Home Cigar 101

Cigars plugging over time

GaryKGaryK Posts: 15
I have a 150ct humidor that is fairly full. The humidity is between 63 and 68% all the time. Yet on the bottom right section of the humidor every cigar I've pulled out of that corner to smoke in the past few weeks has been hard and plugged. Do you think it's possible I have extra humidity in that corner and that the humidity is plugging up my cigars? It's driving me crazy and I don't know what to do about it - nothing worse than getting all jazzed up for a smooth relaxing smoke to find out I'm sucking my brains out for a whisper of smoke. Any suggestions?

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    maybe? i rotate my humidor often so i cant tell you for sure. usually its just the opposite. the longer they sit the better they draw. and with humidity under 70% all the time it shouldnt be an issue.

unlucky?
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I second kuzi's rotation suggestion.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    And three makes a crowd. The second I read that I thought .. to dry, you need to rotate.
    Anybody want a peanut?
  • GaryKGaryK Posts: 15
    I have to ask....what's with Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo???
    One more question....do you think they are too wet or too dry? I thought they would plug from being too wet. Anybody???
    By the way Urbino will bait you into his twisted jokes. Go ahead and ask....
    GaryK:
    One more question....do you think they are too wet or too dry? I thought they would plug from being too wet. Anybody???
    My theory is it's a combination of high humidity in that part of your humi for some reason, and pressure from being in the bottom corner of a full-ish humi of that size. Bear in mind that I'm speaking on theory, while kuzi can speak from much more experience. I'd wait to hear what he (or other experienced owners around here) thinks.

Also, just ignore kas. He was dropped on his head when he was little. :)
    GaryK:
    I don't understand the question. What do you mean "what's with" it? It's a simple statement of fact. Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo do buffalo Buffalo buffalo. That's just the nature of buffalo in the Buffalo area.
    urbino:
    I don't understand the question. What do you mean "what's with" it? It's a simple statement of fact. Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo do buffalo Buffalo buffalo. That's just the nature of buffalo in the Buffalo area.
    you jerk. ... thats great. lol
    oh yeah... the task at hand...

the preasure in the corner i dont see bing much of a problem... i mean how many cigars do you have DIRECTLY over top of that thing? 60-70? or 1-10? there isnt that much weight there. I doubt that is the problem. if weight of other cigars was plugging them up youd notice it on the wrapper of the cigar. it would look damaged.
    maybe that corner has a humidity issue. If the humidor is big enough stick a fan near there to move it around. If it isnt, rotate your stock once a quarter (3 months) and dont smoke out of the corner.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    urbino:
    GaryK:
    That was pretty @$$holish. I love it. Ok back to Gary now, lol. I'm with everyone else rotate your stock. If possible I'd also consider drying out and reseasoning your humi.
    Another thing try setting your hygrometer in that corner to get a reading.
    good thought.
    Okay, okay! Uncle!

Sorry, Gary. Go here for the buffalo explanation.

Urby see you're a softy at heart you can't play tough guy with us we know better!
    You only say that because it's true, maddy.
    Ok, urbina, now I get it!!! Thanks for solving the mystery - I would have NEVER figured that out on my own. By the way, I have rotated my stock. I don't think the problem is weight because I only stack 3-4 deep. I talked to Jeff at c.com and he seems to think I just hit a bizarre statistical anomaly in that I hit 3 plugged cigars in a row. What are the odds? I think I'll go out and buy a lottery ticket now. In any case I'll rotate anyway because I didn't know I was supposed to do that. Thanks very much, guys, I sincerely appreciate the feedback!!!! I even enjoyed urbina's mind bender...
    Sorry, urbin"o" not "a" - My bad!!
    No problem, Gary. I'm in touch with my feminine side. :)

Here's hoping you have better luck in the future. Rotating is a good idea, regardless.
    urbino:
    Rotating is a good idea, regardless.
    agreed. I rotate in two ways.
    1) where the cigars are located in the humidor
    B) what dorection the band is facing. (up, down, left, right) I activly rotate only once every 3 or 4 months.
    Hmmm I rotate my stock whenever I'm rummaging for a cigar. Seems to work ok. lol
  • MarkbbMarkbb Posts: 196
    GaryK:
    Ok, urbina, now I get it!!! Thanks for solving the mystery - I would have NEVER figured that out on my own. By the way, I have rotated my stock. I don't think the problem is weight because I only stack 3-4 deep. I talked to Jeff at c.com and he seems to think I just hit a bizarre statistical anomaly in that I hit 3 plugged cigars in a row. What are the odds? I think I'll go out and buy a lottery ticket now. In any case I'll rotate anyway because I didn't know I was supposed to do that. Thanks very much, guys, I sincerely appreciate the feedback!!!! I even enjoyed urbina's mind bender...
    Maybe I should play the lotto too, I've had this problem where I've smoked two plugged cigars back to back and talk about getting just a tad pissed, and they were hi-end cigars too..
    thats why im gunna get a cigar tool soon. i cant deal with the plugged $10+ cigar anymore. not that it happens that often but again, isnt once enough?
  • la-henryla-henry Posts: 74
    Cigar tool???????? explain please???
    i know xikar makes tools but not the one i have in mind.
    basicly the tool im talkin about is a handle with a thin long rod on the end of it designed to unplug cigars. im not sure if cigar.com sells them off the top of my head but they are out there and they usually run under $20. the way i look at it is if you unplug 4 or so $5 cigars then its paid itself off.
    My B&M sells one that is about the thickness of a paper clip and is about 6 inches long and one end is bent into a hook, $5. The Xikar tool the Draw poker tool is only about an inch or 1.5" long. I don't know how helpful it would really be but its there.
  • MarkbbMarkbb Posts: 196
    Cigar tool will work occasionally, trust me I've used mine to no avail......I teach my wife a new word everytime it happens
    You talking about the Xikar one Mark?
    madurofan:
    My B&M sells one that is about the thickness of a paper clip and is about 6 inches long and one end is bent into a hook, $5. The Xikar tool the Draw poker tool is only about an inch or 1.5" long. I don't know how helpful it would really be but its there.
    So why not use a straightened out paper clip and some caution so as not to pierce the side of your cigar.