Home Cigar 101

Hygrometer Question

YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
I've looked, but I can't seem to find an answer to this.

When you are calibrating a hygrometer, can you calibrate two in the same bag? It seem that the salt makes the air in the bag 75% RH, so the nubmer of hygrometers shouldn't make a difference.

Does anyone have any experience doing this?

Comments

• Renaissance_ManRenaissance_Man Posts: 973 ✭✭
    It shouldnt make a difference... This way youll also immediately see if there are any differences between the two - go ahead...
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Renaissance_Man:
    It shouldnt make a difference... This way youll also immediately see if there are any differences between the two - go ahead...
    Yup, I always recalibrate mine together, about every 3 months.
    Like Rennie say's, that way you can see the differences (if any) between the Hygro's.
    I would caution however, I leave them in there overnight and check them in the morning. I found that one or two will take longer to calibrate then the others , but after a good amount of time has passed they will eventually all calibrate. I did 4 together last month.
  • JdoraisJdorais Posts: 652
    I calibrate 2 at a time (as I only have 2 hydrometers) and after 8 hours one is right on the money the other not too close, but after a full 24 then both are darn near exact.
  • Renaissance_ManRenaissance_Man Posts: 973 ✭✭
    laker1963:
    Renaissance_Man:
    Like Rennie say's, that way you can see the differences (if any) between the Hygro's.
    I would caution however, I leave them in there overnight and check them in the morning. I found that one or two will take longer to calibrate then the others , but after a good amount of time has passed they will eventually all calibrate. I did 4 together last month.
    True that! Leave them for a bit longer. I myself tried calibrating a digital one and a regular one at the same time and needed a bit more to get to a conclusive decision/reading... :)
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks guys, will do.
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    laker1963:
    Renaissance_Man:
    Do you do them in a sealable plastic bag, or in a plastic container like Tupperware? I think I remember reading that if you use Tupperware, you're not supposed to fully seal it and leave one corner unsealed, right?
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Luko:
    laker1963:
    Renaissance_Man:
    Do you do them in a sealable plastic bag, or in a plastic container like Tupperware? I think I remember reading that if you use Tupperware, you're not supposed to fully seal it and leave one corner unsealed, right?
    Yes I use a TupperWare type container and no I leave it sealed. I don't think leaving the corner lifted or unsealed would allow the RH to stabilize as air could constantly be exchanging with outside air.
    Thanks Luko... now I have to go and check my proceedures to ensure I'm not F*cking things up. But I think I'm right ;)
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Mine are always sealed and do just fine ...
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Seal 'em!