Home Cigar 101

Starting out - - What do yall suggest? :)

EoLEoL Posts: 182
Right now, just living on a college student minimum wage job! I have started slowly purchasing singles just to try and find what I like most.
I am just wanting to try a selection of stuff. Any suggestions from yall for a college budget? hahah

Comments

• Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd try out perdomo stuff...it's affordable and not bad for the money other then that fuente,padron can be had for good prices
    Money can't buy taste
  • EoLEoL Posts: 182
    Lee.mcglynn:
    I'd try out perdomo stuff...it's affordable and not bad for the money other then that fuente,padron can be had for good prices

anything in particular? :)
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    EoL:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    the champagne perdomos aren't bad padron thousand series are great and fuente hemmingways are good
    Money can't buy taste
  • PAtoNHPAtoNH Posts: 429
    What's your budget? What do you like so far? Samplers can be a good start. Ccom has some "build your own" samplers that can be a good deal if you do your due diligence. In the meantime, read reviews, buy singles and see what you like. I love Perdomo and realize that some consider them budget smokes but I think it'd be an expensive mistake if you're on a strict budget and dropped $130 on a box you don't care for. They have budget brands like Cuban Bullet v2 series that are on clearance. Read reviews and see if you can find a consensus with your palate. Good luck!
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On a student budget, I would avoid singles from the premium shelf. They cost.

Our cigar chain here in Dull-Aware has a four buck bargain bin. That's where the last several sticks from a discontinued box go to free up shelf space for a new box. They may have cost seven or nine by the single when they were on the shelf; but they are just four bucks from the bin. Dig through the bin you can find some super cigars. For example, I scored some tasty rothschilds from that bin when I first started. They were my first intro to the nutmeg aroma I favor now.

Then there's the twenty buck baggies. These will hold a sampler of half a dozen sticks each. I scored any number of these just to try things out when I started.

Then there's the knock down shelf. Here live boxes with a couple years age on them. Might be absolutely top notch cigars; but for some mysterious reason they just didn't go over. For example, I scored a box of 24 Nestor Reserve 2000 there for under sixty bucks. Enjoyed the living crap out of that bargain.

Last, do not scorn the bundle section. You have bundles of twenty over-runs, or twenty seconds, for thirty bucks or under. Rely on your. Some of the very best bargain bundles you can get come from cigar.com. Not just the house blends. Call up cigar.com, tell them what you've tried so far that you like, let them know you are on a short budget, and they will take care of you. Everyone here seems to love the Perdomo seconds and the Fonseca Aranas... just 35 bucks for twenty.

If you live anywhere close to Dull-Aware, and your local store doesn't offer these bargains, it's worth the trip to get here. Once you know what you like, watch the daily deals, sprint sale, and clearance offerings here.
    ,br.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    cigar.com house blends to figure out what you like but they are really good in themselves.
  • Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fonseca Aranas are good especially for the price, but they will need some rest.i suggest u sampler around to c what u like.
  • EoLEoL Posts: 182
    thank you all for all your suggestions!! I can't wait to try so many!!
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    two words:

SPRINT SALE

That is just mean..send the new guy to the most insidiously dangerous place on here. Tsk Tsk

Samplers Samplers Samplers
  • flowbeeflowbee Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭
    The Sprint sale site is awesome. amazing deals
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    flowbee:
    The Sprint sale site is awesome. amazing deals
    Be carful here. Sprint sale does have some good deals, but I've also seen stuff sell for over MSRP, or even over the price CCom lists it for.
  • bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    EoL:
    Lee.mcglynn:

IMO anything in those brands will be good and well constructed so you can just pick something within your price range. The Padron in the standard line (plain brown band) is solid but the maduros seem to get the most love. The Fuente 858 is a good and comes in natural cameroon or maduro. Perdomo Lot23 is good line and the maduros are especially tasty. Oliva Serie G are another good choice.
  • FireRobFireRob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    two words:

SPRINT SALE

Crap!!!! Really wish I didnt see this......I could stare at that for hours on end. Got three windows open on my computor going back and forth to check what they retail for and what the last price before it disapeared was. Im really in trouble come next payday.
  • FireRobFireRob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭
    Before I attempt to buy anything how does the shipping charges work on this Sprint Sale stuff?

Just didnt want to buy anything and find out later the shipping was just as much as the product
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    FireRob:
    Before I attempt to buy anything how does the shipping charges work on this Sprint Sale stuff?

Just didnt want to buy anything and find out later the shipping was just as much as the product
    Shipping is free on sprint sale items.