Home Cigar 101

New humidor

I know this has probably been discussed in a forum somewhere but I am unable to find the answer and I am a newbie to humidors but have been smoking cigars for a while. The question I have is that I did a salt test on my hygrometer and it is set correctly. The next thing I did was fill the humidifier with Griffo activation solution and put a small container of distilled water in the bottom. It has set over night and the hygrometer is showing a 65% humidity reading in the case. Can I now remove the container of water and start using my humidor or should I was another day and see if the reading will change. Thanks for the help.

Comments

• RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    I'd take the water out and check it tomorrow. No sense in rushing.I'd also get boveda packs or some beads. If you're using the gel or the rectangular/circular ones....seem to be mold magnets.
  • ehehatehehat Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭
    It's very unlikely that your humidor is properly seasoned in such a short time. When using bowls of distilled water it can easily take 5-7 days. Here's a method thats tried and true from one of our own. Several of us have used this with great results. Its also a couple threads below yours.

http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/610297.aspx
  • I took the water out and the rh dropped to 60 so I put it back in. I also went to the local book store which is the only place near by that sells cigars and no luck on bead packs so might have to order online
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum :)

I would continue to keep the distilled water in place for several days. The wood inside your humidor is still soaking up all that moisture and you should let this take place slowly. Assuming your hygrometer is correct your readings might climb into the 70% to 75% to 80% range after a few days. (Wintertime humidity is very low in some houses so your top readings may not be that high but let it get as humid as it can with your current set up.) Let your humidor continue to soak up that moisture. Then you can let it level off after you have allowed it to absorb as much as it can.

The humidifier that most likely came with your humidor can eventually grow mold, but for a while it will be OK to use until you figure out something better. There are many humidification options available. One of the easiest methods for a novice (or anyone else) would be Boveda packets.

Boveda Link

And make sure you have a good reliable digital model hygrometer. Xikar or Hygro-set make nice little round digital models that are more reliable than the analog hygrometers that typically come with desktop humidors.

(This is only my opinion and my advice. Your results may vary.)

And here's a nice video about how to season a desktop humidor using the “No-wipe” method.

• Thank you for the help. After putting the distilled water back in the humidor is back up to 70 percent rh going to let it go another day and see if it rises any futher or see if it has leveled off.
    I'll say again, you're not gonna get that thing seasoned in a day or two. Put the distilled water in and leave it for a minimum if three days without opening. The cedar needs time to absorb moisture. Sure your hygrometer will read a good rh with the DW in but that doesn't mean the wood has absorbed enough to remain steady after you take it out. You really should read the link to the other thread I posed or look on here on cigar 101 for Catfish method of seasoning a humidor. You won't regret it. I used the wipe meathod and had terrible fluctuation issues. Tried the bowl method but rushed it ( like your doing now) and my humi was constantly drying out. Used the method referred above and gave had zero issues since. Just my .02 brother. Good luck and keep coming back! :)
    ehehat:
    I'll say again, you're not gonna get that thing seasoned in a day or two. Put the distilled water in and leave it for a minimum if three days without opening. The cedar needs time to absorb moisture. Sure your hygrometer will read a good rh with the DW in but that doesn't mean the wood has absorbed enough to remain steady after you take it out. You really should read the link to the other thread I posed or look on here on cigar 101 for Catfish method of seasoning a humidor. You won't regret it. I used the wipe meathod and had terrible fluctuation issues. Tried the bowl method but rushed it ( like your doing now) and my humi was constantly drying out. Used the method referred above and gave had zero issues since. Just my .02 brother. Good luck and keep coming back! :)
    Amen to all that. Gotta be patient even though you really really want to load it up with cigars already.
  • Thanks for the advice. I'm not trying to rush it just letting the people helping know where I am at and get some more pointers. I am going to wait at least till Monday night to see were it is at before I take the bowl of distilled water out.
    Minime3171:
    Thanks for the advice. I'm not trying to rush it just letting the people helping know where I am at and get some more pointers. I am going to wait at least till Monday night to see were it is at before I take the bowl of distilled water out.
    OK, sounds good. Keep us posted.
    Perfect. Thanks for the updates. Pics are always welcome.
  • Will snap some pics here in a bit and get them uploaded
  • Boy its hard to upload photos to the site
  • Here are a couple photos
    imageimage
  • Sorry about the size still figuring out this photobucket stuff
    Love the black. Is that the original foam humidifier? Those things are well known mold magnets.
  • Yeah thats is the original thats all I have at this time and the bookstore that carries cigar items doesn't have anything else will have to get online and get a bead jar or something similar.
  • ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    Looking good. Like Bob said, you'd be better off to go digital when it comes to hygrometer. They seem to be more accurate.
  • Checked this morning the humidity is around 72 percent. Going to wait till Monday night to see what the rh is. Hopefully it will still be around that area and I will be able to take the distilled water out and let it sit another day to see if it stabilized then will be putting cigars in it on Tuesday hopefully.
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    Passive and active humidification.......I've used them both and can do it both ways w/o any hassle. Passive humidification does require patience...days of it so it is vital that your equipment is where it needs to be...your hygro needs to be dead nutts on or at least 2% plus or minus. As far as active is concerned I've done this quite a few times...sponge lightly dipped in DW...the key word here is "Lightly" and don't press the sponge into the cedar inside the humidor. Just let it glide over the wood where you see it being moistened and it requires just a light touch and then move on around each side, bottom and top and as far as the crevices are concerned is where some tend to push the sponge into the cracks and that is where it becomes too moist. You don't have to ensure that every crevice is moist...just ensure that you use a light touch and keep the top or drawer open for at least 24 hours where the outside temp. is around 72- 78 and you'll be ready to put your sticks back in the humidor. Don't overfill it...3/4 full is enough and if your RH gets over 70%....put in a small dish of KL or one of those silica packets that are in those pharmaceuticals...that will draw excess moisture and get your RH down in an hour or so. Once your RH is where you want it remove the packet and enjoy a seasoned humidor.
    Cigary:
    Passive and active humidification.......I've used them both and can do it both ways w/o any hassle. Passive humidification does require patience...days of it so it is vital that your equipment is where it needs to be...your hygro needs to be dead nutts on or at least 2% plus or minus. As far as active is concerned I've done this quite a few times...sponge lightly dipped in DW...the key word here is "Lightly" and don't press the sponge into the cedar inside the humidor. Just let it glide over the wood where you see it being moistened and it requires just a light touch and then move on around each side, bottom and top and as far as the crevices are concerned is where some tend to push the sponge into the cracks and that is where it becomes too moist. You don't have to ensure that every crevice is moist...just ensure that you use a light touch and keep the top or drawer open for at least 24 hours where the outside temp. is around 72- 78 and you'll be ready to put your sticks back in the humidor. Don't overfill it...3/4 full is enough and if your RH gets over 70%....put in a small dish of KL or one of those silica packets that are in those pharmaceuticals...that will draw excess moisture and get your RH down in an hour or so. Once your RH is where you want it remove the packet and enjoy a seasoned humidor.
    What would you consider "Active" humidification? I would call that a cigar oasis or some other form of electric humidifier. If I'm correct I'm guessing thats going overboard in this situation. Based on the pictures he provided, it appears he only has a 25-50 count humi.
  • I have done everything and now have put a few cigars into my humidor and the reading is at about 62 percent. Is this ok or should I get it higher?
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Minime3171:
    I have done everything and now have put a few cigars into my humidor and the reading is at about 62 percent. Is this ok or should I get it higher?
    60-69 RH is fine, it's a matter of preference.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I'd leave the water in until half of it is gone or more. I left 12 bowls in my cabinet for 3 weeks and most of the water was gone. You won't have to wait that long but at least a week. You should see less water. Also make sure not to open it up very much.