Home Cigar 101
Options

Cigar fumigation and beatles.

pilot711pilot711 Posts: 176
I am sure some of you have already read this in the latest ccom newsletter but i will post it for those who might have missed it. Interesting. Q & A: Fumigating Cigars? Q: I've heard some manufacturers fumigate their cigars before shipment. Is this safe? A: Indeed. Almost 90% of all manufacturers put their cigars through a process to keep insects, mostly tobacco beetles, from destroying their blends. Unfortunately, like all plants, tobacco serves not only as a home but also as food to many different types of insects. Before the cigars are shipped for distribution, some manufacturers freeze the tobacco, which rids the cigars of any pests including tobacco beetles. These insects can eat through a box of cigars in about two days and therefore this process is definitely necessary. Other manufacturers prefer fumigating their cigars before shipment. Since this process utilizes a gas and not a vapor to rid the cigars of any unwanted pests, it evaporates and dissipates quickly, leaving no residue. Each fumigation process differs from factory to factory, but none of them harm or taint the cigars since the gases used are odorless, flavorless, and do not saturate the sticks.

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    pilot711:
    Almost 90% of all manufacturers put their cigars through a process to keep insects, mostly tobacco beetles, from destroying their blends.
    so 10% dont? hmmmm... so for every 100 sticks i have, statisticly speaking, 10 of them have not been fumigated.... Maddy!! do you see this!! HA!
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    pilot711:
    Almost 90% of all manufacturers put their cigars through a process to keep insects, mostly tobacco beetles, from destroying their blends.
    so 10% dont? hmmmm... so for every 100 sticks i have, statisticly speaking, 10 of them have not been fumigated.... Maddy!! do you see this!! HA!
    He's probably dragging all his sticks to the deep freeze right now..
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Hey I froze all my cigars and will freeze them all now before they hit my humis
  • Options
    kodkod Posts: 41
    How long would you want to freeze them?
  • Options
    Peoples opinions vary but 24 hours was enough for me. 24 hours in the freezer and 10 or so in the fridge afterwards should be fine.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    when i did my collection last i had em in the deep freeze ( -5) for 48 hours and then in 38* for another 48. over kill is ok by me. now i just buy better sticks and only freeze the questionable ones.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    when i did my collection last i had em in the deep freeze ( -5) for 48 hours and then in 38* for another 48. over kill is ok by me. now i just buy better sticks and only freeze the questionable ones.
    Definetly overkill but it won't cause any harm and you had access to deep freeze so why not! I know for a fact now that 24 hours in a normal home freezer will kill them so I'm ok with just that but if I had access to a deep freeze I would probably consider it.