Home Cigar 101

2 quick questions

RedRex06RedRex06 Posts: 155
Good afternoon, folks! I've been reading up on a variety of things, and can't seem to pinpoint the answers to these two issues.

A) I prefer a punch cutter, but that is also because its the only one I've used and don't feel another kind is worth $30 or more. Where is one supposed to punch the hole? On the Torpedo-shaped Cafe con Leche, I jabbed into the slanted side, not removing the tip, but noticed it would burn either my tongue or the roof of my mouth pretty quickly, and it was very easy to lose track of where the hole was. On standard shaped ones, I plug into the very bottom. Thoughts?

B) How do I save a cigar for later? If I have a particularly gnarly cigar and its a bit overwhelming, how does one save it for later without just putting it down and letting it burn itself out? I feel that would waste a decent chunk of the cigar, so would like to avoid it if possible. I also don't have much of a reference point as to how long it takes to smoke a cigar of X size, so if I underestimate, or my kiddo needs something, the cigar will have to be put down. Can they go back into a humidor? I noticed when I saved half of the Cafe con Leche for later that it was certainly not bad, but also not as good as it first was.

Comments

• RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    A) Not sure about punching a torpedo, but I got a pair of scissors for 3 bucks at my B&M and they work great. Not breaking the bank at all. B) I would not put it back in your humi...they have a very distinct smell when they go out, at least to me. IMO, I would relight if it had been out for a max of 15 minutes or so. Any longer and I imagine it would not be my cup of tea.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome! First uuuuuuhhhhhh you don't punch a torpedo...you can use a v cut or straight cut or straight cut on a angle. You don't have too spend $30 on a cutter you can get some for $4. If you want quality then yeah a cutter will cost but I've also seen punches that are over $30. Second I really never relight a cigar after well maybe ten minutes but that's just my opinion. Cigars are meant to be smoked when lit and the only time I have had to put one down early is when something just pops up. You should experiment with different sizes so you can have some short smokes and some long smokes hope it helps
    Money can't buy taste
  • RedRex06RedRex06 Posts: 155
    Can I ask what a B&M is?

Why does one not punch a torpedo? Just because of the angle and shape making the draw funny, or because of a "just don't do it" stigma, or something else?

If I could find a good cutter for less than what it seems to be the same price everywhere, I'd jump on it; I've read some reviews for various ones and a V-cut, if sharp enough, sounds like what I would like the most.
    A b&m=brick and morter store or just a cigar store. The point of a torpedo is so you don't have to stick a huge ring gauge down your throat...punching it up far defeats the point of it. As far as cutters go if you want quality then you pay the price. Xikar is lifetime warrenty and so far I've only had one replaced due too over use. If your really wanting to dive into this hobby I suggest going higher end. You will find yourself replacing things constantly and when it's all said and done you've spent more then you would have
    Money can't buy taste
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Lee.mcglynn:
    A b&m=brick and morter store or just a cigar store. The point of a torpedo is so you don't have to stick a huge ring gauge down your throat...punching it up far defeats the point of it. As far as cutters go if you want quality then you pay the price. Xikar is lifetime warrenty and so far I've only had one replaced due too over use. If your really wanting to dive into this hobby I suggest going higher end. You will find yourself replacing things constantly and when it's all said and done you've spent more then you would have
    This is not entirely true, some people punch a torp, much like the intended punch on a LFD Chisel. Or you can cut the torp on an angle, ie the Dickman cut.

Whatever works for you is what you do. That said, I use a double guillotine almost exclusively. My nice one was a gift, but it was only around $20.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • MorganGeoMorganGeo Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait a minute now wait a minute folks! You mean to tell me there are ways to cut a cigar Other than me using my teeth?? LOL I've to get out more. :)
  • honorknight7honorknight7 Posts: 523

these are the cutters I use, I have had the black V cutter, and the green "Cheep o" cutter for a few years - given to me from my local B&M when I had a few bad sticks, they replaced the cigars and gave me the cutters,(they are only $2-3.00 each if you buy them) work good but not the best, also the stainless steel 2 finger cutter I purchased on Amazon for $10.00 over 2 years ago (its the one I use most often and it works Great, and between my wife and I we may use it 2-5 times a day on average, the yellow (put the dime over the pic because I got it from an online shop-not C.Com) and It works very nice and was $12.95 I just prefer the two finger stainless one, the scissors I have for my wife and some of her smaller gauge cigars from eBay for $5.00, the lighter shown has 2 sizes of punch I have used a few times-just don't prefer to punch, got it for $19.99 on sale its the lighter I use most often to light though, and the little pocket knife I keep in my truck (along with a little sharpener) it works Very nice when I'm out of the house and need to get a stick going, and I bought it from Sportsman's Warehouse for $10.00

I know what I have is not the best or expensive but have had zero problems since I started in this great hobby the last few years
    Thanks for the link, it didn't necessarily answer my questions but it certainly shed light on who uses what, and why.

I also agree with getting a more expensive cutter right off the bat and pay for the high quality rather than multiple mediocre items. I think I'm settling on a punch first and a guillotine later, after I determine what I can't successfully punch.

The image below is basically the cut I use on my torpedoes, though not exact. I sometimes feel the draw take more effort, so I punch again overlapping it halfway, like a Venn diagram, to widen the hole.

Quick edit: Thanks for the images of your own! Its good to see what all tools people have. I've been seeing the scissors around lately, but haven't used them.

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RedRex06:
    Good afternoon, folks! I've been reading up on a variety of things, and can't seem to pinpoint the answers to these two issues. A) I prefer a punch cutter, but that is also because its the only one I've used and don't feel another kind is worth $30 or more. Where is one supposed to punch the hole? On the Torpedo-shaped Cafe con Leche, I jabbed into the slanted side, not removing the tip, but noticed it would burn either my tongue or the roof of my mouth pretty quickly, and it was very easy to lose track of where the hole was. On standard shaped ones, I plug into the very bottom. Thoughts? B) How do I save a cigar for later? If I have a particularly gnarly cigar and its a bit overwhelming, how does one save it for later without just putting it down and letting it burn itself out? I feel that would waste a decent chunk of the cigar, so would like to avoid it if possible. I also don't have much of a reference point as to how long it takes to smoke a cigar of X size, so if I underestimate, or my kiddo needs something, the cigar will have to be put down. Can they go back into a humidor? I noticed when I saved half of the Cafe con Leche for later that it was certainly not bad, but also not as good as it first was.
    Well, I'm having difficulties thinking that this is a serious post and because of that, it makes it difficult to respond to it nicely.

OK
    A) Seriously?
    B) Seriously?
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
    Martel:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    This is not entirely true, some people punch a torp, much like the intended punch on a LFD Chisel. Or you can cut the torp on an angle, ie the Dickman cut.

Whatever works for you is what you do. That said, I use a double guillotine almost exclusively. My nice one was a gift, but it was only around $20.
    yeas and some people also leave the cedar sleeve on the cigar while smoking it lol!! Lfd is the exception but it was made for that purpose in a way
    Money can't buy taste
    That is not a torpedo. That is a chisel and while the punch will work on a chisel, it will not have the same results on a torpedo.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    Two things. First, I know that's a chisel, as I googled for LFD chisels to see what people were referring to. I then noticed this, which is essentially where I place the punch on the torpedoes, not far up the angled side.

Second, you picked an apt username, 0patience. I'm not trolling your forums but I'm more than willing to take my questions elsewhere.
    Hahahahaaaa dbag of the century!!photo 0E19DA00-F84F-4F66-9672-FC58B0078F7D.jpg
    Money can't buy taste
    RedRex06:
    Two things. First, I know that's a chisel, as I googled for LFD chisels to see what people were referring to. I then noticed this, which is essentially where I place the punch on the torpedoes, not far up the angled side. Second, you picked an apt username, 0patience. I'm not trolling your forums but I'm more than willing to take my questions elsewhere.
    i don't think 0pat meant anything like that...we are a nice group of guys but yeah don't punch a torp...it can cause more damage then good! Really if I were you I'd look into a a nice cutter. Even vcuts have problems that's why I like a straight cut. I use all at some points but the straight cut works on everything! Punches can get yard up some vcuts don't cut deep enough and straight cuts you can always cut more off
    Money can't buy taste
    Oh by the way if it's a chisel you can pinch them
    Money can't buy taste
    RedRex06:
    Two things. First, I know that's a chisel, as I googled for LFD chisels to see what people were referring to. I then noticed this, which is essentially where I place the punch on the torpedoes, not far up the angled side. Second, you picked an apt username, 0patience. I'm not trolling your forums but I'm more than willing to take my questions elsewhere.
    OK then.
    But put yourself in our shoes.
    We have people come to these forums with "questionable" questions.
    And as I stated, because they were what I would classifieds as "Duh" questions, it made it hard to reply to it with any seriousness.

And you are saying you had a presence of mind to Google chisel, but not punching torpedoes?

But it is what it is. You don't know anything about me, but you too made a snap judgement on the written words. Hmm, sound familiar?
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    come on this is funny as hell!!
    Money can't buy taste
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Do you even punch bro? Do you?
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Ahem.....There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers. To the original poster, get yourself a double guillotine. You "should" use it to cut torpedos. You can also use it to cut the end off a cigar that you want to finish later. I wouldn't recommend this, but if you are going to relight later then it is probably the best option.
    Lee.mcglynn:
    The beauty of the chisel is that you don't have to cut it! I only ever pinch open my chisels.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • honorknight7honorknight7 Posts: 523
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Thanks man, I didn't notice it the first time, then seeing it again It hit me LOL Awesome
    SleevePlz:
    Ahem.....There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers. To the original poster, get yourself a double guillotine. You "should" use it to cut torpedos. You can also use it to cut the end off a cigar that you want to finish later. I wouldn't recommend this, but if you are going to relight later then it is probably the best option.
    Lee.mcglynn:
    The beauty of the chisel is that you don't have to cut it! I only ever pinch open my chisels.
    usually I pinch...better smoke output. But every now and then I'll punch. Really I don't use the punch much anyways
    Money can't buy taste
    honorknight7:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Thanks man, I didn't notice it the first time, then seeing it again It hit me LOL Awesome
    lol this should be a lesson too all idiots!!
    Money can't buy taste
  • ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    Lee.mcglynn:
    honorknight7:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    This is the funnest thing I've seen in weeks. I really thought you were joking.
  • ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    Rex...Please check your inbox. Upper right corner on the screen.
    ddubridge:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    honorknight7:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    This is the funnest thing I've seen in weeks. I really thought you were joking.
    i don't lie!! I share lol yup...punching a torpedo made me laugh
    Money can't buy taste
    0patience:

OK then.

But put yourself in our shoes.

We have people come to these forums with "questionable" questions.

And as I stated, because they were what I would classifieds as "Duh" questions, it made it hard to reply to it with any seriousness.

And you are saying you had a presence of mind to Google chisel, but not punching torpedoes?

But it is what it is. You don't know anything about me, but you too made a snap judgement on the written words. Hmm, sound familiar?

Yes, it does sound familiar. I didn't mean to take offense, nor offend, so I apologize.

Most of what I found regarding punching vs cutting was heavily preference based, and not much torpedo-specific. I've read all the stuff on another site's cigar 101 section I found, and it didn't answer my questions, but was quite enlightening in its own right.

I do agree, though, they are most certainly "duh" questions. As much as I don't want to ask them for fear of looking like the total noob that I am, how can I get the answer if I don't ask?

The only other person I know who smokes cigars doesn't usually smoke torpedoes, so when I asked him where to punch it, he didn't know either. I now understand the consensus is not to do it, but I don't know WHY. To that end, what is it about a gentle punch on the side that damages the torpedo?

Saving a cigar for later certainly isn't a pressing issue, but one that came up on my first cigar that then burnt itself another half - 3/4 inch before going out.
  • New_BootsNew_Boots Posts: 2,651 ✭✭
    I too prefer a punch, but I do have a few double G's around. Sometimes he punch just isn't going to work out. That said, a nice punch and a cheap double G will do ya. You may drop 4-5$ every X amount of time, but that's better than dropping $40 on a double G that you'll only use a few times.

Understand that we get some crazyness around here, and let's just let things slide. That being said, hang out, stick around...and I promise you'll enjoy the place!
  • New_BootsNew_Boots Posts: 2,651 ✭✭
    RedRex06:
    Saving a cigar for later certainly isn't a pressing issue, but one that came up on my first cigar that then burnt itself another half - 3/4 inch before going out.
    I may get fried for this but here goes...

I've kept a cigar for about 24hrs after lighting it the first time. (personal preference only here) If you get close to half way, or beyond...either finish it, or toss it. If you are at less than 50% of the stick smoked...here goes.

(you'll need a cutter for this)
    Slide your cutter on, via the end you are smoking
    Cut off the burning end, as close to the "cherry" as you can
    Blow into the cigar until there is no more smoke coming out where you just cut
    Put the stick in a plastic baggie, NOT your humi
    finish within 24hrs
    OK, since they are serious questions about the punch and torps, let's look at it from a purely mechanical aspect. If you try and punch a torpedo,you are trying to push/pull air the wrong way thru the tobacco and it will cause a change in the flavor. They are designed to draw air completely thru the cigar.
    A chisel, is completely different in design from torpedoes in that folk have punched them with considerable success. But remember that you are directing the smoke and heat into one spot in your mouth, which can be a bit of a problem.

As for the relighting after it has sat for a while, do not put into a humi, as it will taint your other cigars. And be aware that if you go back to it later, you will have a funky taste to it. Not always terrible, but not the same and you might not like it.

And welcome to the forum.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said: