Home Ratings & Reviews

Ideal Humidor

Hey everyone, new to this forum and fairly new to the cigar world. It's been a hobby I've been wanting to get into and finally have started. I have a traveling case for my cigars as I'm just building my collection. One thing I do know is that I need a humidor that is right for me. Wanted to get your thoughts on your first humidor. Do you still have it? How expensive was it? What were determining factors in choosing your humidor? Where did you get it from? Thanks for the help, I look forward to getting to know you all better and establishing a bond in the cigar world.

Comments

• RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    I do still have mine, 300ct Treasure Dome.I knew anything smaller would be a waste since the forum promptly filled my humi with premiprems.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    If you want a 50ct, buy a 150ct. If you want 150ct, buy a 300ct. You can find plenty of great deals on this site and others for under $100 bro. Check the Sprint Sale and get an idea of what some of the larger humidors go for. That would be my recommendation, especially since the service here is top notch.
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    My first was a free 20 ct. My second was a medium Southport, maybe 100 or 150 or something. The first I think I tossed, it didn't seal well. The second I gifted. I now have a small cabinet with all the storage I'll ever need (or at least all I've needed for years now).

I think starting at 20-50 is too small. But you can definitely start 150-300 and be fine for quite a while. Just keep in mind that a large source of humidification for your cigars is your cigars. So you don't want a 200 ct with 5-10 sticks in it, it'll be hard to keep the humidity up. That said...stick around...make friends...humidors tend to fill up magically around here.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    The one I have is the old world looking map one that c.com sells. I love it. Its the right size for me and iv never had a problem with it. I recommend it if your not looking to have anything over 100 sticks or so.
    One God, One Truth
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JMartinez10:
    Hey everyone, new to this forum and fairly new to the cigar world. It's been a hobby I've been wanting to get into and finally have started. I have a traveling case for my cigars as I'm just building my collection. One thing I do know is that I need a humidor that is right for me. Wanted to get your thoughts on your first humidor. Do you still have it? How expensive was it? What were determining factors in choosing your humidor? Where did you get it from? Thanks for the help, I look forward to getting to know you all better and establishing a bond in the cigar world.
    I still have my first desktop humi that I got.
    Then I got in the habit of buying the humi combo sales that different sites had and giving away humis.
    I'm finally down to 3 small humis I use occasionally and my tower humi.
    Well, until the next humi combo sale comes out. LOL!

A lot of sites come out with 8-10 cigars and a humi for a ridiculous low price and I have a hard time resisting that.

Check your PM
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    0patience:
    JMartinez10:
    I still have my first desktop humi that I got.
    Then I got in the habit of buying the humi combo sales that different sites had and giving away humis.
    I'm finally down to 3 small humis I use occasionally and my tower humi.
    Well, until the next humi combo sale comes out. LOL!

A lot of sites come out with 8-10 cigars and a humi for a ridiculous low price and I have a hard time resisting that.

Check your PM
    I have three humidors plus a coolidor:

the 25 ct. that was my first now houses a few infused cigars I mean to get around to trying.
    My 50ct., the second, now houses my few ISOMs and a couple other special ones I am resting/aging.
    My 300 ct is kind of my primary to keep the smokes I'll get too sooner and share with the Coolidor being overflow/boxes.
  • Thanks fellas for the tips. Really helps me sort out what I really want. I'll definitely let you know what I decided to get.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rain:
    I do still have mine, 300ct Treasure Dome.I knew anything smaller would be a waste since the forum promptly filled my humi with premiprems.

Of course the rest of us stated small and kept buying larger. But large now....don't even think about, just do it.
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    jd50ae:
    Rain:

Of course the rest of us stated small and kept buying larger. But large now....don't even think about, just do it.
    I hate to do this because I feel like I'm going to contradict you one time too many at some point and it's not intentional at all, but while this is the popular opinion around here, I don't agree. Like I said previously, I think 20-50 is probably too small, especially since they tend to hold considerably less than advertised, but if you go too big too quick the problem is you have to fill it. While that itself isn't terrible and you get (too much) help here most of the time, the problem is what you're going to smoke it with: what you like while you're starting out. I think most people diverge from that fairly quickly. I'd have like 500 rocky patels if I got a huge humidor right up front and I'd have never smoked myself out from under them. I really think some progression is necessary.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
    Ken Light:
    jd50ae:
    Rain:

I hate to do this because I feel like I'm going to contradict you one time too many at some point and it's not intentional at all, but while this is the popular opinion around here, I don't agree. Like I said previously, I think 20-50 is probably too small, especially since they tend to hold considerably less than advertised, but if you go too big too quick the problem is you have to fill it. While that itself isn't terrible and you get (too much) help here most of the time, the problem is what you're going to smoke it with: what you like while you're starting out. I think most people diverge from that fairly quickly. I'd have like 500 rocky patels if I got a huge humidor right up front and I'd have never smoked myself out from under them. I really think some progression is necessary.
    I'm gonna have to agree with Ken on a few points. Which if asked later, I will deny it. LOL!
    But the points on going too big too quick and ending up with stuff that your tastes will change are right on.
    Which is why buying tons of certain cigars isn't a good idea when first starting out.
    It will take a while before you get into a certain cycle of what you like. Even then, be careful, cause you can still run into a slump where even your favorites may fall into a category where you get bored with them.

No question that I have a bunch of my "stand by" cigars, but I also keep a large variety of cigars.

And then there are the ones where you buy a bundle and smoke half over time, then the other half of the bundle may find itself buried in the bottom of the humi for a year or so. And when you go back, you decide that it's just taking up space.

Personally, I think that the 50-100 ct humis are the best for starting out.
    They hold a fair amount of cigars. If it gets full, you can go to a tupperdor or coolerdor for a time.
    Then a while down the road, you can decide if you want to make a large investment.

I had been smoking cigars for over 10 years before I bought my tower and to be honest, I only bought the tower, cause I got a killer deal. Otherwise, I'd probably still be in coolerdors and desktop humis.

Wow, I really ramble on, didn't I?
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    Oh WTH? How did I double post?
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    Also keep in consideration that most humidors are built to hold approximately 75% of what their max capacity is. A 100ct will comfortably hold 75 smokes, depending on size. If you cram 100 sticks in a 100ct humi then you must really like coronas.
    I agree with several of the BOTL who have posted here. A 50-100 or 100-150 is a good starting point. My first 40ct was overflowing within weeks of joining the forum. A humi that size will give you plenty of room until you truly decide which blends/brands/vitola that you enjoy. Currently, I have a 100ct Savoy for aging and a cooler for everything else.
    Something else to remember is the method you choose for humidification is going to take up some of the space in your humidor. Bags for beads will take up more space than gel jars which in turn take up more space than Boveda packs or water pillows. When you find a humi you like, please don't use the foam humidifier that comes with it but that's a whole different thread.
    Best of luck in picking out a humidor that suits your needs.
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JMartinez10:
    Wanted to get your thoughts on your first humidor. Do you still have it?
    Yes I still have it!!! It's my most treasured cigar-related item.
    It was advertised as a "100 count" - black finish, glass top, initials engraved .... (it holds probably closer to 75-80 though, depending on RG)
    It was a birthday gift from my wife (girlfriend at the time) - I'll have had it 4 years, this month.
    JMartinez10:
    How expensive was it?
    I think it was in the $75 range but honestly I don't remember. I do know it was under $100 dollars though - including shipping, humidifier, hygrometer, and engraving.

JMartinez10:
    What were determining factors in choosing your humidor?
    Size
    I planned on ordering about 40 cigars to start with and thought that a "100-count" would be more than enough. It was plenty of room as I got into the hobby and worked my way through samplers and singles to get an idea of what I liked and disliked. But after I had that (mostly) figured out and I started doing box purchases, I upgraded and needed more space.
    Also, as I became more active here and got into more trades/bombs/passes, I needed more space for that too. I now have the OG glass top above, a small 50-count for infused, and a large wood-coolidor. Look
    I liked the glass top because I could look at my cigars without having to open the lid.
    Price
    Didn't want to spend all my $$ on a humi and not have anything left for cigars! And since this was a gift, it ended up being even better because then I had that extra $$ for cigars! Nice!
    JMartinez10:
    Where did you get it from?
    A competitor's website that was recommended to me by a friend.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Darktower007Darktower007 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    The seal is what makes the humidor. My buddy has a diamond crown and you almost have to push it shut. It holds a perfect 71 percent for weeks. Mine works okay I just have to keep close tabs on it. Again the seal is most importante.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i still have my first humidor but i dont use it. im trying to sell it actually. you can find it in thiis thread: CLICK it is the first one listed as the second one is already sold.

it was too small for me but it is a nice little desktop.

i htink i paid about $25 or so for it not including humidification or hygrometer.