Home Cigar 101
Options

my cigar.com humidor arrived today

Hi, I've been reading here about seasoning, and am wiping the inside, and placing a little distilled water in a shot glass into it. My question:it came with a small round humidifier, having never done this before, I have no idea how it works. Do I need to soak it in water or something? And if so, for how long? And should I go ahead and put it in while I'm seasoning it? Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    leemarshall337:
    Hi, I've been reading here about seasoning, and am wiping the inside, and placing a little distilled water in a shot glass into it. My question:it came with a small round humidifier, having never done this before, I have no idea how it works. Do I need to soak it in water or something? And if so, for how long? And should I go ahead and put it in while I'm seasoning it? Thanks for any help.
    No soaking of it, just get it damp, either with Distilled water or polypropylene liquid.

You can leave it in while you season and it will probably pick up a little more moisture, but if you use the polypropelene then leave it out for the poly will try to keep the humi at 70Rh and that will make the seasoning process longer...

Congrats on the Humi!

Good Luck
  • Options
    Thanks for the help. Now that it's in my hands, I'm definatelly underwhelmed by the size. But it will have to do until my bank account improves.
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I take my humidifier out and I have a spray bottle with distilled water and I give it a few squirts until it's damp.

I've also been using the humidifying jars and they seem to be keeping things pretty even.

Also, like I try to tell my wife, size doesn't matter. Humidors are like potato chips, they'll make more! When you can, get a larger one and try to fill that.
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    YankeeMan:
    I take my humidifier out and I have a spray bottle with distilled water and I give it a few squirts until it's damp.

I've also been using the humidifying jars and they seem to be keeping things pretty even.

Also, like I try to tell my wife, size doesn't matter. Humidors are like potato chips, they'll make more! When you can, get a larger one and try to fill that.
    WhAT !!!?
    I thought I just read where you were cautioning AGAINST wiping your humi's insides... now you spray them!? Wiping will do nicely if not overdone. Spraying?,,, I don't know :(
  • Options
    I'm talking about the little round humidifier that's removable from the humidor. Some people take them out and soak them, but I'm always afraid they will drip on my cigars, so I just spray them.
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    YankeeMan:
    I'm talking about the little round humidifier that's removable from the humidor. Some people take them out and soak them, but I'm always afraid they will drip on my cigars, so I just spray them.
    OHHHHH! Well carry on ! LMAO
    Sorry 'bout that.
    I always use those things as little hockey pucks. They don't work for **** as that either!
  • Options
    I agree, that's why I'm using the humijars also. I put the humidifiers back in just because I don't want the unsightly indentation on the inside of the lid. I have seen where guys have replaced the foam with beads and they seem to work.
  • Options
    I still use that foam puck in one of my small humidors. I soak it in distilled water for a couple of minutes then I shake it off in the sink and then let is sit on a paper towel for around five minutes. I have never had a drip issue.