Home Cigar 101

Acid

jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
I somehow acquired a couple Acid Opulence 3's and a Kuba Kuba. The CigarCyclopedia has a little info on the Kuba Kuba but nothing on the Opulence 3's. Anyone know anything about them? Or the Kuba Kuba, for that matter?

I've heard a few rather unflattering things about the Acid line in general, but nothing specific. Any info anyone might care to pass along would be appreciated. Thanks muchly.

Marty

Comments

• jpclotfelterjpclotfelter Posts: 294
    I have smoked a couple of Acid cigars, though neither one of them were the ones that you have. I personally don't care for the flavored or infused cigars but the construction on them is very well done. They are a quality cigar for those who enjoy that sort of thing.
  • rad1964rad1964 Posts: 190 ✭✭
    jlmarta:
    I somehow acquired a couple Acid Opulence 3's and a Kuba Kuba. The CigarCyclopedia has a little info on the Kuba Kuba but nothing on the Opulence 3's. Anyone know anything about them? Or the Kuba Kuba, for that matter?

I've heard a few rather unflattering things about the Acid line in general, but nothing specific. Any info anyone might care to pass along would be appreciated. Thanks muchly.

Marty

Out of the 10 or so Acid cigars I have tried 3 float to the top:

Java
    Nasty
    Opulence 3

I have not tried the Kuba Kuba, but the Opulence 3 has a great smell while its burning and does not have much of a nasty lingering sweet taste as a few of the Acid line do. With that being said I would certainly buy more Acid Opulence 3's :)

• HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Hey Marty,

I have yet to try any of the Acids (I've thought about it, but I've always been a little 'oddly reluctant' to put anything labeled Acid in my mouth...), but I'm curious to see how you like them. They seem to be getting more and more popular, at least at retailers.. One of these days I'm gonna try some, so maybe one of those two if you like either one...?
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    The Kuba Kuba is very sweet. Sweet as in sugary, not awesome. However it is constructed well and it is a good change of pace. Its quite mild and pleasent tobacco toasty flavor, but think of it as a cookie, not a 5 star steak dinner. As long as you don't take it too seriously, you'll enjoy it. As for the opulence 3. I have not had it yet, I have 2 sitting in my humi.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    ironhorse:
    The Kuba Kuba is very sweet. Sweet as in sugary, not awesome. However it is constructed well and it is a good change of pace. Its quite mild and pleasent tobacco toasty flavor, but think of it as a cookie, not a 5 star steak dinner. As long as you don't take it too seriously, you'll enjoy it.
    Pretty much the perfect description of an Acid Kuba Kuba.
  • GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    I really want to try both of those. For some reason I want to like Acid but the few I have had were subpar.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    The Opulence 3 I've heard some good things about and would like to try myself. If you get the CCOM print catalog there's a nice write up about them in there ...they sound tasty to me , hope you enjoy them .
  • Personaly I love them. They are nothing like regular cigars. The head has a sweet taste, i think it is dipped in something. The are also infused with something and it gives the smoke an herbal/ incense taste and smell. Smell the cigars, that scent comes through in the smoke. I have enjoyed many of the Drew Estates cigars and they are always well constructed and burn well. Still have not tried the opulence 3, my BM shop does not carry them so I'll be ordering a bunch from here. Not to change the subject but has anyone had the Tabak Especial Cafe con Leche? Been wanting to give those a try as well.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    gmill880:
    The Opulence 3 I've heard some good things about and would like to try myself. If you get the CCOM print catalog there's a nice write up about them in there ...they sound tasty to me , hope you enjoy them .

Well, guys, I did it. I tried one of the 2 Opulence 3's that came in C.Com's '3 for $5 special, and you're right. There is a nice write-up on them in C.Com's catalog.

The only mistake I made was to pour a small snifter of Booker's to go with one of them after dinner tonight. The sweet taste of the stick when I slobbered on the end of it to use my punch on it didn't go all that well with the Booker's. A fuller-bodied stick probably would have worked better.

All in all, it wasn't a bad smoke. Even burning (requiring only one touch-up burn to even things out), easy drawing, lotsa smoke. I guess the word 'Opulence' made me think the Booker's would be a good match for it.

I'm anxious to try the Kuba Kuba but I'll probably wait a while before I do. I read somewhere that the Kuba Kuba is the best-selling of the Acid line.

When I received these 3 sticks from C.Com, they were in a zip-loc bag with a humidity pillow in it and I think I'll keep the remaining 2 in that bag so as not to screw up the flavor of the other cigars in mu coolidor.

Marty

• jlmarta:

When I received these 3 sticks from C.Com, they were in a zip-loc bag with a humidity pillow in it and I think I'll keep the remaining 2 in that bag so as not to screw up the flavor of the other cigars in mu coolidor.

Marty

Good idea. I have a small Drew Estates humidor that i use just for the infused sticks. They will taint your other cigars if you store them together.
  • I've tried the cafe con leche and it's very good. I got a taste of toasted/burnt marshmallows on one... couldn't get it again on another but it was a fantastic stick.

It's funny, i've tried the java mocha and latte and didn't care for them that much, and they are basically the same thing as a con leche.. I don't know.

You will enjoy the cafe con leche.
    BTJR99:
    Not to change the subject but has anyone had the Tabak Especial Cafe con Leche? Been wanting to give those a try as well.
    They are very good. That taste of the 'dip' or whatever you want to call it when you are first tasting the cigar seems to go away at the right time and is very enjoyable. I had mine with some straight up French Roast!

My favorite is the Tabak Especial, Maduro, Perfecto Negra

• Sounds good. I ordered the Tabak Especial Coffee to Go Sampler. Should be at the house on monday, looking forward to it now.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    BTJR99:
    Sounds good. I ordered the Tabak Especial Coffee to Go Sampler. Should be at the house on monday, looking forward to it now.

Hope you enjoy those I love them BTJR ...I always keep a bunch of them and the Java Maduros in my infused cigar humi ...
    So, first off I got to meet Marty today which was awesome - real stand up fella. And at the same time, I lit up an Acid Kuba Kuba that we got with entry to event we were at.

Fellas.... how the EFF do you guys smoke these???? I know everybody has their preferences, and that's totally cool - but that thing was officially one of the most disgusting things I've ever put in my mouth! I have one of the Tabak Especial ones from Drew, but I'm a little reluctant to try it given the experience I had with the Kuba Kuba..

Just my .02

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
    Sounds like you had my experience only with Isla del Sol. I am thinking they can't make this this sweetly sic(k) and enjoy em. Maybe I had a heavly dipped one, maybe you did too. Maybe we didn't.

• PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Hays:
    So, first off I got to meet Marty today which was awesome - real stand up fella. And at the same time, I lit up an Acid Kuba Kuba that we got with entry to event we were at.

Fellas.... how the EFF do you guys smoke these???? I know everybody has their preferences, and that's totally cool - but that thing was officially one of the most disgusting things I've ever put in my mouth! I have one of the Tabak Especial ones from Drew, but I'm a little reluctant to try it given the experience I had with the Kuba Kuba..

Just my .02
    That was my thought on the ONE Acid cigar I've had. It was also a Kuba Kuba and it was way too sweet! I felt like I was eating a bunch of candy while smoking a cigar that wasn't that great to begin with... I try not to be a cigar snob, and I damn sure don't look down on people who enjoy infused or flavored cigars, but for me they just ruin the main reason I smoke good cigars. I would try something like a Java if it was given to me at an event or something, but other than that, they really just don't interest me at all. I've passed on 2 or 3 events at my local smoke shop with Jonathan Drew himself there because about the only cigar they have that is worth smoking to me it the Liga Privada, and I can name 10-20 cigars in the same price range that I enjoy as much or more...
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hays, Give the Tabak Especial a try. I tried the Acid, I got two in a special sampler from ccom and I hated it, I graciously gave the other one to my son to smoke.

I did really like the Tabak though and although a little sweet, it had a great taste and smoked well.
    YankeeMan:
    Hays, Give the Tabak Especial a try. I tried the Acid, I got two in a special sampler from ccom and I hated it, I graciously gave the other one to my son to smoke.

I did really like the Tabak though and although a little sweet, it had a great taste and smoked well.
    Yeah I decided to hold onto it. I'm gonna see my best friend again (finally, after about 2 years) in November, and he told me he leans towards flavored smokes so we're gonna smoke it together.

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And so, the Acid saga continues. In an earlier post I told you about trying an Opulence 3. Yesterday I mustered all my guts together (no guts, no glory, no air medal they say) and lit up an Acid Kuba Kuba. Overall, I didn't think it was very different from the Opulence 3 - very sweet at the head and a not-so-bad smoke.

I was trying a theory - if I could keep the head dry and refrain from tasting it, maybe I could make some sort of judgement regarding the smoke, itself. The trick, I think, is keeping from licking it. So I used my V-cutter instead of my punch because I always lick the cigar head and the punch before putting the two of them together.

Well, that part failed. No matter what I did, I ended up tasting the sweetness from the head of the cigar. The smoke itself was fairly good, as was the Opulence 3. It's just that damned sweetness. Yecch!

And, to make matters worse, at the cigar event we attended on the 19th, they gave us an Acid Kuba Deluxe. I can't find out anything about this stick except that it has a Sumatra wrapper, but I have to assume it's just a longer Kuba Kuba. Rats!! I think I've had it with the Acid line of smokes.

Marty

• Melman55Melman55 Posts: 3
    The Opulence 3 rules!