Home General Discussion

Preserving Freshness While Shipping

I have a quick question, which was essentially asked in the subject of this post. About how long will sticks stay fresh if I ship a box to myself while in Afghanistan?

The last thing I want to do is order some nice cigars for myself and my soldiers and have them be bone dry.

Also, if anyone has any ideas on how to keep them fresh while over here I'd love to hear those ideas too...best one I've heard so far is the containers for a night optic, but right now I'm milking my humidor pouch.

Look forward to reading your responses!

-Chris

Comments

• 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Chris, first of all welcome to Ccom and thank you and your troops so much for the sacrifices you make for all of us, be safe as you can y'all!!!

As for the cigars if you are doing somewhat longer term storage (more than just a couple days) and you are trying to keep it as cheap as possible I would recommend either a plastic storage container like Tupperware, or a gallon sized ziplock bag. To keep it fresh when you have the cigars sent from the states just make sure that a 69% or 72% Boveda pack is sent with it so you can throw it inside of the bag or Tupperware directly with the cigars. Will maintain either 69% or 72% rH while inside the environment for a couple months per pack. They are a few dollars a packet so extra cheap and super easy there too. Will absorb too much rH or give off rH if it is too low.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    Boveda packs or humi pillows in a tupperware container that seals.
    Oh if you are in a truly bad pinch and you are trying to keep just 1-3 or so cigars fresh for 24-48 hrs and you have no other options or solutions, a wedge of fresh apple inside a ziplock bag will maintain nearly a perfect rH environment for roughly 48-72 hrs tops. Not something I recommend doing if you have ANY other options, but in a pinch and without a different option open this will work FYI.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Thanks for the ideas! I'm using the apple one for now, but when I order my cigars I'll make sure the Boveda packs are added to my cart. I appreciate the advice and your support for my men. I can't wait to share some stogies with them!
    No problem and thank YOU AND YOUR MEN, sir!!! Please stay as safe as y'all can and thank you and all of your men and their families for your sacrifices, enjoy those sticks!
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    A slice of bread works well too if you need it in a pinch

Aj
  • FNAFNA Posts: 55
    "just 1-3 or so cigars fresh for 24-48 hrs"

A day, two days? Just keep 'em in your pocket.

C'mon, we're talking cigars not phyllo dough or beluga. They don't go bad overnight.
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    FNA:
    "just 1-3 or so cigars fresh for 24-48 hrs" A day, two days? Just keep 'em in your pocket. C'mon, we're talking cigars not phyllo dough or beluga. They don't go bad overnight.

that wouldnt work for me. if I leave a cigar out of the humi for more then a few hours it will dry out to the point of the wrapper peeling or flaking off. And since he is going to Afghan, it will be probably much drier there.

Aj
    dr_frankenstein56:
    FNA:
    "just 1-3 or so cigars fresh for 24-48 hrs" A day, two days? Just keep 'em in your pocket. C'mon, we're talking cigars not phyllo dough or beluga. They don't go bad overnight.

that wouldnt work for me. if I leave a cigar out of the humi for more then a few hours it will dry out to the point of the wrapper peeling or flaking off. And since he is going to Afghan, it will be probably much drier there.

Aj
    Same, and honestly for many of us here cigars are treated better than most would ever consider sane. It works for us, and if it doesn't for you that's fine but one way or the other isn't right or wrong. Merely right or wrong for you or me.
  • New_BootsNew_Boots Posts: 2,651 ✭✭
    Speaking from first hand experience..it will take about a week for a package to get from the states to afghan. With Christmas coming up, expect ship ties to go up a bit more.

If you still have time, I'd get some of the water packs. A local tobacco shop, even if they don't carry cigars, will have them. Not perfect, but it will work.

It will start getting warm there in March, and will be rather warm May through September. Once there, get you some tupperware to store the sticks in. The little hydration discs will work with the bottled water you'll have there (don't kill me boys, distilled water isnt exactly available over there!).

Be sure to "burp" the container every once in a while. A humidor would be ideal, but if you get one keep a CLOSE eye on it. They will fluctuate A LOT over there.

Good luck brother...we're here for ya if you need it. Feel free to PM me, with any questions. Cigar or Afghanistan related