Home Cigar 101

Offgassing of plastic containers.

Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
I've heard forum members talking about offgassing of plastics and it's possible adverse effects on cigars. Then I started thinking about the plastics in my coolidors. The coolers themselves are food grade (I think) so I'm not too worried about the cooler itself. But I use some plastic tray/baskets for singles. The baskets are cheap and purchased at Dollar General Store and until I heard about offgassing I have never considered them anything but safe for cigar storage. They are Number 5 Plastics made of polypropylene which is also used as yogurt containers, syrup bottles, ketchup bottles, caps, straws and medicine bottles. So I feel like they're pretty safe. Is there any reason to think they're not safe for cigar storage?

imageimage

Comments

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used Tupperware for years without any noticeable deleterious effects. I don't think plastic, especially food grade plastic should be a problem. Except in California, of course.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amos Umwhat:
    . Except in California, of course.

Yeah, we DO have our share of tree-hugging weirdos, don't we?? LMAO

• jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Short answer --- you'll be fine. As long as your humidor doesn't smell like plastic, you won't have any issues. Don't worry about it.
    But if there's an overpowering plastic smell, then yes that could "taint" the cigars and/or spanish cedar. If that happens just let everything "air out" for a day or two until the smell dissipates.

Plus, you'll be breathing in cigar smoke --- if anything you should probably be more worried about that ;-)

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    jlmarta:
    Amos Umwhat:
    . Except in California, of course.

Yeah, we DO have our share of tree-hugging weirdos, don't we?? LMAO

More like all of them! The only time I ever noticed gassing is in plastic water bottles (not the reusable fill them up kind) where if you drink half then reseal it (the resealing part is the key) then the oxygen or something messing with the inside of the plastic and you can taste an odd taste. Other than that I have never noticed it in anything other than the bottles which are PETE or the #1.
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    This is something of interest because of the plastic society in which we live. RubberMaid and other companies are safe but when it comes to other plastics made from other countries it's hard to speculate about this being that China and other countries do not safeguard their products. As long as the plastic is confined in an area that won't produce it to extreme warm temperatures I don't see a problem...plastic will give off toxic fumes in direct or indirect heat.....that has a "3" or "7" recycle code on it. As far as the code for "5" it is pretty safe but as with any product that is exposed to heat enough for it to change it's properties ...be careful and wise. I was in my last career a Safety Plant Manager for Weyerhaeuser and MSDS was our Bible....this is the link for this. http://specchem-apps.alliedsignal.com/prodcat/Pdfs/SWA/MSDS/acpa0025.pdf
  • New_BootsNew_Boots Posts: 2,651 ✭✭
    No, actually this is the link.
    Lol....same info....same MSDS.
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Cigary:
    I think he's making a comment about how his actually links to the site just by clicking on it. The one in your post is just a URL, not a link.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
    I thought as much.....wish I knew how to link but that would mean I'd have to learn something new and that would put me over the limit of learning at least one new thing a day.
  • PAtoNHPAtoNH Posts: 429
    I guess I'm the "tree-hugger" here… do what you want but the effects of off-gassing are very real. Thousands of people were sickened by formaldehyde-processed drywall from China and melamine in pet foods and poorly processed jerky treats have killed/injured thousand of pets in a very short timeframe through liver/kidney damage worldwide. I work in the pharmaceutical/health industry and there are a lot of folks willing to tell you "everything will be okay". Where you place your trust is a matter of personal nature.

My new humi is built of mdf with a veneer of Spanish cedar. This was not disclosed in the sales material/product description. I'm not happy about that as the mdf is made with a process involving formaldehyde. That said, I'm using it and accepting the risk and hoping the veneer seals the interior suitably.

My father worked in plastics for 40 years and "food grade" is a very real thing. I don't think any manufacturer of coolers thought end users would store consumables in them, sealed for years on end… they are designed for short-term use. We expose ourselves to all sorts of environment hazards. I like smoking tobacco and drinking bourbon… probably also know to cause some malady in California. I still use my coolidor for overflow. In the end, do as you wish, as I certainly will.

PAtoNH:
    I guess I'm the "tree-hugger" here… do what you want but the effects of off-gassing are very real. Thousands of people were sickened by formaldehyde-processed drywall from China and melamine in pet foods and poorly processed jerky treats have killed/injured thousand of pets in a very short timeframe through liver/kidney damage worldwide. I work in the pharmaceutical/health industry and there are a lot of folks willing to tell you "everything will be okay". Where you place your trust is a matter of personal nature.

My new humi is built of mdf with a veneer of Spanish cedar. This was not disclosed in the sales material/product description. I'm not happy about that as the mdf is made with a process involving formaldehyde. That said, I'm using it and accepting the risk and hoping the veneer seals the interior suitably.

My father worked in plastics for 40 years and "food grade" is a very real thing. I don't think any manufacturer of coolers thought end users would store consumables in them, sealed for years on end… they are designed for short-term use. We expose ourselves to all sorts of environment hazards. I like smoking tobacco and drinking bourbon… probably also know to cause some malady in California. I still use my coolidor for overflow. In the end, do as you wish, as I certainly will.

There is a need for "tree huggers"....there is a need for those who are willing to open our eyes up to the inherent dangers we all face in life and there is also a need to subordinate things so as to equalize reality and not overkill to enhance a position. We face a ton of "what ifs" in our life where we take the information and then make informed decisions and choices. Having worked in both the wood and plastics industry I grew to hate plastics of any kind...I believe they pose more harm than they do good only because of the chemical makeup and trying to dispose of something where the breakdown of material is almost non existent...much like byproducts of nuclear energy we will deal with the ramifications and consequences at some future point. Food grade plastics are a reality and when you consider putting these items into a microwave the idea of more problems come to mind. Like yourself I try to live my life according to quality and how best to live life to it's fullest and sometimes there is associated risk in that.
    Martel:
    Cigary:
    I think he's making a comment about how his actually links to the site just by clicking on it. The one in your post is just a URL, not a link.
    LOL, yes I was.

Mind blowing time Cigary - (arrow thing) a href="URL HERE" (arrow thing) "Link text" (arrow thing) /a (arrow thing)
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Plastic kills dolphins and I love dolphins. DEATH TO PLASTIC!
    Rain:
    Plastic kills dolphins and I love dolphins. DEATH TO PLASTIC!
    I'll let Ccom know not to pack your orders in plastic from now on...you know...for the dolphins.