Home Cigar 101

Hygrometer battery dieing

RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
Just curious what to look for to tell somebody their battery is going bad. I got a Colibri, had it over a year. Still works great but I've noticed crazy readings on it a couple times in the last month. One day it read 85% I moved it and later it was back to 69%. Hasn't happened since then.( about2 weeks ago)

Comments

• Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is exactly what happens. I had a xikar battery die on me, and for quite a while it would give crazy readings. Like 122 degrees, 50% rh, or 80% rh, 20 degrees. I thought it was just messed, but then when I replaced the battery it went right back to normal readings.

Edit: just to clarify, the hygrometer never actually "stopped working". As in, in always had numbers appearing on the screen...they were just obviously wrong. So a bad battery will stat causing crazy readings way before the device completely quits working with no read-out at all.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i have a hygrometer that will read correct 100% of the time but the display will fade and become dim when low.
    however thats good info on the Xikar. i just purchased 4 so when i see them doing that i know to replace. good lookin out.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guess I better get down to the battery store.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rhamlin:
    Guess I better get down to the battery store.
    I found mine at radio shack. Walmart and many other stores did not carry the specific kind that the Xikar's take.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    i have a hygrometer that will read correct 100% of the time but the display will fade and become dim when low.
    however thats good info on the Xikar. i just purchased 4 so when i see them doing that i know to replace. good lookin out.
    mine would get dim as well but stayed accurate!
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    smoke em if you got em:
    kuzi16:
    mine would get dim as well but stayed accurate!
    Mine too, in fact its so dim now I cant see it! LOL
  • jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
    I had one that gave wild displays..... not even numbers. I thought for sure it (the hygrometer) was dead and needed to be replaced. On a last try, I took it to the local 'Batteries +' store to have them try a new battery. I knew if the battery didnt fix my problem that it wouldnt cost me anything. Turns out it worked great and has been going strong for 6 months now. So.... dying batteries can cause all kinds of funny stuff.
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    jadelt:
    I had one that gave wild displays..... not even numbers. I thought for sure it (the hygrometer) was dead and needed to be replaced. On a last try, I took it to the local 'Batteries +' store to have them try a new battery. I knew if the battery didnt fix my problem that it wouldnt cost me anything. Turns out it worked great and has been going strong for 6 months now. So.... dying batteries can cause all kinds of funny stuff.
    BUMP (in case anyone else is having this same problem)
    I could hardly make out the display on my coolidor hygrometer last night. The display is still giving accurate numbers but it was extremely dim/faded and I could barely read the numbers.

I'm going to take it down to the local Batteries Plus store tomorrow and see if they can fix it up for me.

I have the same hygrometer as the one pictured below....

Do you think I'll have to recalibrate it after replacing the battery?

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    Always do a salt test after replacing a battery. That ensures that it is right. I have replaced several and I always have to hit the recalibrate button when doing a salt test. Once that is done you will be all set.
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    J.S.:
    Always do a salt test after replacing a battery. That ensures that it is right. I have replaced several and I always have to hit the recalibrate button when doing a salt test. Once that is done you will be all set.
    Fantastic, that's what I figured --- thank you for confirming my suspicion.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• curtiscr79curtiscr79 Posts: 859
    kuzi16:
    I had one that did this. It slowly faded until I couldn't read it. Don't remember the brand, but it was rectangle not round like most.