Home Cigar 101

Lighting the cigar

ZAPZAP Posts: 186 ✭✭
How much can the lighting of the cigar affect the taste.

I've read you should toast it to get it started and I usually do that.

Today I was struggling with a bad lighter and a little wind and ended up flaming the cigar to start it...I had the same cigar last week and it seemed much better the first time.

Does this add "tar" etc when you actually light it on fire?

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Well, you can scorch the tobacco if you're not careful, this will lead to some bitter/nasty tastes.
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Well personally, I've noticed that when I succeed in lighting my cigar without lighting it on fire (something I'm getting better at lol), I get a much smoother taste and burn. Otherwise (when I do light it on fire) I get a bit of a charcoal taste going on, and that's not exactly yummy.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • The more heat and fire the cigar's foot is exposed to on the light, the hotter and more bitter it is going to burn at first, yet this bitterness will not last more than maybe a half inch or so down the stick. Personally, whenever I light a cigar, I always blow out of it to get rid of some of the heat and charred tobacco and I think that helps.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I would have to agree with T, when I light my cigar, no matter what, I always let my stick "settle down". This helps it cool off and get rid of any bitterness left from lighting it.

"Long ashes my friends."