Home Non Cigar Related

Staining a deck?

I'm looking to stain my moms deck in upcoming weeks. I have been looking online and seen a very mixed set or no reviews at all for deck stain. Has anybody done it before, and what kind worked best for you?

Comments

• laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Thewelder:
    I'm looking to stain my moms deck in upcoming weeks. I have been looking online and seen a very mixed set or no reviews at all for deck stain. Has anybody done it before, and what kind worked best for you?
    Here in BC the very best product you can go with is Sikkens. It comes in many different formulations and colors. It is expensive to buy, but not having to redo the staining every other year actually makes this product the best VALUE out there. My mom's log house, which we used Sikkens on has been holding up fantastic after 7 years. I was looking at it over the Labor Day weekend and I think we will get another 2 or 3 years before we will restain it.
    It stands up to weather better then any other product I've come across before. And they have a fomulation made for decks.
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Behr worked well for us...has held up very well for more than 5 years and I expect it to continue holding up for well more than 5 more.
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Luko:
    Behr worked well for us...has held up very well for more than 5 years and I expect it to continue holding up for well more than 5 more.
    Agreed. I did a pretty sizable deck for my own mother about 5 or 6 years ago, used Behr, and it still looks great today.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    Cabot stains available at lowes ...... i worked with behr, olympic, thompsons, czar and cabot and feel the cabot is the best of them..... depending on where you live you can expect 3-6 years assuming you have prepped the deck
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Thewelder:
    I'm looking to stain my moms deck in upcoming weeks.
    I'd opt for a more hands on approach...

I'd say a 1/2 barrel of Natty Light and either Chinese food or Taco Bell... depending on how dark you wish to go...

Start while there's still daylight and by morning you'll have a stained deck for sure...

Throw in some White Owls to speed up the process
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    I use behr here, lot's of sun and no fading, but (normally) very little rain. Thompson's is good too.