Home Cigar 101

going commando?

ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
every roll with a humidor with no humidification in it? Mine has been at 72% and whenever I have the lid open for a while it tends to go up a degree or two. Should I take out the humidification and try to let the humdiity go down naturally while monitering it? I am in the moist northeast, and I think they may be okay. What say you?

Comments

• kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    Hey ironhorse where in ny ...... iam in buffalo and have had zero issues this year at all ..... humidity has been 70 and temp has been between 68-75 degrees ...... what are you using as humidification??? and is you hygrometer calibrated???
  • ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    Just above NYC. The temp is okay, right around 70. I calibrated the hygro about a month ago and I am using Drymistat tubes as humidification. I had 2 and went down to one and its still high. The crystals haven't gone down at all and they have been in there a month.
  • Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    Are you running with a digital hygrometer or analog? I'd be leery of going without some sort of humidification device in a humi, if you have beads you can stick em in the humi to try to soak up the excess humidity. I have 0 experience with Drymistat tubes, but you might try drying it out and then sticking the dry tube in there to bring the humidity down.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    If you're running an analog, that's probably your issue. I would spend the $15 and get a digital. Well worth the money.

"Long ashes my friends."

It's digital. I let it sit without any humidification overnight and it went down to 71%. I still have nothing in there and I'll check it when I get home from "work". It's still a humid-esque warm day so I am not worried about drying out.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    It is quite humid in my basement where my humidor is. I can go a week or more at a time without any humidification device in it. Course my humidor is full and stable, which helps to hold the humidity in there well.
  • 4bob44bob4 Posts: 212
    Drymistat tubes similar to heartfelt beads? I put the 65's in myhumi while it was high and it sucked the moisture right out. Might be a solution for you too?
    Drymistats are not really the same. I believe they could soak up some moisture, but they are more like tuular humipillows than beads.

my humi is full too. I came home and over filled it now with more cigars. Right now it is at 70% and I am going to leave it without humidity for a little while as the ccom cigars always come well humidified. Check it in the morning again.