Home Non Cigar Related

Cocktails and Mixed Drinks

Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
My wife just got me a few bar tools and stuff for Christmas, and I am trying out a few drinks. Just got some vermouth (sweet and dry) tanqueray gin, and bulletin rye, (also have a few other bourbons, vodka, and white rum).

Any of you guys have a favorite drink you like to mix? I tried a martini, and it is...different. Gin may be an acquired taste. I love bourbon and whiskey though. Just made a manhattan that isn't bad (bulleit rye, dolin sweet vermouth, wood ford reserve cherry bitters).
LLA - Lancero Lovers of America

Comments

• MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    My wife just mixed me a chocolate milk...does that count?
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Martel:
    My wife just mixed me a chocolate milk...does that count?
    Only if there's also bourbon in it
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    My wife just got me a few bar tools and stuff for Christmas, and I am trying out a few drinks. Just got some vermouth (sweet and dry) tanqueray gin, and bulletin rye, (also have a few other bourbons, vodka, and white rum).

Any of you guys have a favorite drink you like to mix? I tried a martini, and it is...different. Gin may be an acquired taste. I love bourbon and whiskey though. Just made a manhattan that isn't bad (bulleit rye, dolin sweet vermouth, wood ford reserve cherry bitters).

Sapphire Gin, a touch of vermouth/olive juice and 5 olives.

Good Vodka, a touch of hot sauce and a cheese stuffed olive/pepper stuffed olive.
  • blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    I'm simple with my martini's but I like them dry and dirty. No Gin for me. Ketel One or Three Olives vodka, with a splash of olive juice and three/four/five olives. Zero Vermouth.
  • jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    blutattoo:
    I'm simple with my martini's but I like them dry and dirty. No Gin for me. Ketel One or Three Olives vodka, with a splash of olive juice and three/four/five olives. Zero Vermouth.
    If it ain't got gin, it ain't a martini. What you got there is a 'Kangaroo Cocktail'. Though I do lean to the Churchill method for making martini's, with ice cold gin and a bow in the direction of France.

Edit: Since Gray wants a bourbon cocktail, and I got gin on the brain.

The Suffering ***

1 oz bourbon
    1 oz gin
    1 oz fresh lime juice
    1 dash Angostura bitters
    4 oz your choice Ginger Ale or Ginger Beer. (I prefer the beer, but the ale will make it sweeter)

Pour ingredients into a chilled rocks glass. Add ice, stir twice. Garnish with a mint sprig. Drink away sorrows.
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Here ya go, http://www.goodcocktails.com/recipes/mixed_drink_recipes.php,
    Love Long Islands, Try the oatmeal cookie, I'm partial to vodka martini's, cocktails, Screwdrivers, Fuzzy navel, Wallbangers, Vodka and Sprite. Kamikaze's, Mudslides are a good dessert.
  • New_BootsNew_Boots Posts: 2,651 ✭✭
    Just drink the Burbon
    Thanks guys.

Jim I will have to try that one, I love bourbon and ginger ale. I do need some more gin drinks too; I will fool around with a few martini variations and see what works for me.

bourbon over an ice cube is my go to cigar pairing!
    New Boots:
    Just drink the Burbon
    I agree. Good Bourbon is to be sipped and savored. fwiw Rusty Nail is a decent scotch drink. I don't care for bitters, probably why I don't like Campari. I think Vodka and Rum make the best mixers. Id like to try some really good dark rums, I lean towards lighter rums.
    Speakin of Campari..............
  • macs-smokesmacs-smokes Posts: 587
    Bourbon and ice... that's all the mixing needed.
  • LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    I am pretty simple when it comes to drinks... Screwdrivers, peppermint patties, Seven Tiki Fijian Rum and coke or Dr. Pepper and most anything with vodka. But seasonal is a simple Baileys and egg nog. :) Ive made Tic Tacs before... but im a quick and easy drinker.

For my wife i make Grasshoppers. Basic drink with creme de minth and creme de cocoa. she loves them but its pretty much chocolatey tooth paste to me. lol
    Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.
  • EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LiquidChaos66:
    I am pretty simple when it comes to drinks... Screwdrivers, peppermint patties, Seven Tiki Fijian Rum and coke or Dr. Pepper and most anything with vodka. But seasonal is a simple Baileys and egg nog. :) Ive made Tic Tacs before... but im a quick and easy drinker.

For my wife i make Grasshoppers. Basic drink with creme de minth and creme de cocoa. she loves them but its pretty much chocolatey tooth paste to me. lol
    Next time I'm in Portland I'm taking you to Teardrop Lounge and introduce you to a little complexity to your cocktail world. Then we will head somewhere we can smoke....
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    jthanatos:
    blutattoo:
    If it ain't got gin, it ain't a martini. What you got there is a 'Kangaroo Cocktail'. Though I do lean to the Churchill method for making martini's, with ice cold gin and a bow in the direction of France.

The Suffering ***

1 oz bourbon
    1 oz gin
    1 oz fresh lime juice
    1 dash Angostura bitters
    4 oz your choice Ginger Ale or Ginger Beer. (I prefer the beer, but the ale will make it sweeter)

Pour ingredients into a chilled rocks glass. Add ice, stir twice. Garnish with a mint sprig. Drink away sorrows.
    Tradition aside, Vodka martinis are much more popular since Vodka is now readily available. Gin martinis have been around since the late 1800's and surged in popularity during prohibition when Gin could be made in bathtubs and such. Plus don't you wanna be this cool?
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    I'm a total snob about booze and when it comes to Gin, I feel different brands have different profiles and work well for different applications. That being said, I've found Hendrick's to be the most versatile Gin I've mixed with. Tanqueray works well with tonic and lime while Sapphire works well dry. Just my opinion.

With Tanqueray working well in citrus driven applications, try a Negroni. 1 Part Gin, 1 Part Sweet Vermouth and 1 part Campari. Garnish with a lemon or orange twist.

If you want to get all crazy, here's one of my originals (you may need some ingredients):

Pink Silk
    1 egg white
    1oz Gin
    1/2oz Lemon Juice
    1/2oz Simple Syrup
    1/2oz Pastis
    1/2oz Peychaud's Bitters

Dry Shake or use a hand held cocktail blender to emulsify the egg white with the other ingredients, add ice, shake and strain.

Side note: when shaking/stirring your cocktails, use fresh, clean ice and shake or stir to wake the booze up. Don't put it to sleep. None of this halfassed two shakes. Shake until a good frost builds up on the outside of the shaker and it starts to hurt your hands.

Cheers!
    blutattoo:
    jthanatos:
    blutattoo:

The Suffering ***

1 oz bourbon
    1 oz gin
    1 oz fresh lime juice
    1 dash Angostura bitters

Tradition aside, Vodka martinis are much more popular since Vodka is now readily available. Gin martinis have been around since the late 1800's and surged in popularity during prohibition when Gin could be made in bathtubs and such.
    Oh, don't get me wrong. I much prefer vodka as a base liquor, I was just being a pedantic and sarcastic @ss in that there is technically no such thing as a vodka martini. Sorry about that. Also, while I will never be as cool as Bond... James Bond, I wouldn't want to order my cocktail shaken for the reasons he needed to. He was getting crappy potato vodka (not that all potato vodkas are crappy) and was using the shaking process to pull off the poor tasting oil.
    How could I forget??? Whiskey Sour is a great bourbon drink. Been a long time since I had one,, next time I order up a cocktail, it will be one of these.
    Rob, thanks for the shaking tips... and I have noticed the tanqueray does well with limes. Lime, soda and tanqueray was pretty good. Just tried a dirty martini with it...gross....
  • LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    Echambers:
    LiquidChaos66:

Next time I'm in Portland I'm taking you to Teardrop Lounge and introduce you to a little complexity to your cocktail world. Then we will head somewhere we can smoke....
    . That's sounds more than doable. :)
    Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.
    Gray4lines:
    Rob, thanks for the shaking tips... and I have noticed the tanqueray does well with limes. Lime, soda and tanqueray was pretty good. Just tried a dirty martini with it...gross....
    Very few Gins will work dirty. Hendricks is the only one that I can tolerate that way. Beefeater is ok. I'm a Vodka guy for dirty martinis. Belvedere, Chopin, Russian Standard or Tito's.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    jthanatos:
    blutattoo:

The Suffering ***

1 oz bourbon
    1 oz gin
    1 oz fresh lime juice
    1 dash Angostura bitters

Props dude, drinking on of these now... damn tasty
    Almost New Years, and people are going to be busting out the Champagne and bubbly. Now, good Champagne is fine and dandy and makes for a merry time for all. However, the cheap stuff isn't of much use but for mixing. If you find a standard Champagne Cocktail just too sweet and the sun hasn't risen yet for your Mimosa, please consider the simple evening treat that is

The Black Velvet:

Fill your flute or glass halfway with a good chocolate stout (Guiness is traditional) and fill remainder down the side with a classic brut. Ensure that the liquids mix, not layer and ring in the new year.
    I will be busting out the rye soon... Got some bulleit and knob creek rye!
    Gray4lines:
    Busting out the rye? Well since you have already tried and liked a Manhattan, it is time to branch out into:

The Sazerac

Ingredients:

2oz rye whiskey
    1 tsp sugar
    2-4 dashes of bitters (Peychaud's is traditional, though lemon bitters are pretty tasty too)
    Water
    1/2 oz Absinthe
    Twist of Lemon

Directions:

Chill a rocks glass. In a mixing glass, combine sugar, bitters, and a few drops of water to make a simple syrup. Add Rye and fill with ice. Stir until well chilled. Take rocks glass and add Absinthe, rinsing the glass with the alcohol until it is well coated. Discard excess Absinthe (if making for yourself, your belly is a good place for this). Strain rye mixture into your glass. Wipe rim with lemon twist and garnish. Enjoy.
    The Sazerac is my favorite classic cocktail but I'm not a fan of the Rye version. I'm a traditionalist and stick with the original pour of Cognac. Actually, this is arguably the first cocktail invented/published in America. An old NOLA classic.

2oz Cognac
    3/4oz simple syrup
    2-3 dashes Peychaud's Bitters
    Rinse or Mist of Absinthe, Pastis or Herbsaint
    Lemon Peel

You can buy small spray bottles and keep your Absinthe in there. This allows you to simply spray the glass to coat it without wasting your Absinthe. I also keep one filled with cheap Islay Scotch for another original recipe of mine.
    Rob1110:
    The Sazerac is my favorite classic cocktail but I'm not a fan of the Rye version. I'm a traditionalist and stick with the original pour of Cognac. Actually, this is arguably the first cocktail invented/published in America. An old NOLA classic.

2oz Cognac
    3/4oz simple syrup
    2-3 dashes Peychaud's Bitters
    Rinse or Mist of Absinthe, Pastis or Herbsaint
    Lemon Peel

You can buy small spray bottles and keep your Absinthe in there. This allows you to simply spray the glass to coat it without wasting your Absinthe. I also keep one filled with cheap Islay Scotch for another original recipe of mine.
    Rye tastes better. :P
  • Gray4lines:
    I see you're in KY! Go Cats!
    If you're ever up in Cincinnati stop through Obscura downtown and let me mix you a few cocktails. Til then, here's my one of my favorite gin concoctions:

The Trademark

1.5 oz Nolets gin
    .5 oz St. Germain
    .5 oz Cointreau
    1.5 oz fresh lemon juice
    dash Angostura bitters
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Cigarmadillo:
    Gray4lines:
    If you're ever up in Cincinnati stop through Obscura downtown and let me mix you a few cocktails. Til then, here's my one of my favorite gin concoctions:

The Trademark

1.5 oz Nolets gin
    .5 oz St. Germain
    .5 oz Cointreau
    1.5 oz fresh lemon juice
    dash Angostura bitters
    Am I the only person that likes saying the word 'Cointreau'? Lol
    I will have to look for some absinthe, never tried it before!

Cigarmadillo:
    Gray4lines:

The Trademark

1.5 oz Nolets gin
    .5 oz St. Germain
    .5 oz Cointreau
    1.5 oz fresh lemon juice
    dash Angostura bitters
    Yes, going to grad school at UK. Really enjoy KY! Thanks, I will try the drink. Will keep that in mind if I'm ever up there.
  • deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

Of course I couldn’t have been involved with this project