MI and it's getting rather cold out so I won't be able to smoke cigars as often because it's so darn cold out. :( Anyway - look forward to participating on the site. Already lurked and read a lot of good threads on here. Thanks!

Comments

• MorganGeoMorganGeo Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome! I'm a rather newb here too. Seems like a great group of ppl on here. One benefit of living in the south is that we can smoke outside year round.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess us newbs get to welcome you first. And don't worry, someone will most likely know all there is to know about that humidor. Welcome and enjoy.....
  • Welcome, Brian. Great place to be.:) :)
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only thing I can think of to be concerned about with that humi is to make sure the seals are good on the glass. Often, you may have to "touch up" the seals. Aquarium sealer seems to work the best.
    I'd also get yourself a digital hygrometer or at least double check the one that comes with that humi. They don't often supply the best quality meters with those humis.

I should note that some humis with glass in them may not have sealer and as long as the glass is tight (can't move it by hand or doesn't rattle) it may not need sealer. Depends on how well it was made.

That's about all I know of any problems with them.
    Other than that, they are cool looking and should give you years of satisfaction.

Oh yeah, welcome.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the Forum fellow Michigander! A buddy of mine was thinking about getting the same one, so i'll keep an eye out for updates from you to pass on.
  • reggie713reggie713 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forums! Where in michigan are you located?
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum. Great place, so stick around and look to stock your new humi for the smoking season
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome from another Michigander!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience:
    The only thing I can think of to be concerned about with that humi is to make sure the seals are good on the glass. Often, you may have to "touch up" the seals. Aquarium sealer seems to work the best.
    I'd also get yourself a digital hygrometer or at least double check the one that comes with that humi. They don't often supply the best quality meters with those humis.

I should note that some humis with glass in them may not have sealer and as long as the glass is tight (can't move it by hand or doesn't rattle) it may not need sealer. Depends on how well it was made.

That's about all I know of any problems with them.
    Other than that, they are cool looking and should give you years of satisfaction.

Oh yeah, welcome.
    agreed about the glass. Nice looking humi. Welcome
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome Mif and neat humi, enjoy!
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    90+ Irishman:
    Welcome Mif and neat humi, enjoy!
    Thats "mi-F-body...he's shown you his, now show him yours. : )
  • Thanks for the warm welcomes everyone! Well, I've only had it for 24 hours but it's been holding humidity perfectly. I know I'm rushing it a bit, but I threw my stoagies in there already. With one wipe down and a couple humidifiers in there, it held 80% RH all day yesterday. I verified the analog hygrometer was reading within 1-2% of the digital hygrometer I have. Yanked the humidifiers out and put the beads in that I've been using in my old humidor. It's sitting at a steady 72% right now - a little higher than I'd like but it'll have time to come back down. I won't be smoking the cigars as much now that it's getting so cold out - sitting outside isn't as enjoyable when it's 30* out hahaha. Happy to see so many Michiganders here! I'm from Chesterfield, not too far away from some of you (right around the corner from you, reggie713!) On the topic of the glass - it's just plexi, and it's not sealed, just wedged in, so I'll be keeping an eye on the humidity level. I should have some aquarium sealant around here for my fish tanks, that's OK to use and won't affect the sticks in the humidor? PS - the username is my website I run, not trying to advertise, but I'm a huge F-Body (Camaro and Firebird) fan. :D
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome too the forums!! I actually have this humi my ex got it for me. It's ok but it does need dealing and the hygro is really slow adjusting. I actually drilled the back and put a fan in there. Oh and junk the disc I'm sure you'll find out why. Other then that it's really a 75ct but it looks nice. Hope this helps
    Money can't buy taste