Home Ratings & Reviews

Forum Blend

Sorry, I've been absent for some time.....

What is the final verdict on the last Forum Blend?
"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member"

Comments

• catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Everyone said it was horrid, then a new blend from AJ showed up minus a filler lol
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    Everyone said it was horrid, then a new blend from AJ showed up minus a filler lol
    LoL good summary. Although horrid might be too far. Forgettable is closer IMO.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • AVJimAVJim Posts: 449
    I haven't lit one up yet. Hoping a little aging makes them more "memorable". Anyone sample one recently? Any change?
    "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member"
    I had one with about a day and one at around 3-4 months (I'd check the thread but meh) and it didn't get much better. Never know though, smoke one if you got one.
  • TridentTrident Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭
    It wasn't Horrid. i smoked a few of them. Was it the best thing...no. Was it the worst...definately not. I think its part of the learning process. Smoke one and make your own opinion.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Ken Light:
    catfishbluezz:
    LoL good summary. Although horrid might be too far. Forgettable is closer IMO.
    I would agree more with Ken on the forum blend, It was not one I would beg to have re-released, but enjoyed it enough knowing we all had input in it's creation.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm, must have become available on my hiatus.
    Never knew they actually got them done.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
    PM me your addy. I have a few extra that andy hooked me up with for this reason.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trident:
    PM me your addy. I have a few extra that andy hooked me up with for this reason.
    PM sent.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Trident:
    It wasn't Horrid. i smoked a few of them. Was it the best thing...no. Was it the worst...definately not. I think its part of the learning process. Smoke one and make your own opinion.
    And we learned....that the forum as a whole is not a good blender.
    Rain:
    Trident:
    It wasn't Horrid. i smoked a few of them. Was it the best thing...no. Was it the worst...definitely not. I think its part of the learning process. Smoke one and make your own opinion.
    Well, to a degree, we are... What sucks is one tweak and the blend is now a new release. That tweak should've been done before they were produced. Obviously, we are not blenders, and had no ability to try it fresh and know it was a blend worth producing for us. I mean, if someone knew it sucked before they started rolling, why did they roll? Obviously, someone made a small tweak, and now a new product is out with a blend ridiculously similar. That's kind of insulting. I can think of plenty of awesome $4 sticks in my humi's. I still have my fiver sitting in there, waiting until I feel like trying it. I must say I was rather bummed. I may smoke one or gift them out to the guys around here, but for the most part, I will not look forward to the process if it happens again.
    Rain:
    Trident:
    I think blending by committee was a bad idea. When the committee was smaller and less diverse the last time around, it seems to have worked (I wasn't here, but I heard they're good).
    Ken Light:
    Rain:
    Trident:
    I think blending by committee was a bad idea. When the committee was smaller and less diverse the last time around, it seems to have worked (I wasn't here, but I heard they're good).
    Yeah, I offered no advice because I don't know **** about blending. But the flip side is, I don't think anyone here can blend a good cigar without ever tasting how it all goes together. That's like describing a shitake mushrooms grown on a north facing hill flavor. I think the forum tried, somewhat succeeded and good for them!
  • roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    So, what is the new release that they are being used as catfish?
    One God, One Truth
  • ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    roland_7707:
    Fallen Angel
  • roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    Whhhaaaatttt???? Now I need to get some of those.
    One God, One Truth
    ddubridge:
    roland_7707:
    Fallen Angel
    Has this actually been confirmed or is this just a rumor? If there is some evidence please PM me with it
    Trident:
    ddubridge:
    roland_7707:
    Fallen Angel
    Has this actually been confirmed or is this just a rumor? If there is some evidence please PM me with it
    It's somewhere in between, and I'll take all the blame for starting it. It has the same wrapper, same binder, and 3/4 of the fillers. As for the ratios of the fillers, we cannot know. Others chimed in that Fallen Angel is blended by AJ by way of CI. We'll probably never get the story here straight, it could be sheer coincidence.
    catfishbluezz:
    Rain:
    Trident:
    It wasn't Horrid. i smoked a few of them. Was it the best thing...no. Was it the worst...definitely not. I think its part of the learning process. Smoke one and make your own opinion.
    Well, to a degree, we are... What sucks is one tweak and the blend is now a new release. That tweak should've been done before they were produced. Obviously, we are not blenders, and had no ability to try it fresh and know it was a blend worth producing for us. I mean, if someone knew it sucked before they started rolling, why did they roll? Obviously, someone made a small tweak, and now a new product is out with a blend ridiculously similar. That's kind of insulting. I can think of plenty of awesome $4 sticks in my humi's. I still have my fiver sitting in there, waiting until I feel like trying it. I must say I was rather bummed. I may smoke one or gift them out to the guys around here, but for the most part, I will not look forward to the process if it happens again.
    Don't you think it is part of the process of blending? to actually try what you actually make? You learn by making some errors. If we just wanted a stick for the forum blended by AJ or whomever, we should just ask for it. I think the process was fun, and it was nice to try. I don't think it was insulting. And for all you know, someone actually loved the cigar. Just because it wasn't your flavor profile, doesn't make it terrible. and if you haven't tried one yet, how do you even have an opinion?

I look forward to the next attempt at this.
    Ken Light:
    Trident:
    ddubridge:
    roland_7707:
    Fallen Angel
    It's somewhere in between, and I'll take all the blame for starting it. It has the same wrapper, same binder, and 3/4 of the fillers. As for the ratios of the fillers, we cannot know. Others chimed in that Fallen Angel is blended by AJ by way of CI. We'll probably never get the story here straight, it could be sheer coincidence.
    I ask, only because I have heard other rumors from some credible sources, but i will let those lay and not bring them to light.
    ...somebody loved these? They can have mine :)It's dumb that we have yet to be able to go back and tweak the blend. I just look at it as something CCom did not have to do and did, so kudos for that part...I guess.I'd rather next time not have everyone vote on the construction. You have 30 people try to make a cake and it's going to taste like ****.
    Trident:
    catfishbluezz:
    Rain:
    Trident:
    Don't you think it is part of the process of blending? to actually try what you actually make? You learn by making some errors. If we just wanted a stick for the forum blended by AJ or whomever, we should just ask for it. I think the process was fun, and it was nice to try. I don't think it was insulting. And for all you know, someone actually loved the cigar. Just because it wasn't your flavor profile, doesn't make it terrible. and if you haven't tried one yet, how do you even have an opinion?

Tweaking was supposed to be part of the process, and it was the part I was most looking forward to, honestly. I was really hoping someone would be able to pinpoint, 'this part of it is off, which is we we taste this, and we can fix this by doing this or this' and it would've been a great learning experience.

I don't know why it's fallen off despite feedback on the stick and all. It's possibly meaningful that this Fallen Angel blend came out, but maybe that has absolutely nothing to do with it at all. If it is the reason for the shutdown on this project, I think that blows, because we didn't get to the goo part. If it's not, I don't give a darn about it, I just hope we can follow this though.
    Trident:
    Ken Light:
    Trident:
    ddubridge:
    roland_7707:
    Fallen Angel
    I ask, only because I have heard other rumors from some credible sources, but i will let those lay and not bring them to light.
    Well now I'd like a PM if you don't mind...I promise not to bring anything public from it.
    Nacho
    Trident:
    catfishbluezz:
    Rain:
    Trident:

So I need to smoke one to have an opinion when 100% of those who have said it was terrible? I mean really, the consumers answered, it was a waste of money. To me, there is no reason this should have made it back to us. If I could get my money back, I would. The whole point is to create something that we enjoy, not a piece of dog *** no one enjoys just to say we did. This is not part of the blending process... That;s throwing away money so someone can profit. The blending process is coming up with an idea, and tweaking it until it works. We didn't do that... Sorry, but CCom lost my trust in this one. Plenty of other forums have blended cigars that were palateable. We got burned. No reason someone in the testing process could not have said..., "hey guys, your blend tastes like ****. You should tweak this...ok?" I mean, most AJ blends sell for $2, so I am sure they made some $$$ of our ignorance. That's not cool. I wasted $20 woohoo!
    catfishbluezz:
    Trident:
    catfishbluezz:
    Rain:
    Trident:

So I need to smoke one to have an opinion when 100% of those who have said it was terrible? I mean really, the consumers answered, it was a waste of money. To me, there is no reason this should have made it back to us. If I could get my money back, I would. The whole point is to create something that we enjoy, not a piece of dog *** no one enjoys just to say we did. This is not part of the blending process... That;s throwing away money so someone can profit. The blending process is coming up with an idea, and tweaking it until it works. We didn't do that... Sorry, but CCom lost my trust in this one. Plenty of other forums have blended cigars that were palateable. We got burned. No reason someone in the testing process could not have said..., "hey guys, your blend tastes like ****. You should tweak this...ok?" I mean, most AJ blends sell for $2, so I am sure they made some $$$ of our ignorance. That's not cool. I wasted $20 woohoo!
    I'll buy them off you. Aparently I can palate dog *** without issue. I really didnt mind the blend. Just wishing it could have been tweeked a little.
    Drew, I cannot knowingly charge anyone for them. I'll just remember that next time you become a target. For what it's worth, I planned on reviewing it in the near future anyways. I was waiting for the 6+ month mark as I feel that is the ideal time to objectively judge a blend. In the meantime, the forum kind of answered the question for me.
    Alex Svenson:
    I was curious where the feedback would start poping up. Its funny because before AJ shipped these he told me he didn't thing the blend was up to snuff. I spent hours explaining it was okay to ship because these are a first round and part of the process. The project by nature is tough because you have all cheifs and no indians LOL. That said, the idea is to get the fundamentals down and start with something and change from there. It can be as simple as priming and proportion changes and range all the way to complete changes in composition but you dont know until you get started. I love these projects because while it is exciting to be part of the process, it really also shows how much of an art the process is. Every time I see negative comments about someones blend, I think about this type of stuff and think people dont realize what goes into making a premium cigar and the years it takes to develop a blend let alone the decades it takes to understand how things work together conceptionaly. I have been watching a lot of this show "Chopped" on the food network and have fallen in love with it. In fact I have thought about taking the same concept and try to apply it to young, aspiring blenders instad of aspiring chefs and post it on you tube. I realize I am deviating so back to topic, this is simply phase one of what may be a longer process and that is okay. Lets collect some feedback and come up with some revisions. It may take a long time to get things the way they want them and that "is okay" because that is the way most blenders operate and I think it adds to the experience. The idea is to create an excellent cigar and it wont happen overnight. As we get further along we will start to involve the expertise of some folks like AJ, Nestor Plasencia, and other notable blenders who have made this their lifes work to help us in the process. So lets hear the feedback!!!
    So when is the second round? To think my hero thought these were not up to snuff....ugh!
    Rain:
    Alex Svenson:
    I was curious where the feedback would start poping up. Its funny because before AJ shipped these he told me he didn't thing the blend was up to snuff. I spent hours explaining it was okay to ship because these are a first round and part of the process. The project by nature is tough because you have all cheifs and no indians LOL. That said, the idea is to get the fundamentals down and start with something and change from there. It can be as simple as priming and proportion changes and range all the way to complete changes in composition but you dont know until you get started. I love these projects because while it is exciting to be part of the process, it really also shows how much of an art the process is. Every time I see negative comments about someones blend, I think about this type of stuff and think people dont realize what goes into making a premium cigar and the years it takes to develop a blend let alone the decades it takes to understand how things work together conceptionaly. I have been watching a lot of this show "Chopped" on the food network and have fallen in love with it. In fact I have thought about taking the same concept and try to apply it to young, aspiring blenders instad of aspiring chefs and post it on you tube. I realize I am deviating so back to topic, this is simply phase one of what may be a longer process and that is okay. Lets collect some feedback and come up with some revisions. It may take a long time to get things the way they want them and that "is okay" because that is the way most blenders operate and I think it adds to the experience. The idea is to create an excellent cigar and it wont happen overnight. As we get further along we will start to involve the expertise of some folks like AJ, Nestor Plasencia, and other notable blenders who have made this their lifes work to help us in the process. So lets hear the feedback!!!
    So when is the second round? To think my hero thought these were not up to snuff....ugh!
    I'll buy yours too.
    I've sent all mine to people who did not buy them.So does that mean that like, each year is going to be a small improvement on this on years blend choice?