Home Pipes

Tobacco Smell Help--please

christian1971christian1971 Posts: 467 ✭✭✭
Im a cigar smoker who had dabbled with pipe tobacco here and there. This may sound odd, but Id like to buy some tins simply to smell the tobacco. I had some samuel gawith fvf and loved the unsmoked tobacco scent. I know some smell smokey, some like ketchup. Can you recommend some premium pipe tobacco that you would recommend, purely based on the scent before its smoked. Id like to store it in jars for smelling and storing for later years perhaps. Before govt takes it away. I love berry cobler, whoever makes that.

Comments

• Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you looking for aromatics or natural tobacco? I think Boswell's makes a berry cobbler, but I bet a lot of companies produce similar stuff as we'll. I've never had Boswell's, but I hear they do some of the best aro's.

If you like the smell of FVF, you may like other virginia flakes... Samuel gawith also makes best brown flake, which I think smells really good (and also tastes good!). For a less expensive virginia, Orlik golden sliced is a good one, and I love the sweet tin note.

For an aromatic, my current favorite is Rattray's bagpipers dream. A blend of Virginias with a cognac topping. Smells awesome and tastes just as good. Keep in mind... The longer your store aromatic, the weaker the topping will become. It will take years, especially if jarred up, but they typically don't age quite as well as tobacco with no flavorings.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    Gary is right about the aros. If you want long term storage go with natural tobacco, if you want to age it you cannot open it but it sounds like aging is not the primary issue here. I also really like the smell of Peterson's Sherlock Holmes, Rattray's Howl O' the Wind, several of the McCLelland VA's like 5100 in bulk too.