Home Cigar 101

Buying my first Humidor

Retircs1Retircs1 Posts: 453
After reading many of your post and vast understanding of Cigars and Humidors, I want to buy my first Humidor. Right now I have only a traveling 10 sticks holding capacity looking to get 25 to 50. what would you all here recommend to get for a Beginner cigar smoker. more of my friends and family are taking a liking to smoking cigars and I would like to have one now. all suggestion are welcome .

Comments

• RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    IMO, buy bigger then 50. If you get serious about cigars, 50 is more like 35 which is more like nothing. I bought a 300 count, which was a little $$$, but I have not had to buy anything else.
  • New_BootsNew_Boots Posts: 2,651 ✭✭
    I agree with Rain. That 50 will be great...for a little bit. However, you are going to have to increase your storage rather quickly. Perhaps get a 50ct glass top for "show" and a cooler, or something larger for storage. I know, it sounds crazy..."I don't need room for 300 cigars". I thought the same thing a few months ago. Now I have a 150, 50, and a cooler.
  • Retircs1Retircs1 Posts: 453
    Rain:
    IMO, buy bigger then 50. If you get serious about cigars, 50 is more like 35 which is more like nothing. I bought a 300 count, which was a little $$$, but I have not had to buy anything else.
    Rain what I am concerned about is my ability to keep cigars from drying out or getting familiar with maintaining a humidor. I have about 200$ to spend on one , but I am thinkin I need to walk before run lol but I could be wrong.
    New Boots:
    I agree with Rain. That 50 will be great...for a little bit. However, you are going to have to increase your storage rather quickly. Perhaps get a 50ct glass top for "show" and a cooler, or something larger for storage. I know, it sounds crazy..."I don't need room for 300 cigars". I thought the same thing a few months ago. Now I have a 150, 50, and a cooler.
    ok I here yea I am looking at the Glass Tops and what to use to keep my sticks in good condition how about some names of some to give me a visual?
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Retircs1:
    Rain:
    Rain what I am concerned about is my ability to keep cigars from drying out or getting familiar with maintaining a humidor. I have about 200$ to spend on one , but I am thinkin I need to walk before run lol but I could be wrong.
    Once you set up your humi, maintaining means looking at the hygro once a day. :)
    I have a Q? for you all. Does all cigars keep the same way no matter what kind dark wrap etc..
    ok thanks
    Rain:
    Retircs1:
    Rain:
    Once you set up your humi, maintaining means looking at the hygro once a day. :)
    Thanks Rain,
    in a humidor do all types of cigars keep the same way? or is there a difference depending a on wrap and gage? I thank you for your answer in advance
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Retircs1:
    I have a Q? for you all. Does all cigars keep the same way no matter what kind dark wrap etc..
    Pretty much. I have heard some guys with larger collections like to separate maduros at 70% from connecticuts at 65% but most guys mix 'em up.

Wintertime can dry out desktop humidors. I have two that are champs and two that are losers. There's no shame in using tupperware or rubbermaid containers. In fact it would be easier for a novice to start with plastic containers for storage than to start a humidor. Either method you choose, we'll help you figure it out. Just ask us.
    Bob Luken:
    Retircs1:
    Pretty much. I have heard some guys with larger collections like to separate maduros at 70% from connecticuts at 65% but most guys mix 'em up.

Wintertime can dry out desktop humidors. I have two that are champs and two that are losers. There's no shame in using tupperware or rubbermaid containers. In fact it would be easier for a novice to start with plastic containers for storage than to start a humidor. Either method you choose, we'll help you figure it out. Just ask us.
    Bob thank you, right now I have only a Xikar travel box and the gage I like only hold about 7 to 10 sticks
    Retircs1:
    Bob Luken:
    Retircs1:

Bob thank you, right now I have only a Xikar travel box and the gage I like only hold about 7 to 10 sticks
    Bob what kind or model or brand are the Champs?
  • No_one21No_one21 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭
    Just want to reinforce the buy bigger than you think mantra. I know multiple people on here including me bought small, then a bit bigger, then another, then BAM you're in a cooler lol I say go for a 100ct to start.
    Retircs1:
    Retircs1:
    Bob Luken:
    Retircs1:

Bob what kind or model or brand are the Champs?
    Oh Crap. LOL All my wood humidors are cheapo humidors. I just got lucky with two and unlucky with two. But in my opinion (of cheap ones) the smaller the humidor the worse your chances. 25 - 50 counts are hit or miss. I have two slightly larger desktops that are still cheap china imports but perform well. (Southport Large - and Evanston Classic - both sold here on ccom)
  • EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Retircs1:
    New Boots:
    ok I here yea I am looking at the Glass Tops and what to use to keep my sticks in good condition how about some names of some to give me a visual?
    Before you take any advice from New Boots, you have to understand that he is a skinny cook.
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • PAtoNHPAtoNH Posts: 429
    Watch the Ccom Sprint Sale ( cigarsprintsale.com ), humis and herf-a-dors come up regularly. Don't bid until you know where the auction ends and are aware of the full retail price. Shipping is free so it can be a pretty good deal.

Read the thread on seasoning a humi here in the 101 forum. You'll want to buy a digital hygrometer as well... about $20. Then you need to figure out how you want to humidify... lots of options to choose from... I use a combination of humi-care beads & Boveda packs in my 400 count humi.

Good luck!
    Echambers:
    Retircs1:
    New Boots:
    Before you take any advice from New Boots, you have to understand that he is a skinny cook.
    Bahahahah! Hey now...there is nothing I can do about that! I could spend 30 days on the couch consuming a diet of Beer, Ice cream, and pizza...I'd still weigh in at 180lbs
    I have one similar to This one and it works like a champ. I have another wood humi (not sold on Ccom) that is also great. I'm starting a cooler right now. (right click, open in new tab...I was to lazy to code it right)
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree with going large. I bought a 25 ct a few months ago. And I outgrew it in a hurry. I just bought a 100 ct off the sprint sale for less than half the original price. I look forward to being able to buy a box without worrying about storage space.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I got a 50ct just for show...then a 75&100 plus some coolers. This is a very addicting hobby so tread lightly
    Money can't buy taste
    Hey Bob I watched the video for Evanston classic they said 75 ct for this humidor or is it 100ct depending on the gage huh?
    Yes, it's all relative to the size cigars you have. In my opinion the Eastport Large is the best value. In the past I have seen it sell on the sprint sale for around $40. That's a great deal.
  • ckrddsmkeckrddsmke Posts: 392
    Retircs1:
    After reading many of your post and vast understanding of Cigars and Humidors, I want to buy my first Humidor.

Right now I have only a traveling 10 sticks holding capacity looking to get 25 to 50.

what would you all here recommend to get for a Beginner cigar smoker. more of my friends and family are taking a liking to smoking cigars and I would like to have one now.

all suggestion are welcome .

If I may repeat what others have said you are better going larger. It won't hurt if it isn't full right away, however, you will be amazed how quickly you can fill it. For humidification the black ice cigar.com sells is pretty neat in that the containers can fit in the corners of the humi i.e more space for cigars. They are filled with super absorbent polymers which is the same as the humi beads in a different shape. Unfortunately they do not come with instructions, however work great and keep the RH around 67. You can buy the SAP beads at Michaels or other craft stores very inexpensively. I buy the dry ones and hydrate them myself with distilled water and occasionaly rehydrate with 50/50. they are also sold prehydrated, however, there is no way of telling what type of water was used. Besides it is a hoot to watch them grow. They are so inexpensive you could just replace them each time. For $2.99 and .89 for a gallon of distilled water you get several years of humidification. I replaced the foam (wet florists foam) in my humiidifiers with the beads. If you get a digital hygrometer check it with a boveda humi-pak. Put both in a zip lock bag for 24 hours. If you have a Total Wine nearby you can buy a tin of Romeo y Julieta Reserva Real Minutos Petites they come packaged with a small Boveday 72% humi pack. You get some tasty quick smokes and save $3-4 on buying a humi pack. The Bovedas work well however for larger humis and the long term it is much more expensive.