Home General Discussion

What does BOTL mean to you?

EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
Besides the obvious (BOTL = Brothers Of The Leaf), what does it mean to you? Is this about having fellow cigar smokers to talk or hang out with? Is it about the cigars, mostly, or something more?
I've participated in a lot of forums and this one just seems...different--but in very good way.
-- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."

Comments

• RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Similar to being in the military. I'd stop and help a cigar smoker the same way I'd stop and help a service member. We've never met but we're brothers.
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's like meeting an old childhood friend. I've had some great discussions/Vherf's/Herfs with guys and it feels like old times. It's a big family to me.
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    Besides the obvious acronym of the letters to describe words it's really about the meaning of those who share a common bond or trait. For the last 10 years I've been fortunate to travel a lot of the world and visit those 'bucket list" places I used to read about when I was growing up and being able to cement those memories with great cigars and making friends on those trips is something even more special. My last trip a couple of months ago was to see the Panama Canal and this was on a 11 night cruise. I always choose a ship that has a nice Cigar Lounge and on this cruise there were at least 8 men who were the most interesting characters I've ever met and those 11 nights were some of the best conversations I've had....men with varying backgrounds in different professions...some very powerful and others who were retired as I was who were Veterans as far back as WWII and to hear their stories was more than amazing.

Almost every voyage I've taken in the last 15 years ( 25 cruises ) have always been really good and BOTL tends to mean more than just a group of letters.
  • jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    Sharing bowel movements without feeling poopy about it. See cigar 101
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    jliu:
    jliu..you've been hitting the sauce again haven't you?
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    BOTL = Generosity in my mind

Generosity in conversation, Generosity in knowledge, Generosity in acceptance, and last of all and least of all Generosity of their collection.

what struck me about people who smoke cigars is that as a whole there aren't many that are closed. I haven't met a cigar smoker online that won't acknowledge another's thoughts, give their take on those thoughts all while accepting the original thought no matter how off the norm they are. On top of that this place is host to the most generous people i know. The welcoming that this place does to newbies is a little crazy to be honest, but generous none the less.
  • EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rain:
    Similar to being in the military. I'd stop and help a cigar smoker the same way I'd stop and help a service member. We've never met but we're brothers.
    I really like your military analogy, Rain. I rarely traveled in my uniform but I was flying home from Fort Bragg one Christmas wearing my Class A's with jump boots and my maroon beret. About every half hour the stewardess would bring me a new drink. A rum and coke from the guy in row 12, a Crown Royal from the guy in row 30, and so on. Of course all were retired military. I didn't really understand it until I left the military and was flying somewhere and there was a soldier on the plane and of course I had to buy him a drink. I've had a lot of hobbies and have been smoking cigars for several years but and finally "came out of the closet" as it were and started socializing with other cigar smokers (both on line and face to face) It is a very different group and that is a very good thing.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Echambers:
    Rain:
    I really like your military analogy, Rain. I rarely traveled in my uniform but I was flying home from Fort Bragg one Christmas wearing my Class A's with jump boots and my maroon beret. About every half hour the stewardess would bring me a new drink. A rum and coke from the guy in row 12, a Crown Royal from the guy in row 30, and so on. Of course all were retired military. I didn't really understand it until I left the military and was flying somewhere and there was a soldier on the plane and of course I had to buy him a drink. I've had a lot of hobbies and have been smoking cigars for several years but and finally "came out of the closet" as it were and started socializing with other cigar smokers (both on line and face to face) It is a very different group and that is a very good thing.
    I liked that analogy, too. When I was a young motorcyclist, 40 years ago, it was like that too. When I first started riding, you never passed a rider on the side of the road without stopping to see if all was OK. You're right, this place is like that in a lot of ways.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    Cigary:
    jliu:
    jliu..you've been hitting the sauce again haven't you?
    sir yes sir!
  • roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    Family. The family i choose.
    One God, One Truth
  • curtpickcurtpick Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭
    Bring out the ladies !
    Family, Friends, Golf, Cigars, Fine Whiskey, Good beer.... is there anything else ?  Follow on instagram @crguy1961
  • pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    Bust out the Laphroaig? Bring on the langoustines? Bend over tiny leprechaun? I'm not sure.
  • LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    It means everything that is what this forum is about. Discussion, generosity, sharing of knowledge, comradory, general care and kindness to basically strangers with the same general interest. :) the support and conversations that I have had here from totally strangers has been more than I've ever experienced in my life. Friends to share sticks with, friends to bring sorrow and laughter to, friends to shoot the s**t with (despite some being Chevy fans. Lol), people to bomb, people to trade with, people who are genuine All around awesome people!awesome!
    Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.
  • EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    pelirrojo:
    Bust out the Laphroaig?
    You had me at Laphroaig.
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bigshizza:
    It's like meeting an old childhood friend. I've had some great discussions/Vherf's/Herfs with guys and it feels like old times. It's a big family to me.
    This and what Rain said... I have only met a small handful of brothers here but there is damn near nothing I wouldn't do for ANY BOTL, it's like a family to me, one that I take care of, protect, and cherish. He'll I made Dan (Toombes) the Godfather of my son, and Ray (Glock1975) is my Blood Brother from Another Mother... I could keep on going with so many other brothers here, this is Ccom and this is BOTL!

"When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rain:

I also agree 100%. There is something to be said for loyalty and brotherhood.
    I hope I can pass it on to my grand kids.
  • bearbbearb Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭
    So many detailed descriptions that resonate with me. In many ways, the 1st Chicago Herf was the epitome of what a botl gathering is to me. Having 8 people, whom mostly have not met in person before....fly, drive, walk or crawl from across the continent to get together for what is essentially a few hours makes little sense to most people. And yet it was beyond description. All barriers were down: the instant connections like you have been best friends since before birth; the genuine interest in conversation; the care and concern to attempt to learn about each other; and obviously the creation of memories as a result, were truly phenomenal and will never be forgotten (atleast until I am at the stage of hiding my own easter eggs that is). Obviously others are aware of the uniqueness of similar events, through their own botl experiences, perhaps it is the ineffable nature of such an event that is the draw...as a dozen are doing the same thing again..in a few short days! thanks :)