Home Non Cigar Related

Coffee

MorganGeoMorganGeo Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
I enjoy coffee so much. I love trying new brands and whatnot. I especially love pairing a cigar with a coffee. Especially a Cameroon. I thought it would be neat to see what coffees you all drink? Any special to your location?

Comments

• jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been stuck on Sumatra and Millstone's Fog Lifter for a number of years now. I turn the pot off as soon as the brewing is complete because I refuse to drink burnt coffee. Much rather make ice coffee from what is left. Also, I am not a purest and I use Irish Cream because good coffee will always come through.
  • gripnripgripnrip Posts: 502 ✭✭✭
    After getting some for a gift, I've ordered from Big Water Coffee Roasters, Bayfield, WI (www.bigwatercoffee.com). I've had the Sea Smoke Blend (smooooth!) and the Wet Devil decaf, which is no doubt the best decaf I've had. Just ordered some of the Red Beard Espresso Blend.
  • jgkaminjgkamin Posts: 110 ✭✭
    Nothing quite like some Blue Mountain coffee from Jamaica.
  • WaltBasilWaltBasil Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    Having some Tully's Hawaiian blend from the Keurig today. With some French vanilla creamer. mmmm.
  • thedjfish@comcast.netthedjfish@comcast.net Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭
    well you hit my sweet spot coffee's, i drink 3 bands starbucks, hawaiian roasters, and coffee bean direct,
    i have mainly alot of latin type but have a few others i like, casi cielo, santos brazilian, guatemala, columbian,estima, jamaican blue mountain, kona, and a lot more, all whole coffee bean, i grind my own, and buy the 5lb bags.
    since i dont drink heavy liquors other then cognac every so often, my cigar smoking is matched to my coffee's, nothing like a good cup of coffee and a good cigar to get the day going.
  • Poopy_JonesPoopy_Jones Posts: 455 ✭✭✭
    Nothing complicated for me. One cup of decaf per day with some coffee mate
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I picked up a french press and a grinder about a month ago and am just starting to explore this world, so far starbucks house blend, Peet's dark french roast, Cafe Ole Hawaiian.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I love good coffee and can drink it all day long
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    fla-gypsy:
    I love good coffee and can drink it all day long
    Me too, but I have to limit myself to 4 cups (2 big ones) a day,,, cant go back to the crappy stuff. Oh and I like it straight
  • EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We have a great little local coffee roaster in Bellingham called Woods. Drink a couple cups a day made with freshly ground beans in a French press. I guess I am a coffee snob...oh man, I never thought about that....but i am from Seattle and have a gold card from Starbucks...I think I shouldn't have admitted that!
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    I like Stumptown out of Portland, but my favorite locally is a place called Sunnyside Up. Their Lava Java, Komodo, Polar and one other that I can't think of are awesome. Sometimes the best part of my day is the 10 am coffee run. The only thing I don't like is the place is also popular with the hippies and retirees with nothing else to do but take an hour to order a basic cup of coffee. (Yes, I'm sorry IT IS, IN FACT, TOO MUCH TO ASK for them to grind a new batch and allow you to check for the specific ground size you prefer and only then brew your particular cup of coffee when there are 15 of us behind you).
  • ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    Whole bean Rwandan or Sumatra, a good burr grinder(not a big fan of the cheap grinders with blades, too inconsistent...), a quality French Press, filtered water and a splash of sweet cream. Heaven in my cup!
    Poopy Jones:
    Nothing complicated for me. One cup of decaf per day with some coffee mate

I just had a vision of you drinking three cups of espresso and then wailing away behind your kit like Animal on cocaine... LMAO!!!!
  • New_BootsNew_Boots Posts: 2,651 ✭✭
    I just like coffee....beautiful, beautiful coffee
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Toombes:
    Whole bean Rwandan or Sumatra, a good burr grinder(not a big fan of the cheap grinders with blades, too inconsistent...), a quality French Press, filtered water and a splash of sweet cream. Heaven in my cup!
    Mmm....a man after my own heart.
    I love a good Sumatra bean.

Tried something new this month though & I'm thoroughly enjoyin' a Costa Rican Vienna bean in the pourover. And yes, nice burr grinder....can't go wrong.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
    JGKAMIN:
    Nothing quite like some Blue Mountain coffee from Jamaica.

This is my feelings as well. Seems this stuff goes with anything. Straight, creamer, sugar or combination of them. It just works.

And what New Boots said as well. I love trying different beans and I mostly drink it straight. Here lately I've been trying creamer. But not to much :). Nice thread by the way.

jgibv:
    Toombes:

Tried something new this month though & I'm thoroughly enjoyin' a Costa Rican Vienna bean in the pourover. And yes, nice burr grinder....can't go wrong.

I still need to pick up a pour over set-up...
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Toombes:
    jgibv:
    Toombes:

Do you want something that will make a single serving (2 cups) at a time? Or something bigger that can make 6-8 cups at a time?

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• I love the Hawaiin Kona coffee. So delicious. Also, kicking horse is really good.
    jgibv:
    Toombes:
    jgibv:
    Toombes:

Do you want something that will make a single serving (2 cups) at a time? Or something bigger that can make 6-8 cups at a time?

Since I completely missed this reply/question from John, he took matters into his own hands.
    This came in the mail Saturday morning and I've been using it since I opened the package. So much easier to make a single travel cup or whatever mug you use and you can easily control the strength by changing the grind and amount of your favorite coffee. Thanks for the awesome gift, John!
    photo E39C5F1C-11CD-414A-8578-0E48F7D06F97_zps7jrlkqbj.jpg
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yakster said:

I see a big eye'd ghost. Why you not necro this thread before Halloween? 
    Because this is what I poured in my daughter's cup this morning.

I was wondering why I couldn't have poured this for Halloween myself, but I've been using non-dairy sugar-free creamer in an Aeroccino and don't usually end up with anything that looks like anything.

• MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    I got a new burr grinder for Christmas.  Not top of the line, but better than the old burr I had.  And the adjustment isn't broken so that's a huge plus.

And while I'm not usually a fan of Char-#ucks, (Gawd, do they ruin a good looking Sumatra bean or what?) they did right by their $35/bag Jamaican Blue Mountain beans that I also got.  I've had a cup of it from their Clover machine in store before and it was great, but I think my French press does it better than their thousands of dollars machine.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • TrishTrish Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What makes some coffee taste so bitter? Is it quality, strength or heat? I'm starting to drink it a little more often but different places/different days I'll get a cup that's SO bitter I won't drink it. 
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @yakster ^^^^
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
    Another factor is how much coffee is used in brewing a pot. People have started using less than the ideal amount of coffee when brewing pots of really dark roasted coffee so that it doesn't taste so bitter, but this just leads to a thin cup. A good ratio is 15 to 1 parts water to coffee for a strong cup of coffee like you would get it a good cafe. I once calculated the brew ratio for the office coffee and found that I needed to use 1 1/2 packs of the pre-ground coffee to get the right ratio and even and found that this really improved the flavor of even Peet's or Starbucks.

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMHO, acidity is the leading cause of bitterness. 

Youre welcome.....