Home Non Cigar Related

Vital Documents

RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
So...my drivers license (DL) expired. It's issued by Virginia, I'm in Texas. Lost my birth certificate (BC) and social security card (SS). Or Maybe I have them and don't know, which counts as lost.Trying to get the BC. Need a valid DL and SS. Trying to get the DL. Need a valid BC. Trying to get an SS. Need to know all the information that is on the BC that I can't get. Also have to send a certified copy of a DL that is not expired. I can substitute this with my Military ID, but it has to be the original. They don't accept notarized copies.Random thoughts. I'm glad it's not TOO east to get these documents...even though I really doubt this stops crooks. My kids are not getting their SS and BC til they move out.

Comments

• onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, been there done that! at least you have the military ID that will get you through a couple of hoops!
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    This reminds me of when stores refuse to accept my wife's military id.I wish I was with her just once. I have no idea what the law is, and I'm usually ok with "Your place, your rules".However, this ID is from the Federal Government. You know, this little thing that your state answers to?That's like one time when I was on leave and went back to VA. Had just bought a car and was waiting on the insurance cards to show up. So of course I got in a fender bender. I get a ticket that says come to court on January 10th and show us your insurance and we'll drop the case. Well, my leave was up January 8th. When I'm not back, Uncle Sam starts a lookin. So...hate to tell you Virginia, but you're playing second fiddle.Yes, I did send my Dad on the 10th with my paperwork, though ;)
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shame your not still in VA, they hand out all that stuff on the street corners. And even if it is of dubious quality the DMV will probably still issue a DL.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    jd50ae:
    Shame your not still in VA, they hand out all that stuff on the street corners. And even if it is of dubious quality the DMV will probably still issue a DL.

Rainman, a few thoughts from a guy who has seen this before. Your service record should have a notarized copy of your birth certificate. If nothig else a Statement of Citizenship. I've been in since 97 and they atleast did it back then. Same with you SS card(photocopy). Since you lost all of this stuff together, call any of the 3 main credit bureaus and put a fraud alert on your credit report. People have had their identity stolen with way less. For a VA replacement your military id will work(pm me if you want more info, I have all the refrences pulled up ony phone) especially if you are applying for resident out of state one. Also if you have a blue OR a red passport, those are proof of citizenship. So it looks like use CAC card to get a DL and use that DL to get a SS replacement IF you can't f d a photocopy in your record. I've been working for years of just that photocopy, last time I showed my original was to enlist and get my red passport.
    Hell, didn't see that... Your license is not expired, send em a copy of your CAC and orders and they'll give you an auto extend.
    Jetmech_63:
    Hell, didn't see that... Your license is not expired, send em a copy of your CAC and orders and they'll give you an auto extend.
    Yeah, that's kind of what started all this. Figured since I plan to be in Texas even longer then the five years I've already been....might as well just get a Texas ID. I suppose I could get the VA extension then use that for a new TX one.
    Do t underestimate the power of the copy of your SS card in your service record:)
    Random Thought: Virginia Commonwealth blows omega donkey balls. When I was stationed there I had a fast car, did some dumb stuff, got nitrous and did some even dumber stuff :), long story short I got my license pulled for 6 months but went on deployment 2 weeks later(timed that FTW!), I got back and transferred without ever "paying" to get my license reinstated so if I ever get pulled over in VA again I'm in deep horse puckey. Good thing I'm never going back HA!
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Rain:
    So...my drivers license (DL) expired. It's issued by Virginia, I'm in Texas. Lost my birth certificate (BC) and social security card (SS). Or Maybe I have them and don't know, which counts as lost.Trying to get the BC. Need a valid DL and SS. Trying to get the DL. Need a valid BC. Trying to get an SS. Need to know all the information that is on the BC that I can't get. Also have to send a certified copy of a DL that is not expired. I can substitute this with my Military ID, but it has to be the original. They don't accept notarized copies.Random thoughts. I'm glad it's not TOO east to get these documents...even though I really doubt this stops crooks. My kids are not getting their SS and BC til they move out.
    It's kind of like a giant messed up game of rock, paper, scissors/roshambo.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • New_BootsNew_Boots Posts: 2,651 ✭✭
    When I was in Ohio during Thanksgiving, I renewed my DL. It "expired" in 2005. I just took it in, with a copy of my LES...done deal. I'd imagine your BMV is the same way.
    New Boots:
    When I was in Ohio during Thanksgiving, I renewed my DL. It "expired" in 2005. I just took it in, with a copy of my LES...done deal. I'd imagine your BMV is the same way.
    BMV?! I won't troll you since you're helping me. ;)Might as well try....what's the worst that can happen? 'sides....I'm a people person.
    ...or I could be a smart@$$ and send them my military drivers license.
  • jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    Rain:
    ...or I could be a smart@$$ and send them my military drivers license.
    Careful, they may have seen how soldiers drive...
  • New_BootsNew_Boots Posts: 2,651 ✭✭
    Rain:
    New Boots:
    BMV?! I won't troll you since you're helping me. ;)Might as well try....what's the worst that can happen? 'sides....I'm a people person.
    DMV? Shut up and go put your hoodie on for the next vherf....i hope it rains, Rain! lmao