Home Cigar 101

Felt weather stripping.

jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
Has anyone here tried this as an extra layer of a good seal..? I have a fairly new box that does not go above 60 no matter what I do and I am looking for that little something to improve the seal.

Thought about just a simple single layer of black electrical tape also, and since it would be completely covered by the joining of the top to the bottom I am not worried about any contamination.

The more I look at the box and its construction the more I suspect the hinge areas. I can't afford to keep buying new boxes and I know I am not the first with this problem. I suspect that one of the handy types on this forum has run into the same problem and has a "fix".

Comments

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've heard of guys using blue painter's masking tape to improve a seal.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    IMO if it's that much trouble go cooler or tupperware
    Money can't buy taste
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, the thin spongy weather strip will work. I assume felt is fine too. It's worth a try.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lee.mcglynn:

The object is not to spend a lot of money. I have a end table to humidor conversion in the works.

Applied the tape and in 1 hour the humidity has gone up 5 points already. Cost less then $1.00.

• Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice. I have a little desktop that needs that done to it
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • flowbeeflowbee Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭
    jd50ae:
    Lee.mcglynn:

The object is not to spend a lot of money. I have a end table to humidor conversion in the works.

Applied the tape and in 1 hour the humidity has gone up 5 points already. Cost less then $1.00.

I have a glass top also, I think I will try this tape trick. Thankyou for the idea
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does the glue on the back of the tape smell harsh? Hope not.