Home Non Cigar Related

Verizon Wireless

RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
Is my phone provider.I get a call. "We're upgrading the 4g network in your area and you might lose service for a while. Verizon will comp you, write down this authorization number. Also, please verify your name, last four, billing address..." Name? Ok. Addy? Fine. Last four? FOR REAL?At which point I have to stop the guy and ask him why all that is needed. I mean, you called me. Can't Verizon tell from their end how much time my phone is off the grid and just comp me? Jeez. Want my bank account number too? Not sure if it's a scam or not...but I bet there is a better way to inform people. Besides...what if I give the wrong last four? You're right....someone stole my phone in order to steal this activation code. Whatever.

Comments

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    “Danger, Will Robinson!”
    GIFSoup
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    That sounds like phishing of the highest order. Why would Verizon spend money on a person to call you when they could just send a mass text. This seems to be AT&Ts main form of communicating with me. Upgrading towers? Loss of service... I smell bullsh!t. Behind every major carrier is a secondary network(usually Edge) they affiliate with so they can still get their money even though you're not on "their" network. I'm rambling....
  • blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Yep I've got Verizon and they just text me an alert. I'd forward the phone number that called you to Verizon and let them know of the scam. They already have that info no need to ask you for it.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    blutattoo:
    Yep I've got Verizon and they just text me an alert. I'd forward the phone number that called you to Verizon and let them know of the scam. They already have that info no need to ask you for it.

Good for you. If they don't know about it they can't go after them. I can't even guess how many times I have passed on "questionable" e-mails and phone calls to security people.
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Just called Verizon and asked."We would never ask for all that information on the phone because we already have it." So I gave them the phone number and have now done my good deed for the day.
  • jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
    Rain:
    Just called Verizon and asked."We would never ask for all that information on the phone because we already have it." So I gave them the phone number and have now done my good deed for the day.
    Happy New Year !! You did your deed for the day ! just in time too.