Home Non Cigar Related

Duck Dynasty

I may be in the minority here, but I am sick and tired of all this duck dynasty merchandise. Cookies, clothes, glasses, cigars.....talk about overkill. Better then having honey boo boo crap. Are you sick of it?

Comments

• MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes. And don't forget they're branding a wine, now.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never seen the show but I despise this level of merchandising regardless of what it represents. Hate Sock Monkey and Justin Bieber for the same reasons, they are everywhere I turn and therefor I now hate them on principal alone lol.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    Have no problem with a bunch of readneck boys making it big, plus I like the show........
    No issues with them or the show, the marketing and merchandising is annoying when it is everywhere to me. Should have clarified.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Love the show, hate the whoring themselves out.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • New_BootsNew_Boots Posts: 2,651 ✭✭
    Watching Duck Dynasty makes my brain drip out of my ears slowly
  • BombayBombay Posts: 1,207
    Agree with the Show being absloute the best part of the family. Hilarious even. The merchandise I dont see as much but you know what they say, "make hay when the sun is shining!"
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Ken Light:
    Love the show, hate the whoring themselves out.
    +1
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Somebody's buyin' what (Edited. ) are sellin', otherwise that stuff would just rot on the shelves at walmart. Anybody heard if the cigars are any good?
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love Duck Dynasty. I honestly think I was seperated from that family at birth. I do find the merchandising to be overkill and ridiculous. It will cause the end of Duck Dynasty. Remember most of these companies buy the merchandising rights. Sure they may have control of it along with the tv channel but they are grinding it into the ground.
  • ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    I'm a fan of the show and, yes, I even own a Phil Robertson "Happy, Happy, Happy" shirt but I do agree that the merchandising is way out of control. I can understand shirts, Si's tea glass and a couple of books but enough is enough. My wife pointed out a women's sleep shirt. Sorry, but I really don't want to roll over I the morning and see Willy staring at me.
    Bob, the cigars are mediocre at best. If they weren't so damn expensive they would be a passive yard 'gar.
    I don't watch the show. And, I have nothing against the guys either. From everything I've heard about them, they are "salt of the earth" great guys. Yeah the merchandising is crazy. But people buy it. And, those guys are probably doing a few good deeds with any money they earn so, more power to 'em.

Too bad about the cigars.
  • I like the show but dont care for the merchandise. They now have their own brand of chapstick. Somebody is buying it. No wonder they are worth millions.
    Toombes:
    I'm a fan of the show and, yes, I even own a Phil Robertson "Happy, Happy, Happy" shirt but I do agree that the merchandising is way out of control. I can understand shirts, Si's tea glass and a couple of books but enough is enough. My wife pointed out a women's sleep shirt. Sorry, but I really don't want to roll over I the morning and see Willy staring at me.
    Bob, the cigars are mediocre at best. If they weren't so damn expensive they would be a passive yard 'gar.
    I'd think at your age you'd be pretty excited to see your willy staring at ya... Ohhh nvm you mean the character willy ;)
    90+ Irishman:
    Toombes:
    I'd think at your age you'd be pretty excited to see your willy staring at ya... Ohhh nvm you mean the character willy ;)

That's wrong on so many levels...
    Toombes:
    90+ Irishman:
    Toombes:

That's wrong on so many levels...
    Truth... It's a heartless mistress ain't it? ;)
    Truth is so cold-hearted it pi55es ice cubes.
  • soyouseesoyousee Posts: 40
    Have seen the show, but don't watch it. Love all of them, they keep their money in our bank, and are smart enough to ride the train as far as it goes. LOL we pay them to put their life size pictures in all the branches. They are not actors and are in life as they appear on TV!

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    I love the show but it's slowly falling out of my rotation. The merchandise is crazy but I don't blame them. I heard they only get 10k an episode so why not make more, assuming they get cuts of those sales. I remember the same thing happening with Jeff Foxworthy...did you know he has grit flavored chips? lol...
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    In the store today I saw Duck Dynasty- Si slippers. Yes, now you can have his head covering you feet.
    Is the latest controversy just part of the act? If not, surely A&E isn't surprised by Daddy Duck's comments. And doesn't this just boost ratings? Seems like more fake "reality" to me.
  • I dont think anything Phil does is fake. It really pisses me off that they suspended him. I guess freedom of speech doesnt exist anymore. This goes to show you that A&E doesnt approve of the bible and freedom of speech. Phil was stating things from the bible in which he believes in. What is happening to this country?
  • jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    Gino USMC:
    I dont think anything Phil does is fake. It really pisses me off that they suspended him. I guess freedom of speech doesnt exist anymore. This goes to show you that A&E doesnt approve of the bible and freedom of speech. Phil was stating things from the bible in which he believes in. What is happening to this country?
    While I agree with most of what Phil said... A&E also has the freedom to not support him. No one is curtailing Phil's freedom of speech.
  • pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    He's free to say whatever he wants and he did. He just happened to offend a few folks. Now they're saying what they want and his bosses don't care much for it. Such is life. It's not A&E's job to approve of the bible. There's lots of people in this country that don't follow the bible, which is often forgotten by those who do.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only reality TV I watch is COPS and America's Funniest Videos. I have seen 1 or 2 episodes of Duck but it is not going to end up on my DVR, nothing against it a all, just does not interest me.

Merchandising is a fact of life, and I make the decision to buy something or not. No one makes it for me.

Freedom of speech and the right to practice one's religion freely, are two of the basic concepts this country is built on. And I don't care who you are, you better be real concerned when any one or any group starts messing with either one.
  • jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    jd50ae:
    Freedom of speech and the right to practice one's religion freely, are two of the basic concepts this country is built on. And I don't care who you are, you better be real concerned when any one or any group starts messing with either one.
    Protection from government influence is a founding principle. Just because you have something to say doesn't mean I, as a private citizen or business, have to give you a microphone. If I do give you a microphone and start saying things I don't like, I am also free to take that microphone away.
    Gino USMC:
    I dont think anything Phil does is fake. It really pisses me off that they suspended him. I guess freedom of speech doesnt exist anymore. This goes to show you that A&E doesnt approve of the bible and freedom of speech. Phil was stating things from the bible in which he believes in. What is happening to this country?
    I don't think he isn't genuine. I believe he is. (Except for the made-up goofy situations that they portray on the show) What I was trying to say is that the reaction from A&E doesn't seem genuine. "Suspending" him seems like fake outrage to me. They are trying to salvage thier investment. Nothing more.
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    jthanatos:
    jd50ae:
    Protection from government influence is a founding principle. Just because you have something to say doesn't mean I, as a private citizen or business, have to give you a microphone. If I do give you a microphone and start saying things I don't like, I am also free to take that microphone away.
    Hear, hear!!!

But...what did A&E expect? They know what these people are about. It seems disingenuous to me. Either that, or it was a marriage destined to fail the moment this question was asked. There was no infringement of free speech. A&E is acting as a corporation sees fit to protect its own values and business, whether or not you agree with them. But what were they thinking in the first place? Really?

I have a bigger problem with the Duck Dynasty lottery tickets than anything else, but I hate the idea and effects of a lottery. Stupid regressive tax is what it is.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If he had made the statement on A&E, I could see their point. He was being interviewed by GQ, and was asked his opinion. Duh, his opinion should have been easy to predict, they've never been shy about their religious or social views. What happened? He stepped on the toes of a new religion, political correctness.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's one of those things where any out-spoken person who is in the lime-light should expect.
    For that matter, it was something that A&E had to have expected to happen sooner or later with one of them.

I have to think they knew that someone would eventually make some comment that would offend someone sooner or later.
    Imagine the delight of the reporter from GQ when he was able to direct the conversation into a controversial subject.

I like the show. Some of the stuff is so stupid, it's funny.
    Scripted. More than likely, but I watch it for what it is. Entertainment.
    Kind of like all the stupid storage auction shows. It would be silly to believe they aren't scripted.
    That's how networks like that make their money and they will market them as much as they can until the novelty wears off.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.