Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Quick Review: Gurkha Turk

Original Post Here

The last mild bodied Gurkha I smoked was the Symphony and I was thoroughly disappointed. The Turk offers some of the same mild bodied notes so I was hoping this stick would redeem the Symphony. The double-band circled a smooth and well-rolled Toro-shaped stick. The pre-light odor was of hay and the draw was very good.

Lighting the Turk produced a thick cloud of smoke and a hint of sweetness of the first draw. Unfortunately, the sweet taste did not remain as it turned to the pre-light smell of hay and nuttiness. This stick lacked any complexity, which was a great disappointment considering the filler is a mixture of Dominican, Nicaraguan, and Turkish tobaccos. The mixture, if anything, seemed to drown out the potential of any one tobacco’s flavor.

The smoke remained thick and the ash held well throughout the stick but the lack of taste caused this to be a difficult stick to enjoy. This was a purely mild smoke yet a bitter bite remained in the back of my throat from the first third forward.

At $9 a stick, I would have been angered were this not gifted; this may well be my last mild Gurkha. I have a few medium-full Gurkha’s that will hopefully redeem their mild offerings.

Single Worthy: NO
Box Worthy: NO
Grade: C-

Comments

• Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    I didn't like it either..
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    matthewjmichael:
    Original Post Here

The last mild bodied Gurkha I smoked was the Symphony and I was thoroughly disappointed. The Turk offers some of the same mild bodied notes so I was hoping this stick would redeem the Symphony. The double-band circled a smooth and well-rolled Toro-shaped stick. The pre-light odor was of hay and the draw was very good.

Lighting the Turk produced a thick cloud of smoke and a hint of sweetness of the first draw. Unfortunately, the sweet taste did not remain as it turned to the pre-light smell of hay and nuttiness. This stick lacked any complexity, which was a great disappointment considering the filler is a mixture of Dominican, Nicaraguan, and Turkish tobaccos. The mixture, if anything, seemed to drown out the potential of any one tobacco’s flavor.

The smoke remained thick and the ash held well throughout the stick but the lack of taste caused this to be a difficult stick to enjoy. This was a purely mild smoke yet a bitter bite remained in the back of my throat from the first third forward.

At $9 a stick, I would have been angered were this not gifted; this may well be my last mild Gurkha. I have a few medium-full Gurkha’s that will hopefully redeem their mild offerings.

Single Worthy: NO
    Box Worthy: NO
    Grade: C-

I have had the Turk many times and for a mild stick ( which I don't do that much of anymore) I found them to be a pretty decent stick.
    Just a couple of things came to mind while reading your review. You mention that "at $9 a stick I would have been angered... I don't know where your friend found his Gurkha's but these sticks are $19.95 for 6 Turks at C.COM, that's like $3.33 a stick.
    You should give these another try as they are tasty, but admittedly mild, and are actually quite a value.
    Another mild / med. of Gurkha that you may enjoy would be the 44 Park Avenue, and these may indeed redeem mild Gurkha's in your eye's. These are also inexpensive at $3.00 a stick when you order a box. Give 'em a try ;)