Home Ratings & Reviews

The Law Has Limits

webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
When Winter hits, I invoke the Mortgage Law. The ML reads like this: "I pay the mortgage, It's cold outside, I am gonna smoke in the house, get used to it."

Even the law has its limits. I make sure there's a good fire drawing in the rumpus room, to suck the smoke out. I make sure to use a big ashtray and knock the ash frequently. I make sure dinner is done and drinks have begun. Not trying to be an ass; just trying to draw the line. I am not going to stand in the back yard in six degrees to fire up my nightly indulgence.

So. We come to last night, when the law discovered another limit. A BOTL sent me an Aging Room Quattro F55, the little box press shorty corona size. Fire going, dinner over, cider in hand, sparked it up, the ML is a beautiful thing. Gold dang fabulous smoke! Chock full of flavor right off the bat. Ungodly volume of smoke for such a tiny stick. Draws like a breeze. But here's the thing: daggone smoke hung in a thick thick thick cloud all round my head and refused to go up the chimbley. Hanging all round the floor lamp. Filling up the room. I'm waiting for the smoke alarm to go off in the hall. I mean thick, greasy, choking and persistent. Even the pup climbed off my lap. I can't tell you how much I regretted tossing Quattro in the fire after a mere half hour.

Today I have on order from cigar.com the stick which last week made Bearswatter remark: "That's not as awful as most of them you smoke in here," Jesus Fuego Origen. A decent indoor smoke. Not my fave; but plenty good enough for now, certainly well enough behaved indoors to invoke the ML.

Question: For you with ML experience, which sublime sotweed cylinders can you nominate as best house trained smokes?

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Comments

• Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I've notice that Fuentes don't linger around as much as some but probably one of the best smelling smokes I've had was the Goldie #5
    Money can't buy taste
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    That's a funny story, not too dissimilar from my own. The very first cigar I ever smoked indoors with the consent of the 'boss' was my first Undercrown. Boy, what a bad choice that was! Holy smoke cloud, Batman!

I've arranged things now so that the smoke shoots outdoors through my fan quickly and I can, more or less, smoke just about anything. It does take warm indoor air out with the smoke so I choose not to smoke large vitolas just out of economics of heating the house.

If you enjoy (somewhat) the Origen you should try the Sangre del Toro, in my opinion worlds tastier and the same price.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Funny story. But for me this brings up a fundamental question I've wondered about. Why do some sticks produce soooo much smoke than others? Is it the oils present? That would be my first guess. (Don't answer that. I'll go post this question in Cigars 101 so as not to thread jack.)
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you can get away with a lot of connecticut's. I like AVO classics and XO's...not grassy smelling at all, more of a rounded out, toasty aroma.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    I think you can get away with a lot of connecticut's. I like AVO classics and XO's...not grassy smelling at all, more of a rounded out, toasty aroma.
    Yep, I agree with Gray.
    My wife seems to enjoy the smell of CT's more than other smokes --- unless you go with something infused (I'm assuming you don't want any of those.)

So if you're looking for CTs, I'll second Gray's advice about the AVOs .... or a good cheap-o is the House Blend Purple Label or Cusano 18

And Davis - you're a fan of the Ave Maria's, right?
    Have you seen the new CT wrapped "Immaculata" - http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?brand=1705
    A little too pricy for me, but might be worth a try.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That Immaculata sounds like an excellent idea. Thanks for the tip. Just the kind of idea I am looking for.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    webmost:
    That Immaculata sounds like an excellent idea. Thanks for the tip. Just the kind of idea I am looking for.

I would love to see a review from you on this one, if you get the opportunity.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• PAtoNHPAtoNH Posts: 429
    During the brutal part of the recent cold snap I smoked indoors for a couple days… truth is, I HATE the smell of stale smoke the next day. I kept the fireplace ablaze and aired it out when the temps came back up and all is back to normal. No harm, no foul but I still prefer smoking outside.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I only have a gas fireplace so don't think that'll work.... I use to smoke in my computer room in the rental however the room did eventually smell like smoke. I always had the window open, and I smoked right next to it but it didn't matter. I plan on getting an extension done with a filter and fan but until then I'm not wanting my house getting that smell. Sometimes though I really want to light up inside.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Our hearth is in the TV room. This room has wide doorways which we close off with curtains during Winter to keep the heat inside. Makes it toasty. Those curtains also prevent cigar smoke from spreading throughout the house. If I I smoke in there while keeping the redhead company, I guarantee you that by the next morning even girl noses can't detect cigar. Course, my speckled Bearswatter will burn a candle in there from time to time. But really it just goes up the flue. No idea what you guys are doing wrong. It should not stink next day.

On the other hand, I have a plastic adirondack chair in the garage, a blanket, an electric heater, a bottle of rum, another of tequila, a slim jim dispenser on the wall, corn nuts in a canister, a case of beer, and of course Dan Reyes' stogie stand on the chair arm. The chair faces an old 30" CRT toob where I watch cage fighting. Used to always just perch on a motorcycle, even have a cigar rack attached to the KLR clutch side brush guard, but I guess I'm going posh this Winter, using a chair and all. But I guarantee you, it will stink for three days if I smoke in there. Not the TV room.

Great games on the 54" screen tomorrow. I'll be smoking in the TV room.

This coming summer, I hope to finish up the porch as another man cave. All sliding windows on two side. Have to see how that stinks up.

Anyway. Persistink is avoidable.