Home Cigar 101

Boveda packs for cooler

rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm not sure if anyone else has run into this problem, but I seem to receive/purchase many more cigars than I smoke (especially now in the winter and that damn Sprint sale). I am looking to buy a cooler to store boxes (or fivers and mazos which I put into boxes) so I can let them rest without constantly shuffling them around. I have exclusively switched over to Boveda packs for my other Humidors, so I was looking for some advice on using them for coolers? I have read a bunch of threads here on coolers, but only a few mention of Boveda packs. Is there any formula on how many to use, or what level to use to hit your RH? Would you need to season a cooler for this, or just put the boxes (stored in a seasoned cabinet now) in and add the Boveda packs? Thanks. Any advice or thread links I may have missed would be appreciated.

Comments

• Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I use boveda in my coolers and it works well! If you plan in using old boxes remember they are dry and you need too get them seasoned before adding them too the cooler. You don't need too season plastic just anything that will soak up humidity when you put it in. I use 4 boveda 65's and a small tray of beads...this keeps it at 67rh. I use two bovedas at the bottom and at the top.
    Money can't buy taste
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bovedas work great in coolers and you don't need as many as you would in a wood humidor of the same size. I cut and pasted the following from http://www.bovedapacks.com/how_many_needs

There is a simple formula to determine how may Boveda Packs you require. You will need one Pack for the Humidor itself and then one pack for every 50 cigars of CAPACITY. So if you have a humidor that holds 40 cigars, use 2 packs. If your box holds 75 cigars, use 3 packs. 100 cigars, 3 packs. You get the picture. The same formula holds true when starting your humidor off with the seasoning packs.

Since the cooler does not absorb humidity you should be able to get by with less than this calculation would estimate. And yes, the boxes you already have humidified in your cabinet are ready to go in the cooler. The only seasoning needed for the cooler itself is a thorough washing and air dry.

Also, since some of the Boveda Believers (Bolievers LOL) feel free to butt in whenever there is a discussion on using silica kitty litter, I will take this opportunity to say this - KL is cheap, effective and not really messy and not really hard to manage. I'm not saying either is better. I in fact, use both. Both are very easy. Just don't let the Bolievers tell you KL is a lesser option unless they have effectively used both.
  • honorknight7honorknight7 Posts: 523
    This is from the Boveda site, it lists info for both wood and plastic containers

How Many Boveda do I Need?

• PAtoNHPAtoNH Posts: 429
    The first think I'd do is put the sticks in the cooler with a hygrometer and see what rh you get in 24 hours. My cooler needed NO extra hydration this winter and in the fall the rh was too high. If I'd continued using the cooler (i've moved everything into a footlocker) I think I'd have been looking at KL/beads as a way of dropping the rh by about 5%. YMMV...
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    Also, since some of the Boveda Believers (Bolievers LOL) feel free to butt in whenever there is a discussion on using silica kitty litter, I will take this opportunity to say this - KL is cheap, effective and not really messy and not really hard to manage. I'm not saying either is better. I in fact, use both. Both are very easy. Just don't let the Bolievers tell you KL is a lesser option unless they have effectively used both.
    That pantyhose thread scared me away from the KL. Only kidding. I have read all of the KL threads, and obviously it is a very effective and cost friendly way of maintaining RH. I was on the verge of trying it with this cooler project, but I just can't get away from the ease of the Boveda packs. Not trying to stir up another discussion between humidification options. The boxes I have now should be seasoned in the cabinet. I will start with a couple packs and watch the RH if I add any new unseasoned boxes. Thanks for the input.
    rsherman24:
    Bob Luken:
    That pantyhose thread scared me away from the KL. Only kidding. I have read all of the KL threads, and obviously it is a very effective and cost friendly way of maintaining RH. I was on the verge of trying it with this cooler project, but I just can't get away from the ease of the Boveda packs. Not trying to stir up another discussion between humidification options. The boxes I have now should be seasoned in the cabinet. I will start with a couple packs and watch the RH if I add any new unseasoned boxes. Thanks for the input.
    You're welcome. I like to stir the pot a little when it comes to the KL & Boveda thing. It's all in fun but there's some truth in there too. There are some guys who are biased (at least to some degree) against KL and will try to steer guys away from KL and try to preach about their own chosen method of humidification. LOL And usually those guys are Bolievers. LOL I just made that up.
    I must admit, I am a "Boliever". But, I would never try to preach one method over another. Everyone has their own method which they trust to maintain their collection. Thanks
    Ah, then you are not a true Boliever. LOL A true boliever rejects KL and preaches the gospel of Boveda. LOL
    There is still a glimmer of hope Bob. I just don't know if the wife is ready for me to come walking in the house with a tub of KL and a pack of pantyhose. One of these Humi-addition projects I will give KL its fair chance.
    OK just sneak 'em in. LOL I'm not trying to preach KL to you. Really I like both. But here's a teaser for ya'. I checked RH in my half empty jug of KL last night. 65% in the jug, never even been trained. Cool right? LOL
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    rsherman24:
    There is still a glimmer of hope Bob. I just don't know if the wife is ready for me to come walking in the house with a tub of KL and a pack of pantyhose. One of these Humi-addition projects I will give KL its fair chance.
    kl takes up a lot of room! If you don't mind losing space for a pound of kl go for it...IMO boveda takes up a lot less space
    Money can't buy taste