Home Cigar 101

It's only 2 days. Does it really need a water pillow?

Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
Is the following equation true or false?
Priority mail + quality ziplock bag = no need for pillow.

Comments

• catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    I haven't used pillows for a long time....
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Not really. The cigars themselves can hold some humidity for some time, especially in a sealed bag with most of the air let out.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with you Tony. It's a poll question really. I want people to give their opinions on it. I used to use them all the time but I have changed my tune.

I started one coolidor project a while back that has confirmed the notion that a properly humidified cigar in a well sealed baggie or container with little air inside is capable of maintaining it's moisture all by itself quite well and for a very long time. I started a 28 quart coolidor by loading it full of cedar trays and then humidifying them with a tray of distilled water. Next I added properly humidified cigars. I have had this cooler going for about 5 months or so WITHOUT adding ANY humidification device. No KL, no beads, no gel, no bovedas, nuthin. Been holding at about 65% ever since. Have you ever heard of such?
  • New_BootsNew_Boots Posts: 2,651 ✭✭
    I don't ship with them, usually. The last package I sent out I used one...only because I packed the sticks in my herf-a-dor (thanks FTG!) and had to hang on to them for most of the day. Then I sent them out that afternoon, so I had a humi pillow in the herf-a-dor...so, why not ship with it?!
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    I would ship one with it just to be safe.... good example was the santa exchange.... half of our packages got stuck in the mail for almost an extra week.... who knows what conditions the cigars are exposed to in that time.

Aj
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Just habit I usually ship with some kind of device but I know it's not that needed
    Money can't buy taste
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did some tests a while back an they have a tendency to over humidify. Not by much though.
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    dr_frankenstein56:
    I would ship one with it just to be safe.... good example was the santa exchange.... half of our packages got stuck in the mail for almost an extra week.... who knows what conditions the cigars are exposed to in that time.

Aj
    Problem is, it's not always the safe route. They can sometimes explode. I can't remember if it's in extreme cold, heat, or both, but I avoid them in extreme temps. In the winter I figure it's no worse than putting them in the freezer and in the summer it's darn humid most everywhere anyway.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • PAtoNHPAtoNH Posts: 429
    That's also been my experience… a cooler with a good seal doesn't need much help.
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    Ken Light:
    dr_frankenstein56:

Aj
    Problem is, it's not always the safe route. They can sometimes explode. I can't remember if it's in extreme cold, heat, or both, but I avoid them in extreme temps. In the winter I figure it's no worse than putting them in the freezer and in the summer it's darn humid most everywhere anyway.
    Excellent Point!

Aj
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dr_frankenstein56:

Aj
    An extra week really isn't that long. I had a package that was sealed pretty well but not like a zip lock sit in a warehouse in LAX for 2 months. When I got it I was a bit concerned about dryness so I took the cigars out of the box and into a zip lock with a hygrometer. 24 hours later I had a 58% reading which isn't bad at all as I store at 60 - 62. Cigars are more resilient than people think.

As to Bob's original question, I never ship with humidification, except when I send stuff to the troops.