Home Cigar 101

Tips for keeping cigars fresh when shipping overseas

hey guys, I have a friend overseas for the year and I wanted to send him some cigars. Any good tips for keeping them fresh during the shipping?

thanks

Comments

• dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    Insert cigars into a zip lock with an 8 gram, 65%, Boveda packet. That will keep the humidity right, then place bag into a tupperware container. Box up and ship out! Should cover 5 to 6 cigars for 3 to 4 weeks. Use bigger boveda packet for more cigars or longer trips.

Aj
  • thank you dr frankenstein! what if I were to ship a bigger volume of cigars at once, say, 100 cigars?
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    They suggest you use 1 full size boveda packet for every 25 cigars. So 4 would probably do the job for your 100. Im Aj by the way.
  • thanks AJ, I am for sure gonna give that a go! I check out the site for Boveda, it seems pretty pricy, are there any cheaper ways besides using Boveda?

thanks
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    enzoenzo:
    thanks AJ, I am for sure gonna give that a go! I check out the site for Boveda, it seems pretty pricy, are there any cheaper ways besides using Boveda?

thanks
    I send packages with Humi Care water pillows sometimes.
    But I wouldn't say they are as stable as Boveda, but will work.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Boveda is going to be the best bet (most stable anyway) make sure you use a container that is airtight and you wont need as many in fact one would probably be okay.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Ummmm just my .20 sending 100 sticks+postage boveda is pretty cheap!! But I'd say your good with 1-2 big packs since they will be air tight and unopened for a while
    Money can't buy taste
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does your friend have a good humidor he can store them in?

If not, I'd suggest sending the cigars in a plastic storage container (either a few small ones or one larger one like this):
    It will add a little extra protection while they're "in transit" and he can use the plastic container as a humidor.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    Use the RubberMaid type that seals better...this one I've used before and it doesn't seal 100%...the clasps still let air in. It's all about the seal. This is the one that works better IMO image
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cigary:
    Use the RubberMaid type that seals better...this one I've used before and it doesn't seal 100%...the clasps still let air in. It's all about the seal. This is the one that works better IMO image
    Good point, yes check the seal if you go with one of these. Some (like cigary's) seal better than others.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *